The Student Room Group

An orange potato's boat ride to success

Trying to be original with the title... :lol: :bee: This thing is more for myself than anything but you are all welcome to join me on this boat ride :hoppy:

Background:

Last year I got...

Edexcel Biology: D
Edexcel Maths: D
Edexcel Chemistry: E
OCR Psychology: U (Did not turn up to one of the exams although I did get a B in one!)

This was due to many reasons such as my depression, my lack of motivation that came with the depression and other personal issues, my leaving revision to the literal last minute and my "If its too hard I wont do it" method. This was all inevitably going to make me fail and I knew my results before I had even sat the exam. This year however I plan to change everything, the school year so far has been pretty **** with January exams being a complete fail but its never too late to change!

I dropped Psychology and I am planning to resit one of the papers, I decided to repeat year 12 and I am doing AQA Chemistry (different exam board than last year and its linear now) and Edexcel Maths. However decided to continue with A2 Biology, although atm its looking like a really bad idea.

Goals:

I want to apply for neuroscience next year and hopefully get into Nottingham :h: For that I need AAB-AAA which is quite a jump from last year and hopefully I can make it!

Hopefully get an A in Biology, I definitely want to get a high A in Maths but statistics always lets me down and I want to get a B or an A in Chemistry. Hopefully an A because the new exam board seems to be a bit easier than Edexcel. And then hopefully a B or C in psychology (don't want to worry about this one too much)!

I want my attendance to be on point. I am probably in the 60-70% atm because I've missed 2 weeks and I take at least one day off per week. Its a bad habit and I need to break it!! I want to go in everyday and miss one day/lesson once a month at the least!

At the moment plan:

The first thing I need to do is assess my current situation and try and tidy up a bit because its currently just one huge mess. I've missed the past 2 weeks of school (due to being VERY ill) so I have a tonne of stuff to catch up, Ask my biology teacher for an extension on coursework, I need to submit my entry/sign up for a psychology resit (which I think I have to pay a late fee for now), I'm trying to look for a job, I want to sign up for a couple Summer schools, I want to make a routine and I want to create a revision timetable :h: I'm going to spend the rest of this week trying to sort that all out so hopefully next week I can have a fresh start!

My more long term plan is to stick to my revision timetable, get homework done during free periods, use all the available resources around me (especially when I don't understand something), do lots of past papers and hopefully improve my mock results which were terrible for the most part :getmecoat: within a month or 2.

I'll hopefully have a revision timetable/plan up for next week!

I am also getting help regarding my mental health with therapy and medication now so hopefully things will get a tad easier!

I also have a few things I want to implement into my life that will hopefully make me feel happier and thus helping me concentrate more on getting the grades I want to achieve. Things like running at least once a week, reading more instead of using the internet (especially neuroscience books), meditation, diet etc

HOPEFULLY THIS YEAR WILL BE MY YEAR :party:

I know its going to take a lot of dedication and commitment (2 things that I've been seriously lacking for a long time) but I am super ready to take on this challenge!! I'll start off my posting what exams I'm sitting this year (in a few minutes) and hopefully next week I'll post the revision timetable/plan that I intend to follow :h:

Scroll to see replies

Wow it sounds like things have been super hard on you :bricks:
Go for those A's! It'll be better this year because you have more direction :smile: Besides, when you blog about your revision it motivates you to do more. If you ever want a study-buddy then I'm here (for Chemistry and maths anyway - I wouldn't know where to start with your A2 subject!)

May your efforts bring you success!

P.S. Loving the blog name!
:titan::titan::titan:
:work::work::work:
Original post by Bhansongal98
Wow it sounds like things have been super hard on you :bricks:
Go for those A's! It'll be better this year because you have more direction :smile: Besides, when you blog about your revision it motivates you to do more. If you ever want a study-buddy then I'm here (for Chemistry and maths anyway - I wouldn't know where to start with your A2 subject!)

May your efforts bring you success!

P.S. Loving the blog name!
:titan::titan::titan:
:work::work::work:

Thank you :hugs:

What exam board do you do for Chemistry? :h:
:eek4: it sounds like you should be super organised by the end of this week :tongue:

Good luck with everything :rave: :rave:
Exams I will be sitting this year!

