Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Year 10 student seeking advice on Extracurricular Activitie for American Universities Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey there. I am currently in year 10 and since a young age I have wanted to study and live in America. However, I have realized that you need amazing extracurricular activities to have even a remote chance of getting into a prestigious university. Since I am not rich at all, I will definitely require financial aid and there are only 5 universities which offer international financial aid on a need-blind basis (Harvard, Yale, Princeton, M.I.T and Amherst). These are all extremely hard to get into. Therefore, I would like some advice on what extracurricular activities to do to have a good chance of getting into these universities.

I go to a state school with quite rubbish extracurricular activities (only football,rugby, art club etc.), which I don't particularly enjoy. So my only options are either starting a club (maybe Model UN or Finance society etc.) or doing a scheme like DofE. I am already doing the DofE bronze and will probably do it all the way up to gold. Also, I will start volunteering and hopefully get 300+ hours by the time I apply to the unis. Do you have any suggestions on what clubs would be good to start/join and any other things I should do to increase my chance of getting into an american university? Thanks.

P.S. I enjoy Maths, Economics, Politics and debating etc.
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by swaganomics101)
    Hey there. I am currently in year 10 and since a young age I have wanted to study and live in America. However, I have realized that you need amazing extracurricular activities to have even a remote chance of getting into a prestigious university. Since I am not rich at all, I will definitely require financial aid and there are only 5 universities which offer international financial aid on a need-blind basis (Harvard, Yale, Princeton, M.I.T and Amherst). These are all extremely hard to get into. Therefore, I would like some advice on what extracurricular activities to do to have a good chance of getting into these universities.

I go to a state school with quite rubbish extracurricular activities (only football,rugby, art club etc.), which I don't particularly enjoy. So my only options are either starting a club (maybe Model UN or Finance society etc.) or doing a scheme like DofE. I am already doing the DofE bronze and will probably do it all the way up to gold. Also, I will start volunteering and hopefully get 300+ hours by the time I apply to the unis. Do you have any suggestions on what clubs would be good to start/join and any other things I should do to increase my chance of getting into an american university? Thanks.

P.S. I enjoy Maths, Economics, Politics and debating etc.
    Hi there!

Glad to hear you're interested in studying in the US! It's an incredible place to live, to travel and to study. I've had some experience of studying and applying to US universities, so I can give you some ideas or advice.

First off, for applying to any of the universities you've mentioned, let alone for getting a scholarship, you will need virtually perfect grades. There are of course exceptions to this, but to have as good of a chance as possible, getting all A's is the best start. I've had friends who studied at Harvard and Amherst and they were exceptional students. Make your grades your number one priority.

Volunteering is definitely a great idea. The US are very proactive in any sort of extra-curricular activity, and volunteering is one many places regard highly. For the clubs, it can really depend on the course you're applying to or the scholarship requirements. For any of this, there's no set guidelines, which can be both good and bad. Starting up your own club can be very impressive, it shows your initiative and enthusiasm, and it will also require you to lead a club from the ground up and work with others - all useful attributes. Model UN is especially popular in the US, the university I studied at in California, and many many others, all had their own Model UN clubs.

Even taking the opportunity of joining a sports/art/music club can be very beneficial. Having a broad range of interests can be useful as you'll be used to many different environments and will have experience in different areas. Most academic clubs will also help, e.g. anything maths/science related, anything which involves creating a project, debating, etc.

Again, I'll stress that this is just advice - many university positions and especially financial aid spots can be highly competitive and can revolve around you standing out amongst the crowd. You still have plenty of time, talk to many different people to get their perspectives and the main thing is to enjoy yourself in school!

Hope this helps, let us know if you have any other questions!

Scott
    Undergraduate Rep
    School of Engineering

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 29, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.