• View Poll Results: What should I do?
    Complete DipHE accept unconditional offer
    100.00%
    Complete current degree
    0%
    Leave course now
    0%

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone been in a similar situation.......?
    I am a second year student studying BAHons Adventure Tourism Management (random i know) basically I am not enjoying the degree course at all, and only here because I enjoy the town, scenery and my job in the Leisure Centre. If you are wondering why I didn't leave in first year I thought i would give it a chance.. (stupid?)

So I applied through UCAS and I received an unconditional offer from the University of Stirling for Sport Business Management starting September (a much more prestigious University and more suitable course than my current). I am awaiting a decision on entry to second year.. which I can only be hopeful for.
    Student finance is an issue as i am only allowed (5 years - years of study) which will be 3 years. If i get accepted into the three-year degree this would no longer be an issue.
    I have visited Stirling multiple times and absolutely adore it and the campus.
    Should I stay and finish the Diploma of Higher Education, stick with the current course, or transfer to the University of Stirling??
    Thank you, any advice would be helpful!
    • Community Assistant
    • Very Important Poster
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    You aren't only allowed 5 years, you are entitled to a loan which covers the full length of your degree (be it 3 years or 6) plus one additional 'gift year'. The calculation they use is: length of degree (minus) years of previous university study (plus) 1 year = loan entitlement.

If you can transfer into the second year you have no worries, if you can't then you may have to fund the first year of your new degree yourself. Phone student finance and ask them if you drop out now will they consider you to have used up 2 years of loan entitlement or 1? If the answer is 2 and you can't transfer into the second year, you might as well complete the year and get the DipHE. If you can transfer then do it.

ReputationRep:
    The info and SF calculation given by Snufkin, is correct. Your poll is based on an incorrect assumption about how much more SF entitlement you have left.

I'm afraid that even if you leave your course now, SF will count this as a complete year for the purposes of that calculation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Snufkin)
    You aren't only allowed 5 years, you are entitled to a loan which covers the full length of your degree (be it 3 hears or 6) plus one additional 'gift year'. The calculation they use is: length of degree (minus) years of previous university study (plus) 1 year = loan entitlement.

If you can transfer into the second year you have no worries, if you can't then you may have to fund the first year of your new degree yourself. Phone student finance and ask them if you drop out now will they consider you to have used up 2 years of loan entitlement or 1? If the answer is 2 and you can't transfer into the second year, you might as well complete the year and get the DipHE. If you can transfer then do it.
    Thanks for your response I understand that..sorry i did not explain correctly, 4 years of degree + one gift year = 5 years - 2 years of current study = 3 years entitlement. I have rang student finance NI about this.
    So you think my best bet is to complete the dipHE then start the new course in September? Thanks for advice

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Klix88)
    The info and SF calculation given by Snufkin, is correct. Your poll is based on an incorrect assumption about how much more SF entitlement you have left.

I'm afraid that even if you leave your course now, SF will count this as a complete year for the purposes of that calculation.
    I have rang student finance and know I am only entitled to 3 years of funding. As the course is (4 years +1) - 2 years of current study, sorry I did not make this more clear.
    As my unconditional is for first year I thought leaving now may be an option to save money.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bluescorpio95)
    Thanks for your response I understand that..sorry i did not explain correctly, 4 years of degree + one gift year = 5 years - 2 years of current study = 3 years entitlement. I have rang student finance NI about this.
    So you think my best bet is to complete the dipHE then start the new course in September? Thanks for advice
    If you'll be transferring into the second year of a four year degree as you describe, then your considerations are:
    - financial (you'll owe all of the year's tuition fee by now, but will save yourself the third Maintenance Loan instalment)
    - practical (does your tenancy agreement tie you in until the end of the academic year and if so, can you afford the rent without your third Maintenance Loan instalment)
    - personal satisfaction (your current course has cost you several thousand pounds which you'll be repaying for years, so would you take the DipHE so that you have at least something to show for it?).