Maths:
Core Mathematics 1 - Wednesday 18th May
Core Mathematics 2 - Wednesday 25th May
Statistics - Wednesday 15th June

Biology:
Unit 1: Lifestyle, Transport, Genes and Health - Wednesday 25th May
Unit 2: Development, Plants and the Environment - Tuesday 7th June
Unit 4: The Natural Environment and SpeciesSurvival - Thursday 16th June
Unit 5: Energy, Exercise and Co-ordination - Thursday 23rd June

Psychology:
G542 Core Studies - 23rd May

I just realized I'm not doing Chemistry this year :lol: That is actually a really big relief xD Its something that I really need to work on, the only problem is predicted grades. My Chemistry teacher is really bipolar and so are my grades in Chemistry. Sometimes I'll get an E and sometimes an A. So I can go slowly with this one but I also have to start showing consistent progress instead of everything all over the place so that I know that I am actually improving and so my teacher knows and so I can be predicted an A or a B :h:
Original post by SeanFM
:eek4: it sounds like you should be super organised by the end of this week :tongue:

Good luck with everything :rave: :rave:

Thank You :hugs:
Original post by bluemadhatter
Thank you :hugs:

What exam board do you do for Chemistry? :h:

I do OCR chem :smile:
Sounds like you're really trying to turn things around for yourself!
Aim high and hopefully you'll get the results you deserve at the end of the year ☺️

Posted from TSR Mobile
Where'd you go OP :cry2:

I hope that studying is going well during your break :h:
Original post by SeanFM
Where'd you go OP :cry2:

I hope that studying is going well during your break :h:

looks like OP has been banned
Hello! So I'm back and I'm just moving my posts from my other account to this one.

Written 17-02-2016

Revision Timetable/Plan (Half term)

Urgent
Important

Things I need to do/complete;

C2 Question Sheets (Hwk)

S1 Pg 93 Q 3, 5, 7 and Pg99 Test yourself questions (Hwk)

Print it out or write out all missed biology notes

Biology coursework

Biology unit 4 revision

Psychology G542 revision

2 Chemistry Unit 1 papers

Biology Unit 1 revision

Biology Unit 2 revision

S1 revision

Okay so I have missed out on FOUR WHOLE DAYS worth of revision but I have FIVE MORE LEFT which I will now dedicate to pure revision I plan to use the pomodoro technique (25 minutes work and 10 minutes break) except with coursework which I will do 1 hour then 15 minutes break because coursework is gonna take ages Each completed pomodoro will be represented by one of these babies: I will try to do at least 10 pomodora's a day (spending about 6 hours per day on revision) although I wont swear on this cause I'm not sure how long each topic will take. And then 2 CW pomodora's per day so I would have spent about 10 hours on coursework >.<

Okay let's start the timetable

Wednesday 17th February:

Biology Coursework

Bio Unit 4 - Photosynthesis

Bio Unit 4 - How ecosystems work

S1 - Representing data

S1 - Pg 93 (Questions)

Thursday 18th February:

Biology Coursework

Bio Unit 4 - Global warming

S1 - Probability

S1 - Pg 99 (Test Yourself)

Friday 19th February:

Biology Coursework

Bio Unit 4 - Speciation and evolution

Bio Unit 4 - Forensic investigation and analysis

S1 - Correlation and regression

Bio Unit 1 - DNA (2.1)

Saturday 20th February:

Biology Coursework

Bio Unit 4 - Microorganisms and disease

S1 - Discrete Random Variables

Bio Unit 2 - Animal cells and asexual reproduction

Sunday 21st February:

Biology Coursework

Bio Unit 4 - People Vs pathogens

S1 - The Normal Distribution

C2 Question Sheets

This is my "baseline" timetable, I want definitely complete the things above and if I have time I will then do other things such as Chemistry revision or Psychology revision. I will be back tonight to let you all know how I did with my Wednesday Revision
(edited 8 years ago)
Written 18-02-2016

Wednesday 17th February:
(6)

Okay so today did not go to plan at all but it wasn't ALL bad...
Let us start with what I was able to do;

70% of Photosynthesis ( 2 's and a bit xD)

Discrete Random Variables - Notes, Exam Questions and Completed/Understood (2 's)

