Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I feel incredibly silly writing this and I apologize in advance.

I've applied to study Mental Health nursing, and I've been rejected from both Manchester and Derby. This based on my science grade D, I thought that my BTEC would make it so that does not matter; evidently not. I'm fairly sure all the uni I have applied to have the same requirements. As I'm sure you can imagine it hurt a lot.

I'm considering calling up and explaining that when I was sitting my exams and studying my GCSE's I was suffering from an eating disorder which I was hospitalized for two months before the exam period began. I can get all the medical notes to support this information. Do you think this would make a difference?

I'm not trying to get a 'cop out' but it is very upsetting... Sorry if I sound silly!

ReputationRep:
    Don't know but you can use clearing, you are likely to get accepted then even for getting lower grades

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KanarieBlack)

I've applied to study Mental Health nursing, and I've been rejected from both Manchester and Derby. This based on my science grade D, I thought that my BTEC would make it so that does not matter; evidently not. I'm fairly sure all the uni I have applied to have the same requirements. As I'm sure you can imagine it hurt a lot.

I'm considering calling up and explaining that when I was sitting my exams and studying my GCSE's I was suffering from an eating disorder which I was hospitalized for two months before the exam period began. I can get all the medical notes to support this information. Do you think this would make a difference?

I'm not trying to get a 'cop out' but it is very upsetting... Sorry if I sound silly!
    It depends on what their extenuating circumstances policies are but as nursing has so many applicants to places I wouldn't be hopeful that it will make a difference, I m sorry.

ReputationRep:

Unfortunately, due to the high number of applicants, most universities won't offer you a place because from 2013 most universities require you to have 5 GCSEs at A*- C or at the very least have a C in Science and Maths. Some universities aren't accepting Level 2 qualifications from Access students.

ReputationRep:

I'm afraid it is far too late now to claim extenuating circumstances for something two years ago. I suggest a resit and reapplying.

ReputationRep:
    I have applied for Mental Health Nursing at Derby and have an interview, I am currently doing the access course, I have no science GCSE but we are doing biology and anatomy and physiology on the access course. If that's a general entry requirement for all university's you may have to do an access course. Don't be disheartened, it's really tough this year with extra applicants making it harder since they announced the bursary is ending. Good luck

ReputationRep:

If you do not get a place at any of your uni's then you will be offered an extra option.. You can apply to another uni. make sure you call and speak to any other uni's you would consider to make sure your grade is fine so it won't be a wasted choice. You will get the chance to apply to another uni with deferent requirements if you don't get a place so try not to panic too much (if you can) 🙂

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.