ReputationRep:
    If you'll be transferring into the second year of a four year degree as you describe, then your considerations are:
    - financial (you'll owe all of the year's tuition fee by now, but will save yourself the third Maintenance Loan instalment)
    - practical (does your tenancy agreement tie you in until the end of the academic year and if so, can you afford the rent without your third Maintenance Loan instalment)
    - personal satisfaction (your current course has cost you several thousand pounds which you'll be repaying for years, so would you take the DipHE so that you have at least something to show for it?).
    My maintenance loan comes through in 3 instalments each acedemic year, are you saying I would no longer be entitled to the last instalmemt if i did complete the DipHE?
    Also the unconditional offer was to go into first year, I am still awaiting response for second year. So I think i will stay to complete dipHE.
    Student finance told me I could possibly use my maintenance loan for some of the tuition fee if I was to go into 1st year again?
    Thanks for advice

ReputationRep:
    My maintenance loan comes through in 3 instalments each acedemic year, are you saying I would no longer be entitled to the last instalmemt if i did complete the DipHE?
    If you complete your current year then you will get the third Maintenance Loan instalment. You would only forfeit it, if you left before the end of the academic year

Also the unconditional offer was to go into first year, I am still awaiting response for second year. So I think i will stay to complete dipHE.
    In that case, the calculation doesn't give you full funding for all years of your new course.

The calculation is:
    Number of years of your new course (4) minus Number of years of previous uni study (2) plus One grace year (1) = 3 years of full funding entitlement

You'd have to fund the first year of your new 4 year course, yourself. 4-2+1=3. That includes paying your own tuition fees. Your remaining years of entitlement would only kick in after the first year.

Student finance told me I could possibly use my maintenance loan for some of the tuition fee if I was to go into 1st year again?
    Everyone gets a very small Maintenance Loan, even if they don't get full SF funding for a year. This is probably what was meant. It certainly won't cover a full year's tuition fee and leaves you looking for the balance, plus money to pay rent/bills.

I've unfortunately thought of another wrinkle for your situation - the ELQ (Equivalent or Lower Qualification) rule. This states that you cannot get SF for a qualification which is the same level or lower than one you already have (unless it's an exemption like NHS-funded courses). If you accept a DipHE from your current course, that's the equivalent of two years at uni. Your full SF entitlement then won't kick in until your third year, which I suspect leaves you properly adrift. If SF NI didn't know that you're planning to accept a DipHE when you spoke to them, you'll need to check back with them as it will affect their advice.

ReputationRep:
    4 years of degree + one gift year = 5 years - 2 years of current study = 3 years entitlement.
    Just to be absolutely clear, this calculation means that you would only have three years of funding for a four year course. The unfunded year would be the first year of your new course.

I was in this situation myself, having previously done two years at uni and then started a new degree course from scratch. I'm absolutely certain that you will not get full SF funding for all years of a new degree.

ReputationRep:
    Just to be absolutely clear, this calculation means that you would only have three years of funding for a four year course. The unfunded year would be the first year of your new course.

I was in this situation myself, having previously done two years at uni and then started a new degree course from scratch. I'm absolutely certain that you will not get full SF funding for all years of a new degree.
    This has really helped an awful lot. I do not like the sound of this wrinkle you've thought of I will ring SFNI again and check. Did you complete your DipHE before starting the new course from scratch Klix88? I have been working and saving money on top of loans and grants this year incase of the situation arising where I go back to square one (1st year)

ReputationRep:
    This has really helped an awful lot. I do not like the sound of this wrinkle you've thought of I will ring SFNI again and check. Did you complete your DipHE before starting the new course from scratch Klix88? I have been working and saving money on top of loans and grants this year incase of the situation arising where I go back to square one (1st year)
    No, I effectively failed my second year so I wasn't offered a DipHE. The ELQ rule didn't apply to my situation.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.