S1 Pg 93 Q3,5,7 and Pg99 TY Q1-5 - Statistics homework completed (2 's and a bit)

and that is all and I literally just finished :L I started around 3pm with my Biology coursework but I realized that I had so much to do and it was going to take a while to "get started" so I moved it to the next morning. And then after like an hour or 2, I started the photosynthesis! I am actually pretty proud of my photosynthesis notes and then being able to answer SOME questions on them... or at least read the mark scheme. But then it came to non-cyclic photophosphorylation and I zoned out so hard. I couldn't concentrate and I was just so bored of photosynthesis, I started procrastinating for a good 2/3 hours >.< Then I gave up on Biology and moved to statistics which was the most successful I completed an entire topic, I did a bunch of exam questions and I completed the long ass homework which around that topic anyway

Things I have learnt from today:

Music does not help me study All it did was help me procrastinate and I couldn't really concentrate (lots of singing along and dancing) as well compared to when I wasn't listening to any. This is a hard one to acknowledge cause I really love listening to music but if it doesn't help then its to go... whilst I'm studying anyway :P

2/3 hour breaks are never a good idea I had about 2 of these and it really disrupted my motivation and study mode and not to mention it was a huge waste of time (so much that I only finished at 12am). If I am going to procrastinate then it must only be 1 hour.

If you are stuck on something then MOVE ON. When I started not understanding what I was reading/thinking it was difficult, it would have been a good idea to just be like "okay lets stop this and move topics/subjects" and I would have completely statistics MUCH sooner and even been able to go back to biology. But instead I stared at the page whilst procrastinating for 2 hours.

Its okay not to do everything you planned to do So I was probably only half as productive as I planned to be and usually this is something that would probably make me feel a bit sad. BUT I completed some of what I was meant to do and to make up for the things I didn't - I started some new tasks and completed that Yes I didnt reach my 10 + 2 CW 's but I did get half way and that's better than nothing I am still a little proud that I managed to start revision!! Hopefully today will be a bit more productive

Tomorrow I will try to complete photosynthesis (however hard it might be!), I will try to complete global warming (ecosystem isn't as important imo), I will try to complete probabilities AND I will try do coursework. I also learnt that it's probably best to do coursework after I have finished all the main more straight forward **** >.< Cause coursework is such a hassle and I don't want to spend hours procrastinating it

SLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP TIME
(edited 8 years ago)
Written 18-02-2016

Wednesday 17th February:
(6)

Okay so today did not go to plan at all but it wasn't ALL bad...
Let us start with what I was able to do;

70% of Photosynthesis ( 2 's and a bit xD)

Discrete Random Variables - Notes, Exam Questions and Completed/Understood (2 's)

S1 Pg 93 Q3,5,7 and Pg99 TY Q1-5 - Statistics homework completed (2 's and a bit)

and that is all and I literally just finished :L I started around 3pm with my Biology coursework but I realized that I had so much to do and it was going to take a while to "get started" so I moved it to the next morning. And then after like an hour or 2, I started the photosynthesis! I am actually pretty proud of my photosynthesis notes and then being able to answer SOME questions on them... or at least read the mark scheme. But then it came to non-cyclic photophosphorylation and I zoned out so hard. I couldn't concentrate and I was just so bored of photosynthesis, I started procrastinating for a good 2/3 hours >.< Then I gave up on Biology and moved to statistics which was the most successful I completed an entire topic, I did a bunch of exam questions and I completed the long ass homework which around that topic anyway

Things I have learnt from today:

Music does not help me study All it did was help me procrastinate and I couldn't really concentrate (lots of singing along and dancing) as well compared to when I wasn't listening to any. This is a hard one to acknowledge cause I really love listening to music but if it doesn't help then its to go... whilst I'm studying anyway :P

2/3 hour breaks are never a good idea I had about 2 of these and it really disrupted my motivation and study mode and not to mention it was a huge waste of time (so much that I only finished at 12am). If I am going to procrastinate then it must only be 1 hour.

If you are stuck on something then MOVE ON. When I started not understanding what I was reading/thinking it was difficult, it would have been a good idea to just be like "okay lets stop this and move topics/subjects" and I would have completely statistics MUCH sooner and even been able to go back to biology. But instead I stared at the page whilst procrastinating for 2 hours.

