HAZZZA
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hi everyone,
I'm studying for my dissertation, divided into four chapters. I feel ok with the primary texts and my work on them, but am stressed about the amount of secondary scholarship that needs to go in each chapter.

That's why I'm posting on here - anyone who did a dissertation, do you think there is a certain amount of work you should be using/a minimum amount of texts, or does it just "feel" like you have got enough?

I think I feel added pressure now I need a certain mark in the 2.1 category to be accepted onto a master's, and am worried that missing out secondary reading could make me lose that chance.

It feels a bit as if my university at the moment gives us minimal help, compared to other departments like history or philosophy, and I am interested in others' experiences.

Thanks!
The Empire Odyssey
  • Study Helper
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by HAZZZA)
Hi everyone,
I'm studying for my dissertation, divided into four chapters. I feel ok with the primary texts and my work on them, but am stressed about the amount of secondary scholarship that needs to go in each chapter.

That's why I'm posting on here - anyone who did a dissertation, do you think there is a certain amount of work you should be using/a minimum amount of texts, or does it just "feel" like you have got enough?

I think I feel added pressure now I need a certain mark in the 2.1 category to be accepted onto a master's, and am worried that missing out secondary reading could make me lose that chance.

It feels a bit as if my university at the moment gives us minimal help, compared to other departments like history or philosophy, and I am interested in others' experiences.

Thanks!
As a fellow uni student, since the 1st year, they always say it's vitally important to add secondary sources or materials into your essays. What makes you think this doesn't apply to a dissertation? You'd need a dozen of secondary sources! I was expected to put in 10-12 sources in a Shakespeare essay that consisted of 2000 words at 1st year. I expect it would be quadruple that in a dissertation!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • University of Birmingham
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (11)
6.01%
They might tell the bully (18)
9.84%
I don't think they'd understand (32)
17.49%
It might lead to more bullying (70)
38.25%
There's nothing they could do (52)
28.42%

Watched Threads