Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

V919 - Train Service Delay Compensation Bill 2016 (Second Reading) Watch

Announcements
  • View Poll Results: Should this bill be passed into law?
    As many are of the opinion, Aye
    95.65%
    On the contrary, No
    2.17%
    Abstain
    2.17%

• Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    V919 - Train Service Delay Compensation Bill 2016 (Second Reading), TSR Conservative and Unionist Party
    A

B I L L

TO

Simplify the process of claiming compensation for delayed train services.

BE IT ENACTED by The Queen's most Excellent Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Commons in this present Parliament assembled, in accordance with the provisions of the Parliament Acts 1911 and 1949, and by the authority of the same, as follows:—

1 Delayed services
    (1) All train operators must have a public page listed on their website displaying all services that have been delayed by 30 minutes or more.
    aaaaa(i) This page must be accessible through their menu bar.
    (2) These delayed services must remain on their website for 60 days.

2 Compensation Process
    (1) All train operators must allow customers up to 60 days from the date of travel to claim compensation.
    (2) All train operators must offer compensation in the following ways:
    aaaaa(i) rail voucher through the post redeemable at ticket office, or at self-service machines
    aaaaa(ii) online voucher to be used on any official website offering train tickets, including third party sites
    aaaaa(iii) cheque through the post
    aaaaa(iv) BACS transfer
    aaaaa(v) companies must offer a refund through their website. If tickets were purchased through a third party website, this website may claim back the cost from the operator.

3 Compensation Payout
    (1) For delays of between 30–59 minutes, train operators must payout at least 50% of a single ticket, or 25% of a return ticket.
    (2) For delays of between 60–89 minutes, train operators must payout at least 100% of a single ticket, or 50% of a return ticket.
    (3) For delays of 90 minutes or more, train operators must payout 150% of a single ticket, or 75% of a return ticket.

4 Commencement, Extent and Short Title
    (1) This Act may be cited as the Train Service Delay Compensation Act 2016.
    (2) This Act extends to the entire United Kingdom; and
    (3) Comes into force on 1st March 2016 following Royal Assent.
    Notes
    Spoiler:
    Show

This Bill seeks to make it easier for customers to claim compensation for delays.

Having train operators list all delayed services by 30 minutes or more makes it easy for the customer to find any services they could claim for, and increases transparency year round.

Currently, train operators are only required to give 30 days to claim, and to pay out in rail vouchers which must be redeemed at a ticket office. This means that it's harder for customers to make savings online through sites offering early discounts, and renders the compensation useless if the customer does not travel by rail within 12 months. Whilst some companies may offer to pay out in other ways (eg. cash), there is no requirement for them to do so.

Sections 3(1) and 3(2) are the current requirements for payout, but if services are delayed for an extended amount of time, customers should receive further compensation for these ridiculously timed delays.
    Notes for 2nd Reading
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Added s. 1(1)(i) – must be accessible through menu bar, to stop companies hiding away the page.
    Added s. 2(2)(v) – companies must offer refund through website.
    Changed s. 3(3) – made this clearer.

I did not add in about season tickets. Season tickets are dealt with slightly differently, and I feel for this Bill, it's a more complex issue which can be dealt with separately.
    I also did not change the minimum time for a delay to claim compensation. I do not feel this is necessary.

ReputationRep:
    could this be the first clean slate I've seen in MHoC?

ReputationRep:
    Can I ask members of the House who have never been on a delayed train and/or never tried to claim compensation to declare the fact? If there are any? Curiosity only?

Aye to the Bill.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheDefiniteArticle)
    could this be the first clean slate I've seen in MHoC?
    Wondering if someone's going to Abstain just because you've said this now

Overall, I am extremely pleased with the comments the First Reading received, and am even more pleased with the way it has developed to Second Reading! I like this Bill!
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by barnetlad)
    Can I ask members of the House who have never been on a delayed train and/or never tried to claim compensation to declare the fact? If there are any? Curiosity only?

Aye to the Bill.
    If they haven't ever been delayed, then they are extremely lucky! (or have never set foot on a train before!)
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Damn you
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Financier)
    Damn you
    I swear I genuinely didn't see those posts, I just don't care that much about bills with such little importance/effect
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DMcGovern)
    I swear I genuinely didn't see those posts, I just don't care that much about bills with such little importance/effect
    From that, I assume you're never delayed on trains enough to make compensation worthwhile then...
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mobbsy91)
    From that, I assume you're never delayed on trains enough to make compensation worthwhile then...
    I am, but not to such significant times - although that's partly due to the fact that the trains I take are nationalised and are always on time...

Also these are mainly quibble bills - I don't really have a firm opinion on many of them so I'll usually read it, and then make a decision - if I'm not sure I just abstain.

ReputationRep:

Aye to the Bill.
    If they haven't ever been delayed, then they are extremely lucky! (or have never set foot on a train before!)
    I don't use them that often, must have only taken trains around 20 times in my life, but I've never been delayed by more than a couple minutes, and therefore have never had to try to claim compensation. If we go into the underground however, I've had to wait many a time between 10-20 minutes for trains that are meant to come every 4-5 minutes
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kay_Winters)
    I don't use them that often, must have only taken trains around 20 times in my life, but I've never been delayed by more than a couple minutes, and therefore have never had to try to claim compensation. If we go into the underground however, I've had to wait many a time between 10-20 minutes for trains that are meant to come every 4-5 minutes
    Ahh not bad then! Yeh, I haven't been too badly affected by underground before, except for just straight out cancelled services, but at least then you know where you stand, and ideal time to sit back in uberEXEC!!

ReputationRep:
    Ahh not bad then! Yeh, I haven't been too badly affected by underground before, except for just straight out cancelled services, but at least then you know where you stand, and ideal time to sit back in uberEXEC!!
    The underground tends to be fairly reliable, I rarely have to wait more than 4 minutes on average I'd guess, just sometimes, especially when you have the same tube line going two different branches it can take a while for your one to turn up. As for cancelled services, it's always known in advance so it's easy enough to try and plan another route, or if you can't get to places to let your school/employer/friends who whoever know
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    The underground tends to be fairly reliable, I rarely have to wait more than 4 minutes on average I'd guess, just sometimes, especially when you have the same tube line going two different branches it can take a while for your one to turn up. As for cancelled services, it's always known in advance so it's easy enough to try and plan another route, or if you can't get to places to let your school/employer/friends who whoever know
    Yeh, well to be honest, it's more the capacity they hold... depending on when I leave uni on a Friday if I go home for the weekend, I really hit rush hour bang on, and with a bag, can be quite a squeeze sometimes - would much rather just take the helicopter when my dad's not using it to be honest.

ReputationRep:
    Yeh, well to be honest, it's more the capacity they hold... depending on when I leave uni on a Friday if I go home for the weekend, I really hit rush hour bang on, and with a bag, can be quite a squeeze sometimes - would much rather just take the helicopter when my dad's not using it to be honest.
    That is true, the rush both in the morning and in the evening, even towards the edge of London where I am, can be hectic.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    That is true, the rush both in the morning and in the evening, even towards the edge of London where I am, can be hectic.
    Yes, definitely!
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    This triggers me xD
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by James Milibanter)
    This triggers me xD
    Gutted.
    • Community Assistant
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Oops. Clicked no by accident :lol: can someone change to yes
    • Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:

Aye to the Bill.
    I've never been on a delayed train, though I very rarely travel by train and avoid it if I can help it.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Snufkin)
    Oops. Clicked no by accident :lol: can someone change to yes
    Nooooooooo, let Mobbsy be annoyed at missing out on 0% Nay.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 1, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Debate and current affairs forum guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.