Its okay not to do everything you planned to do So I was probably only half as productive as I planned to be and usually this is something that would probably make me feel a bit sad. BUT I completed some of what I was meant to do and to make up for the things I didn't - I started some new tasks and completed that Yes I didnt reach my 10 + 2 CW 's but I did get half way and that's better than nothing I am still a little proud that I managed to start revision!! Hopefully today will be a bit more productive

Tomorrow I will try to complete photosynthesis (however hard it might be!), I will try to complete global warming (ecosystem isn't as important imo), I will try to complete probabilities AND I will try do coursework. I also learnt that it's probably best to do coursework after I have finished all the main more straight forward **** >.< Cause coursework is such a hassle and I don't want to spend hours procrastinating it

SLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP TIME

:lol: dancing, awesome.

But nice, those are 4 very important lessons :K: must use those myself.

Hope your courseworks and deadlines etc all go okay :tongue:

Oops, didn't see the written date.. love the song :rofl:
(edited 8 years ago)
Written 22-02-2016 (or now)

So after that Wednesday, I did finish photosynthesis and even created some songs to try and help me remember;
http://vocaroo.com/i/s1NlKfHuJUKb
I KNOW I can't sing okay so don't judge me :cry: :rofl:
I also did go over percentages fully.

I never was able to finish my coursework or even start it and actually only sent my "second draft" in on like the 7th of March. BUT I did realise my mistakes and the 2 main things I have learnt over the past month and a bit are;

Its OKAY to ask for help and support when you need it and when you do ask for it you end being 110% more productive than when you are struggling on your own. Its not that you are incapable of doing it on your own, its the fact you have the dreaded "emotional block" that stops you from being able to do it on your own.

SET REALISTIC GOALS. My plan for the half term was totally unrealistic. I'd set myself such unrealistic expectations doing hours of work a day that I was absolutely exhausted after day 2 and just gave up the rest of the holiday/felt depressed about not doing what I was meant to do. I've got to give myself small manageable chunks instead of trying to overwork myself which results in no work anyway.

:nyan: :nyan: :nyan: :nyan:

Sorry just needed to add a little colour :giggle:
Revision timetable (Easter Holiday)
:hoppy: :nyan: :hoppy:

Monday;
9-11am - Unit 1 Biology (Past papers)
9-10pm - Milgram Case Study

Tuesday;
9-11am - Core Mathematics 1 (Past papers)
9-10pm - Pilivian Case Study

Wednesday;
9-11am - Statistics (Past papers)
9-10pm - Reicher and Haslam Case Study

Thursday;
9-11am - Unit 2 Biology (Past papers)
9-10pm - Loftus and Palmers Case Study

Friday;
9-11am - Core Mathematics 2
9-10pm - Baron Cohen et al Case Study

Saturday;
9-12am - Unit 5 Biology (Past papers) - in between 20 minute break
9-10pm - Savage-Rumbaugh Case Study

Sunday;
9-12am - Unit 6 Biology (Past papers) - in between 20 minute break
9-10pm - Samuel and Bryant Case Study

Repeat this in the second week however with the following case studies;
- Bandura
- Freud
- Rosenhan
- Thigpen and Cleckley
- Griffiths
- Maguire
- Dement and Cleitman
- Sperry (On the Monday)

Between the time frames (11-9pm) I plan to watch videos on the topic I'd done that day and reading material on that topic. For Maths I'll probably only do this for Statistics and for the days I do C1 and C2, I'll either do another past paper or 2 OR/AND watch videos/read material for Biology. I will also allow myself to procrastinate between the time frames but not during the time frames.

I feel like this is a realistic plan that I will be able to follow and successfully do. I will update this blog every day at around 10/11pm or the following morning if I'm tired stating what I have achieved/done. I had someone sit down with me in the library for about an hour and help me make this plan which is part of my "asking for help" thing and it really made the world of a difference :h:

Today I am simply finishing up my final draft for Biology coursework then going to send it in!

Okay now that I have procrastinated for god knows how long writing this... TIME TO START :dance: :lol:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by SeanFM
:lol: dancing, awesome.

But nice, those are 4 very important lessons :K: must use those myself.

