Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

A123 - Crisis Committee Amendment Watch

Announcements
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PetrosAC)
    No it's not. It's also constitution. I needed a 2/3rds majority to get it passed. Just making sure its the same to remove it.
    I guess then it will be protected by the people wanting to protect their ability to pretend they're doing something.

ReputationRep:
    Abstain. The crises which have been put out so far have been dull and half-hearted, and yet I feel if they were more detailed they'd risk prescribing events which were simply unrealistic.
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    Yes, six months to actually publish, or are you seriously suggesting that if there is no government the CC should be able to sit on its arse doing nothing, then again that wouldn't be unique to there being no government. They had two months there to write good crises, instead we have had utter drivel written, and there is little hope of improvement given that has there been any meaningful change to the make up of the CC, or is it largely still the same members?
    There have been changes, and it should at least be given till the end of the term to see if having a Chair person helps at all, and to also see what Ray can do. You have my word that if the CC doesn't come up with anything competent by the end of the term, I will happily second an amendment to remove it.

6 months is obviously a long time, but saying it's almost a year is utter tripe.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Majority, it's only GD
    Whilst I hate to tell you what items you yourself have seconded actually say...

• Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RayApparently)
    A 2/3 majority is required to amend the Constitution and so, following precedent, the entirety of the amendment will fail to pass should a 2/3 majority not be secured.
    Thank you for the clarification
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    I've got to say, although an initial supporter of the CC, and a seconder on that amendment, it has been a dismal failure, a great experiment, but it's time to end. Aye.

ReputationRep:
    Just FWIW the 2/3 majority may not be the case by the time it comes to vote depending on when it is chosen to be put to vote.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Whilst I hate to tell you what items you yourself have seconded actually say...

I never even saw the text
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    I should clarify - not so much a 2/3 majority but rather twice as many MPs voting Aye as voting No is required for this to pass. Hopefully that removes any ambiguity.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Abstain.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    There have been changes, and it should at least be given till the end of the term to see if having a Chair person helps at all, and to also see what Ray can do. You have my word that if the CC doesn't come up with anything competent by the end of the term, I will happily second an amendment to remove it.

6 months is obviously a long time, but saying it's almost a year is utter tripe.
    By your own admission it's been 8, so how exactly did we get 6 months? And how exactly does having a Chair help? Or are you suggesting that maybe the Chair will block the absolute bull that is being made, so instead of being given crap crises we get none? Either way, it remains an absolute failure.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    I never even saw the text
    Haha - a true case of it being the thought that counts. :laugh:
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Haha - a true case of it being the thought that counts. :laugh:
    I was approached about it being removed, I want rid of it, a waste of space.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    I was approached about it being removed, I want rid of it, a waste of space.
    I figured that was probably what had happened. Tbh I'd forgotten we'd enshrined the CC in the Constitution.
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    By your own admission it's been 8, so how exactly did we get 6 months? And how exactly does having a Chair help? Or are you suggesting that maybe the Chair will block the absolute bull that is being made, so instead of being given crap crises we get none? Either way, it remains an absolute failure.
    Things like the EU referendum and two general elections have to also be taken into account. I agree that the CC should have produced more and things of better quality now, but it's still finding its feet and it should be given every chance. I don't see how it not working makes any difference to MHoC, but if it does work and then actually start producing good, realistic scenarios, it'll make MHoC more interesting.

Keeping it is a Win-Win scenario, so I urge all MPs to Vote Nay to this amendment.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Things like the EU referendum and two general elections have to also be taken into account. I agree that the CC should have produced more and things of better quality now, but it's still finding its feet and it should be given every chance. I don't see how it not working makes any difference to MHoC, but if it does work and then actually start producing good, realistic scenarios, it'll make MHoC more interesting.

Keeping it is a Win-Win scenario, so I urge all MPs to Vote Nay to this amendment.
    Has it existed for 8 months or has it existed for 6? Simple question. And you say it's finding its feet, does this mean that you would support a failing Quango IRL even when it has been failing for the best part of a decade, and if they say "oh, but we're changing" you would give them another 5 years?
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    I go through all the trouble of organising a Chair election to palm off responsibility and I still see my name popping up in this debate.

#BelieveintheBeard
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    I go through all the trouble of organising a Chair election to palm off responsibility and I still see my name popping up in this debate.

#BelieveintheBeard
    You should be neutral
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Has it existed for 8 months or has it existed for 6? Simple question. And you say it's finding its feet, does this mean that you would support a failing Quango IRL even when it has been failing for the best part of a decade, and if they say "oh, but we're changing" you would give them another 5 years?
    I wouldn't give them another 5 years. I'm not asking for another term. I'm asking to wait until the end of this term where Ray can put in any reforms he wants to in place, and the CC can actually have another go at submitting a Crisis, with an accountable Chair person to question.

Furthermore, it's not like we're paying for the CC. I'll again repeat, it's a no lose situation as MHoC either stays the exact same or it becomes more interesting and surprising.

ReputationRep:
    Nuh...

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 3, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.