Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

B928 - Digital Rights Bill 2016 Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Thumps up for me personal data should always be protected and secured government shouldn't be able to access those unless it was needed.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Aye!!!
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    I see no reason to oppose this

Aye !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PetrosAC)
    I've given the member above the credit as Primary Author. He is also a member of the TSR Liberals, though he mostly ghosts around
    Can confirm, I lurk, but I lurk with interest.

And what a great bill!
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bnzss)
    Can confirm, I lurk, but I lurk with interest.

And what a great bill!
    I know you from the other place ( reddit )
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hazzer1998)
    I know you from the other place ( reddit )
    Are you in the Tories over there?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Are you in the Tories over there?
    Tried to join but i was rejected because i was rather new .. might try again Or another party
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hazzer1998)
    Tried to join but i was rejected because i was rather new .. might try again Or another party
    If you want, I'll vouch for you. If you tell them you're from the TSR MHoC and I comment saying I know you from TSR, they should let you in
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    If you want, I'll vouch for you. If you tell them you're from the TSR MHoC and I comment saying I know you from TSR, they should let you in
    I will PM you now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Financier)
    An Aye in principle, though I am disappointed in the plagiarism that is being conducted once again by members of this government. A simple look on the other side will show that this bill's content was written by someone else a month ago. Nevertheless, I am happy to support what this bill aims to achieve.
    I've given the member above the credit as Primary Author. He is also a member of the TSR Liberals, though he mostly ghosts around
    Right, so the Government is using grunts from another MHoC who have more imagination than themselves to appear productive while in fact they're doing nothing. I don't care if you credit someone or not because it's not your work and you're simply recycling content; moreover, I don't see any such information here in this thread, which makes it a case of blatant plagiarism by the Liberals, and you didn't even bother to write the notes so that it fits our standards, yet you claim it's a Government bill. I can do the same with real UK Public Acts, other countries' Acts, etc.

RayApparently Mr. Speaker, are you happy to allow plagiarism or properly attributed yet recycled unoriginal proposals?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Life_peer)
    Right, so the Government is using grunts from another MHoC who have more imagination than themselves to appear productive while in fact they're doing nothing. I don't care if you credit someone or not because it's not your work and you're simply recycling content; moreover, I don't see any such information here in this thread, which makes it a case of blatant plagiarism by the Liberals, and you didn't even bother to write the notes so that it fits our standards, yet you claim it's a Government bill. I can do the same with real UK Public Acts, other countries' Acts, etc.

RayApparently Mr. Speaker, are you happy to allow plagiarism or properly attributed yet recycled unoriginal proposals?
    Hear, hear!
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:

1) The member that wrote most of it is also a member of the TSR Liberals
    2) Have you seen a few of the UKIP bills this term and where they came from? At least I'm honest about it
    3) Changes have been made to it
    4) I'll be adding notes to it. I completely forgot to add them, though to be fair, it is clear what this bill does.

The whole point of MHoC is to stimulate debate. This bill stimulates debate. I do not see what the issue is here.

ReputationRep:

I must say that plagiarism is copying another's work and claiming it as one's own. That is clearly not true, as the Liberal leader has stated whence this bill has its origins.

But let's not go so far as to claim that in order to have merit a bill must be original, or without influence in any way. As the primary author of this bill - and it has encountered some changes from my final version - I should perhaps say a few words.

Firstly, I have worked extensively with the Liberal leader in the recent past, and he consulted my advice on this bill among other things, which I was only too willing to give. That's the reason I'm here. Essentially, good leadership is part of what generated this bill, and it seems undignified to characterise it as plagiarism.

Secondly, writing a digital bill of rights is extremely difficult and requires the opinion of a good crowd. The Liberal leader is one of those people, and, in fact, in writing the first draft of this bill I took cues from this very House!

Accusations of plagiarism are simply incorrect, and the implication that this government lacks leadership is totally without merit. Unless, of course, the honourable gentleman supposes that receiving advice from those with expertise is something to be criticised.
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bnzss)
    I must say that plagiarism is copying another's work and claiming it as one's own. That is clearly not true, as the Liberal leader has stated whence this bill has its origins.
    Actually no claim needs to be made at all. By submitting this bill the government tacitly claims it as their work and, as it wasn't made clear that it drew heavily on work from elsewhere at the point of submission, I can understand people feeling that this could have been handled better. This said, I personally take no issue with this at all (everything is a remix, after all) and think that debating the substance of the legislation is surely more interesting than worrying about this kind of thing. I do think that if a person has taken more than the germinal idea for a bill from somewhere else it is probably worth crediting it as such in the notes.

But let's not go so far as to claim that in order to have merit a bill must be original, or without influence in any way.
    Agreed, though I don't think anybody here was suggesting the latter as that would be impossible.

Firstly, I have worked extensively with the Liberal leader in the recent past, and he consulted my advice on this bill among other things, which I was only too willing to give. That's the reason I'm here. Essentially, good leadership is part of what generated this bill, and it seems undignified to characterise it as plagiarism.
    Hopefully you plan to stick around I had a poke around your place and found it very similar to here. Lots of excellent ideas propelled by youthful energy, but unfortunately a lack of thorough engagement from people who propose legislation and a tendency to willfully misrepresent the salient points of an argument. I'm sure, like me, you are used to all that though :lol:

Secondly, writing a digital bill of rights is extremely difficult and requires the opinion of a good crowd. The Liberal leader is one of those people, and, in fact, in writing the first draft of this bill I took cues from this very House!

Accusations of plagiarism are simply incorrect, and the implication that this government lacks leadership is totally without merit. Unless, of course, the honourable gentleman supposes that receiving advice from those with expertise is something to be criticised.
    I like that you've risen to Petros' defence but I'm not sure he really needed it. I don't think many people would think poorly of him on the basis of this discussion, and nobody credits any Labour member with the ability to create decent legislation anyway so this changes nothing

ReputationRep:
    Well this is very interesting all of a sudden!
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    When a bill has been overly... inspired shall we say... from another source, the decent thing to do is give credit in the notes section. Oh, and include a notes section.

I shouldn't have to tell people on a student website the importance of intellectual honesty. I also don't plan on having to put bills through turnitin.

And the 'other place'... bleurghh
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RayApparently)
    When a bill has been overly... inspired shall we say... from another source, the decent thing to do is give credit in the notes section. Oh, and include a notes section.

I shouldn't have to tell people on a student website the importance of intellectual honesty. I also don't plan on having to put bills through turnitin.

And the 'other place'... bleurghh
    I've given credit in the thread as I completely forgot to add a Notes section, which will be added before division
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    I've given credit in the thread as I completely forgot to add a Notes section, which will be added before division
    A man of many excuses
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    How do you forget about a notes section, it's not like people regularly complain about it or anything, it's not like we've been doing it for ages or anything.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    How do you forget about a notes section, it's not like people regularly complain about it or anything, it's not like we've been doing it for ages or anything.
    It happens, when it comes to the priorities of the bill, the notes section is at the bottom and therefore is easily overlooked.

Seeing as the primary author is a member of the TSR Liberals, would you require the primary Author of every bill to be in the note section RayApparently

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 3, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.