Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Can you british people explain what "banter" means ? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I see it thrown around a lot by you brits...
    What the hell does it mean ???

ReputationRep:
    Banter is banter. There is no other way to describe it. Its like 'cheeky nandos'. If you don't know, you don't know

ReputationRep:
    having a laugh, messing around etc

ReputationRep:
    Having the pure craic.

ReputationRep:
    "The playful and friendly exchange of teasing remarks"

Teasing remarks means sexual remarks, in my experience...

ReputationRep:
    Having a laugh really

From Google "The playful and friendly exchange of teasing remarks"

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Basically you go buy your white nike air max for £95 and call your mates, asking if they want a cheeky nandos; then you go to nandos and get a cheeky hot burger with spicy chips and unlimited coke for £2.50, having some gr8 banter with the lads init.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shawtyb)
    having a laugh, messing around etc
    Yes, but "having a laugh, messing around" is not always banter - sometimes it can turn out to be shanter :lol:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Weedeater.)
    Yes, but "having a laugh, messing around" is not always banter - sometimes it can turn out to be shanter :lol:
    oh god lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vintagegate)
    I see it thrown around a lot by you brits...
    What the hell does it mean ???
    Banters banter

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mayhem™)
    Basically you go buy your white nike air max for £95 and call your mates, asking if they want a cheeky nandos; then you go to nandos and get a cheeky hot burger with spicy chips and unlimited coke for £2.50, having some gr8 banter with the lads init.
    "cheeky nandos" is one of those phrases I get but kinda dont get at the same time.

Because i understand the use of the word "cheeky" in this context, is a bit like "I took a cheeky swig of Nick's pint while his back was turned", but I never really got what it is that makes going to Nandos cheeky

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Weedeater.)
    "cheeky nandos" is one of those phrases I get but kinda dont get at the same time.

Because i understand the use of the word "cheeky" in this context, is a bit like "I took a cheeky swig of Nick's pint while his back was turned", but I never really got what it is that makes going to Nandos cheeky
    you have to go with the lads and have those trendy sneakers init

ReputationRep:
    you have to go with the lads and have those trendy sneakers init
    quite like my air maxs!

ReputationRep:
    Mate it's hard to explain, but I'll try yeah?

Right, look, one day you'll just be having a cheeky Nandos with the lads in town and your mate called Smithy will come out with something that's just so banterous. And you'll be like 'oi Smithy you're a ledge, the true Archbishop of Banterbury' and all the lads join in with the top quality banter, init.

ReputationRep:
    Basically people act like complete ********s and then claim 'it's banter' and that therefore means they should avoid any repercussions because anyone complaining 'can't take a joke'.

ReputationRep:
    Well you see, in the year 1865, the Archbishop of Banterbury decided to go back in time to the late Cretaceous period, where he came across a Bantersaurus Rex. Now this Bantersaurus Rex was actually really a timid old dinosaur; I guess you could say that it was quite a banticlimatic moment for the Archbishop. So, he got bored and went forward in time again. Unfortunately, he ended up in Bantanamo Bay.

He got home soon though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elen90)
    Mate it's hard to explain, but I'll try yeah?

Right, look, one day you'll just be having a cheeky Nandos with the lads in town and your mate called Smithy will come out with something that's just so banterous. And you'll be like 'oi Smithy you're a ledge, the true Archbishop of Banterbury' and all the lads join in with the top quality banter, init.
    Too much britishness there for me lol...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by longshot100)
    Making jokes towards each other
    lighthearted funny topics/ gossip
    literal LOL OMFG I CAN'T STOP LAUGHING moments

examples
    "Mate, I saw you checking out Mr Smith in lesson"
    "Urgh, Wtf are you on about, you f***ing r***rd, I'll slap you"
    "Relax, it's just banter"

"What if the chicken at Nando's is actually made by Los Pollos Hermanos?"
    "... AND Mr O'Neill is Gus!!!"
    "which means that Mr Smith would be Walter!"
    "so Nando's chicken is made from meth?! No wonder it's so good!!"
    ... continue making puns and jokes that only you and your friends would get...
    "Oh my god, that was pure banter, I can't stop laughing"

I'm going to stop now, before this post gets too banterlicious
    someone has been watching breaking bad lmao

ReputationRep:
    While reading your story I imagine a rough british dude from Liverpool that looks like Jason Statham with Adidas tracksuit lol...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by longshot100)
    doesn't help that I actually saw a Gus look-alike recently:bong:
    loved that show

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 29, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    How are your GCSEs going so far?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.