Hope your courseworks and deadlines etc all go okay :tongue:

Oops, didn't see the written date.. love the song :rofl:

Thanks xD

and LOL :rofl:
shits getting real
Okay okay okay digging this old thing up and hopefully my posts will be more consistent and productive.
Lets start with listing closest upcoming events;

4th May - Chemistry Inorganic and Physical Mock (Not that serious)
5th May - Chemistry Organic and Physical Mock (Not that serious)
5th May - S1 Mock (Most likely wont turn up to because it will hurt my confidence and I am especially not ready for this one)
6th May - Unit 5 Biology Mock (I think its on the 6th anyway and wont miss and will try to get at least a C)
18th May - Core Mathematics 1 Exam (Try to do a paper a day for this one)
23rd May - Psychology Core Studies Exam (Have not even opened up the folder, must start covering content for this)
25th May - Core Mathematics 2 Exam (Paper every 2 days)
25th May - Unit 1 Biology Exam (Straight to past paper revision)

Okay so this is basically May, I start study leave on the 16th of May I THINK and even if I don't I wont be coming into school :lol:
Red is urgent and bold is real exams. My next 2 posts will be motivation post and my plan for today. I will also be hopefully utilising this thread; http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3896671
Okay okay okay digging this old thing up and hopefully my posts will be more consistent and productive.
Lets start with listing closest upcoming events;

4th May - Chemistry Inorganic and Physical Mock (Not that serious)
5th May - Chemistry Organic and Physical Mock (Not that serious)
5th May - S1 Mock (Most likely wont turn up to because it will hurt my confidence and I am especially not ready for this one)
6th May - Unit 5 Biology Mock (I think its on the 6th anyway and wont miss and will try to get at least a C)
18th May - Core Mathematics 1 Exam (Try to do a paper a day for this one)
23rd May - Psychology Core Studies Exam (Have not even opened up the folder, must start covering content for this)
25th May - Core Mathematics 2 Exam (Paper every 2 days)
25th May - Unit 1 Biology Exam (Straight to past paper revision)

Okay so this is basically May, I start study leave on the 16th of May I THINK and even if I don't I wont be coming into school :lol:
Red is urgent and bold is real exams. My next 2 posts will be motivation post and my plan for today. I will also be hopefully utilising this thread; http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3896671

So many exams in a month :eek4: even if you aren't going to them all :tongue:

You can do it! :rave: :rave:
Motivational posts that people have posted in response to my "Help I've done no revision threads" (saves me from making another thread if I'm feeling unmotivated) in the past couple months;

Original post by chickenonsteroids
It'll be better after I start.Right now, the work seems overwhelming or scary. That's just an exaggeration created in your head. When you start working, you'll realise you had nothing to worry about.

Original post by samb1234
No one can tell you what grades you are capable of getting. The only thing you can truthfully say is that it is always possible to get better, and that chances are if you work between now and the exams you will be in a much better position than you are now. Get working and dont give up, giving up would be a complete waste of all the time you have put in so far, and besides as you say its only like a month until exams, so surely its worth putting in the effort for just one month and then you can make decisions about what you want to do afterwards, as well as hopefully having more options open to you.

Original post by 999tigger
Just get off TSR after this and revise as hard as you can in the time left, then try your best in the exam. We dont know how clever you might be, how much work youve done so far, how much work you will do in the time left, how well you will do in the exam. It's not ideal, but if you wnat the better results, then you just need focus and try your best.Leave the worying and fretting till after the exam. You can make a positive difference now, so get on with it.
Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes
You know only you can make it "realistic", for example if a lost soul next year asks the same question, you can say"I had 2 weeks, I did brilliantly..." or you can say "I had 2 weeks, I gave up, don't leave it down to two weeks (even though he/she is going too anyway...)"Come on, don't feel disheartened, only you can change this situation! :lovehug:
Original post by Anon_98
2 weeks is plenty of time provided that you use it wisely. I'm presuming that your first exam is a resit so that means it hopefully won't be too difficult anyway in comparison to A2 stuff. Breathe books and you'll be fine!You don't want a repeat of what happened at AS. :cry:You know how utterly terrible you felt on results day last year so why are you doing this to yourself again? I can promise you that the feeling will be 10 times worse this time round. Just do it. Prove to yourself that you are capable of whatever you set your mind to.Make yourself proud, bmh. :heart:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending