Do I have the right to say no to GCSE statistics?

Watch this thread
Tinka99
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
My school has forcefully suddenly in year 11 entered everyone in our school for GCSE foundation statistics in order to increase the school's GCSE results by getting us an extra C. Only set 1 is entered for higher statistics. I am being entered for the higher paper in everything else. I don't want a C on my CV because i am capable of higher than a C.

I do 11 GCSE's and I would prefer to have 10 A*-B grades than a 11th C. Do I have the right to refusal?
exDel0
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 6 years ago
They're your results, either tell them that you aren't doing it or simply don't put it on your CV.
Tinka99
Rep:
(Original post by Cpt. Josh)
They're your results, either tell them that you aren't doing it or simply don't put it on your CV.
Can the school make me do a GCSE by force? I told my teacher I don't want to do it but she sad "hard luck you have to".
Tinka99
Rep:
Please reply I am desperate to hear from more people.
Edosawr
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
Ask to go on the higher tier. Prove to them you can get above a C by doing a timed mock after school one day or something.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Tinka99
Rep:
(Original post by Edosawr)
Ask to go on the higher tier. Prove to them you can get above a C by doing a timed mock after school one day or something.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I don't think they would enter me for the higher tier I am predicted a C in Maths and I am working day in day out to get that to an A*/A. I did ask if I could do the higher tier my teacher said only set 1 are the rest of the year is doing foundation. She said the foundation tier is easy to get a C which i don't want to do. I am sure if i put work into higher statistics I can get a A*/A the C in Maths is due to my own laziness. I managed to get C/D to A*/A in triple science sure i can do the same with Maths and statistics.
Nettled
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Tinka99)
I don't think they would enter me for the higher tier I am predicted a C in Maths and I am working day in day out to get that to an A*/A. I did ask if I could do the higher tier my teacher said only set 1 are the rest of the year is doing foundation. She said the foundation tier is easy to get a C which i don't want to do. I am sure if i put work into higher statistics I can get a A*/A the C in Maths is due to my own laziness. I managed to get C/D to A*/A in triple science sure i can do the same with Maths and statistics.
Get parents involved? They don't enter students in this early for exams so you still have time.
Tinka99
Rep:
(Original post by Nettled)
Get parents involved? They don't enter students in this early for exams so you still have time.
My parents won't recommend to them to put me in for higher statistics as they blasted at me for the C and labelled me as incapable in Maths. But am sure I can get them to get me out of this extra unwanted GCSE. Statistics coursework is starting this coming Monday and I desperately want to get out of it. I don't give a damn if I can't do the higher tier but I am not doing foundation at any cost.

My teacher said we have been entered already for June 2016. Is she speaking the truth according to you? Can my parents seriously refuse the school?
Nettled
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
My parents won't recommend to them to put me in for higher statistics as they blasted at me for the C and labelled me as incapable in Maths. But am sure I can get them to get me out of this extra unwanted GCSE. Statistics coursework is starting this coming Monday and I desperately want to get out of it. I don't give a damn if I can't do the higher tier but I am not doing foundation at any cost.

My teacher said we have been entered already for June 2016. Is she speaking the truth according to you? Can my parents seriously refuse the school?
They tend to care more if parents are involved. Oh yea coursework was awful. I remember doing it. What board you with for stats? It is possible to get a B in stats if you're with Edexcel as you can achieve higher than an C on the coursework but you'll have to use more advanced techniques.

Ah I'm not too sure now actually. But in my year a entire set dropped out of stats as it was too much for the entire set.
Tinka99
Rep:
They tend to care more if parents are involved. Oh yea coursework was awful. I remember doing it. What board you with for stats? It is possible to get a B in stats if you're with Edexcel as you can achieve higher than an C on the coursework but you'll have to use more advanced techniques.

Ah I'm not too sure now actually. But in my year a entire set dropped out of stats as it was too much for the entire set.
I do Edexcel Statistics and someone did ask if it's possible to get higher then a C and the teacher for said no. Our teacher made us do a produce practice coursework and it was not a pleasant experience. I am not putting in that much effort into the whole thing again.

What were you allowed to take note sheets into the real coursework?
frances98
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
No-one can force you at all! Its up to you!
Nettled
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
I do Edexcel Statistics and someone did ask if it's possible to get higher then a C and the teacher for said no. Our teacher made us do a produce practice coursework and it was not a pleasant experience. I am not putting in that much effort into the whole thing again.

What were you allowed to take note sheets into the real coursework?
Maybe that's because she won't teach you the extra techniques to get the A. eg. Spearmans Rank..

Yeh I think we did if I remember correctly. I also did edexcel. Feel free to shout out to me for any help
Tinka99
Rep:
Maybe that's because she won't teach you the extra techniques to get the A. eg. Spearmans Rank..

Yeh I think we did if I remember correctly. I also did edexcel. Feel free to shout out to me for any help
I think if I can get a B I will carry on with statistics. Never heard of Spearman's Rank before but I will find out what it is. Our teacher more eager to get us a C and increase the school's results than actually get us a good grade. I am aiming for a B. Thank you for your help.
Nettled
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
I think if I can get a B I will carry on with statistics. Never heard of Spearman's Rank before but I will find out what it is. Our teacher more eager to get us a C and increase the school's results than actually get us a good grade. I am aiming for a B. Thank you for your help.
Make sure you include the more advance techniques. There's more than just spearman's rank. Perhaps get one of your mates to help you with the coursework from the higher sets? Anways, best of luck x
ToryBoy
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
My school has forcefully suddenly in year 11 entered everyone in our school for GCSE foundation statistics in order to increase the school's GCSE results by getting us an extra C. Only set 1 is entered for higher statistics. I am being entered for the higher paper in everything else. I don't want a C on my CV because i am capable of higher than a C.

I do 11 GCSE's and I would prefer to have 10 A*-B grades than a 11th C. Do I have the right to refusal?
The only exam boards that offer GCSE Stats are AQA and Edexcel - the two most popular. The grade you get for it will be displayed on your certificate with your other subjects relevant to that exam board. Simply appeal to the head of department. Otherwise, I would be grateful for being offered another GCSE. If you must do it, order the student book and put in extra hours; convince your teacher to let you do the higher tier - you'll be allowed even if no one else in your class is. You just need to prove your ability. I promise this will not affect your other subjects. Some people do as many as 15.

Seriously, don't think you can't do higher just because others aren't. Your Maths teachers will be delighted to hear you want to do higher. Because they will see an aspirational student - quite rare - and get another A* on their performance table. You will get an A*. All GCSE Stats content is on mymaths as well.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (21)
21%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (12)
12%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (6)
6%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (17)
17%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (23)
23%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (21)
21%

Watched Threads