Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

A123 - Crisis Committee Amendment Watch

Announcements
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    A123 - Crisis Committee Amendment
    Proposed: Nigel Farage MEP (UKIP)
    Seconded: Saracen's Fez (Labour), Snufkin (Liberal), Unown Uzer (UKIP) James Milibanter (Labour), Jammy Duel (Conservative and Unionist)

Amendment to the Constitution

Section 13 Crisis Committee will be removed from the Constitution

Amendment to the Guidance Document

Section 16 Crisis Committee will be removed from the Guidance Document.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Notes

The Crisis Committee has existed for a nearly a year but its operation has been hindered by problems. The latest Speaker has attempted to revive the Crisis Committee by returning to basics, however, the only reform has seen a government member elected as a chair for the Crisis Committee. The Crisis Committee is a failed experiment that few people faithfully support, if the Crisis Committee was fully supported, serious reform would have happened since its conception.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah... no
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Nigel Farage MEP

Your submission did not appear to have a title for the field (and later the wiki) so I added one provisionally, give me a shout if you'd like it changed.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Nope ...
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    After nearly a year it has achieved nothing of worth. Aye.
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    It deserves to be given every chance. Changes have started to be put in place. This is premature.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Aye, if people really supported the Crisis Committee it would not have taken nearly a year to start properly reforming; it is time to accept it has failed.

(Original post by PetrosAC)
    It deserves to be given every chance. Changes have started to be put in place. This is premature.
    I disagree, calling something a failed experiment after nearly one year, or two terms is not premature.

ReputationRep:
    We have a new speaker who is overseeing changes to the CC, lets give Ray a chance
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Not too fussed, abstain

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I thought I'd seconded this Nigel Farage MEP
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    So a year of failure to have reform forced upon it, with people not even caring that it did jack **** in that year, it's clearly such an important part of the MHoC, absolutely vital, and totally premature to have given it a year.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Nay.
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nigel Farage MEP)
    Aye, if people really supported the Crisis Committee it would not have taken nearly a year to start properly reforming; it is time to accept it has failed.

I disagree, calling something a failed experiment after nearly one year, or two terms is not premature.
    It's been active for about 8 months, and there was no Government for what, two months? That leaves it only at 6 months. Regardless, Ray should be allowed to implement his changes and we should try to improve it. Whilst there are still people willing to take part in it, it is not failed.
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    So a year of failure to have reform forced upon it, with people not even caring that it did jack **** in that year, it's clearly such an important part of the MHoC, absolutely vital, and totally premature to have given it a year.
    As above.

RayApparently does this need a simple majority or a 2/3's majority?

ReputationRep:
    I really didn't realise it had been a year, perhaps it is time to go.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    As above.

Majority, it's only GD

ReputationRep:
    I'm a bit apathetic and will accept the will of the House. For possibly the first time ever I will abstain.
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    Majority, it's only GD
    No it's not. It's also constitution. I needed a 2/3rds majority to get it passed. Just making sure its the same to remove it.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    It's been active for about 8 months, and there was no Government for what, two months? That leaves it only at 6 months. Regardless, Ray should be allowed to implement his changes and we should try to improve it. Whilst there are still people willing to take part in it, it is not failed.
    Yes, six months to actually publish, or are you seriously suggesting that if there is no government the CC should be able to sit on its arse doing nothing, then again that wouldn't be unique to there being no government. They had two months there to write good crises, instead we have had utter drivel written, and there is little hope of improvement given that has there been any meaningful change to the make up of the CC, or is it largely still the same members?
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    As above.

A 2/3 majority is required to amend the Constitution and so, following precedent, the entirety of the amendment will fail to pass should a 2/3 majority not be secured.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 3, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.