Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Etiquette (ish) question watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    I've just received an invitation to my friend's birthday party, for "Helen & partner." I've never had one like that before, so am a little unsure about it. If I were still in Cambridge, it would be no problem; I'd just get one of my male friends to come with me, or use it as an opportunity to take out a certain someone. However, here at home it is more of an issue - nobody from uni lives near me and I don't really know any guys round here that well (I went to school in a different place). I'm sure my friend is probably being nice, as I haven't seen her for a while, so for all she knows I could have acquired a bf at university, but it's a little intimidating!

So is it rude to go on my own, and to say so in the RSVP? Plus, does this mean that the entire place will be full of couples and I will be forced to play gooseberry all night if I don't find someone to go with?
    Just go by yourself assuming its not one of those pairing off fancy sit downs.

ReputationRep:
    I would call your friend to be honest. But I also wouldn't worry. My bf told me he got an "and partner" invitation to his sister's wedding even though he was only about 14 at the time.

ReputationRep:
    I've just received an invitation to my friend's birthday party, for "Helen & partner." I've never had one like that before, so am a little unsure about it. If I were still in Cambridge, it would be no problem; I'd just get one of my male friends to come with me, or use it as an opportunity to take out a certain someone. However, here at home it is more of an issue - nobody from uni lives near me and I don't really know any guys round here that well (I went to school in a different place). I'm sure my friend is probably being nice, as I haven't seen her for a while, so for all she knows I could have acquired a bf at university, but it's a little intimidating!

So is it rude to go on my own, and to say so in the RSVP? Plus, does this mean that the entire place will be full of couples and I will be forced to play gooseberry all night if I don't find someone to go with?
    It's totally acceptable to turn up unaccompanied. If the RSVP asks for an indication of numbers, then I would say you are attending alone (i.e incase there's a sit down meal/table plan).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fluffy)
    It's totally acceptable to turn up unaccompanied. If the RSVP asks for an indication of numbers, then I would say you are attending alone (i.e incase there's a sit down meal/table plan).
    Cool, thanks Fluffy! Should all be ok. Just hope I'm not the only one on my own :eek:

ReputationRep:
    Cool, thanks Fluffy! Should all be ok. Just hope I'm not the only one on my own :eek:

Even if you are on your own and someone asks why justs say, 'My bfs in politics and the tabloids would have had a field day, you understand'

smile and act like you mean it...that'll confuse em

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cossack)
    Even if you are on your own and someone asks why justs say, 'My bfs in politics and the tabloids would have had a field day, you understand'

Heh heh - excellent plan! Will have to think up a cunning excuse to make things more entertaining

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cossack)

Def the best suggestion so far....

ReputationRep:
    Heh heh - excellent plan! Will have to think up a cunning excuse to make things more entertaining
    It comes from Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas (the best film ever made) 'My brothers in Politics, you understand' makes me giggle every time i hear it

ReputationRep:
    it sounds like it's a politeness thing - i wrote "and partners" on my birthday invites, just to show i'd allowed that many numbers. if you're worried you could just ring your friend and let her know it'll just be you?

Helen, i'll go with you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tis_me_lord)
    Helen, i'll go with you.
    Oh goody, I'll just play Mrs Robinson then

ReputationRep:
    phone your friend, say you can't bring anyone because they are all miles away and will she introduce you to someone there who also doesn't have a partner.

ReputationRep:
    i dont understand why you cant get a mate from uni to come down...make them stay for a couple of days..you can make it a little holiday!

love Katy ***

ReputationRep:

"Helen & Partner" indeed. The person that needs training in etiquette is the person who sent you the invitation. I wonder what he/she meant. Are you to bring your business partner or perhaps your tennis partner?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ickle_katy)
    i dont understand why you cant get a mate from uni to come down...make them stay for a couple of days..you can make it a little holiday!
    Because I'm too shy to ask, with the obvious implications it has attached to it.

Howard - could have been phrased better, but it's less rude than, say "Helen + boyfriend" or something. I think "+ guest" is the usual.

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.