Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Rhodes must fall campaign backfires. Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fullofsurprises)
    Well, Mandela Scolarship has a nice ring to it - the Rhodes could be replaced by that, far more relevant to the contemporary era.
    He wasn't much better than Rhodes in his actions.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JezWeCan!)
    The Provost of Oriel, some time serving pen pusher called Moira Wallace really screwed up. I wouldn't be surprised if she gets deposed, down the line. It's not "Rhodes must fall" but "Wallace must fall!"

Contrast that with the Master of University College, Ivor Crewe. The JCR in an idiotic move in sympathy with the Oriel loons, voted to rename a Technology Centre gifted by former Rhodes Scholars (one of whom was Bill Clinton incidentally) and named after them, and therefore indirectly Rhodes himself. .

The Master (under a lot of pressure from Old Members who are very generous to the college) told them to shove their vote where the sun doesn't shine.
    Not quite how it happened...

Technology Centre? Lol. It's a computer room.

ReputationRep:

In fact, the more I hear from the vested interests, the celebrators of colonialist racism hiding in the woodwork of 'we've always done it this way' and the reactionary Oxford Mullahs who yell 'nothing can change' every time any change is ever suggested, the more I want to side with the black activists who want this change.

I'm starting to hate that damn statue.
    Ha ha ha!

I love that phrase, "reactionary Oxford Mullah." Next time I am looking for a username I may steal it.

It IS strange how a statue can arouse such strong emotions, on both sides of the argument, you know. You "hate" it, my heart leapt when I heard it had been saved. I was made up.

You could argue that both reactions are way OTT. But the fact that a STATUE of a man who died over a century ago can arouse such depth of feeling says something about this country in 2016, that is for sure.

ReputationRep:
    Well, Mandela Scolarship has a nice ring to it - the Rhodes could be replaced by that, far more relevant to the contemporary era.
    You are way behind the curve.

http://mandelarhodes.org/the-foundation/milestones/

Interestingly, Nelson Mandela agreed that Cecil Rhodes' name be included.

ReputationRep:
    Ha ha ha!

I love that phrase, "reactionary Oxford Mullah." Next time I am looking for a username I may steal it.
    You may use it on payment of a small but noticeable fee to the 'Give the Rhodes Statue a Natural Burial Place' campaign.

It IS strange how a statue can arouse such strong emotions, on both sides of the argument, you know. You "hate" it, my heart leapt when I heard it had been saved. I was made up.

You could argue that both reactions are way OTT. But the fact that a STATUE of a man who died over a century ago can arouse such depth of feeling says something about this country in 2016, that is for sure.
    Yes, it says that there are now a sizeable number of people who notice the continuation of racist and colonialist attitudes in this country and other parts of the Commonwealth for what they are and that we are no longer happy living in the 1950s with the duffers from UKIP, or pretending that everything about the Empire was sunny and lovely and charming, like the New Fascists in the Tory Party.

ReputationRep:

Yes, it says that there are now a sizeable number of people who notice the continuation of racist and colonialist attitudes in this country and other parts of the Commonwealth for what they are and that we are no longer happy living in the 1950s with the duffers from UKIP, or pretending that everything about the Empire was sunny and lovely and charming, like the New Fascists in the Tory Party.
    Anyone who disagrees with you that " Rhodes must fall" is a racist, a colonialist, wants to live in the 1950's, is an apologist for the British Empire, a duffer and a new fascist??

Do you ever wonder why this campaign hasn't swept all before it? You are not exactly trying to win hearts and minds are you?

Talk about ceding the moral high ground to your enemies.

ReputationRep:
    You are way behind the curve.

http://mandelarhodes.org/the-foundation/milestones/

Interestingly, Nelson Mandela agreed that Cecil Rhodes' name be included.
    What is more Qwabe had one of these before he had a Rhodes Scholarship.

ReputationRep:
    Oh come on, you surely can't think the Provost has handled this well?

We all know that Oxbridge colleges are very conservative (with a small c) places. And every Old Member knows they spend every waking moment trying to squeeze money out of you, whilst current undergraduates have to do the ringing around drumming it up, so they should know all too well too.

Old Members have to be listened to, it is how the system works. Their financial endowments are the lifeblood of the college.

Temporizing was always only going to antagonise both sides and make everything worse.

Compare Ivor Crewe, who acted decisively and with speed. I am an Old Member of Univ and some of us organised a campaign to put pressure on him over the renaming of the Rhodes Room in College. It didn't take long: we were tipped the wink it was never going to happen right after the first email was sent.
    However, I suspect that when all the fuss has died down, a neat and inconspicuous plaque will go up with no fanfare whatsoever at Univ either inside or outside the room explaining that the Rhodes Computer Room was the gift of old Univ Rhodes Scholars in commemoration of the 60th anniversary of the establishment of Rhodes Scholarships.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BaconandSauce)
    How about those who don't want the scholarship don't apply for it but rather create their own and fund it themselves?
    What a ludicrous proposition!

:eek4:

ReputationRep:
    When White people are a minority in Europe

It will be all, 'what about those terror attacks, the home invasions and the tire burnings? :cry:'

I'm not even a White Nationalist btw, but it's retarded to demand people ignore Mandela's history whilst scrutinising Rhodes' under a 21st century Western lens.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 3, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    How are your GCSEs going so far?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.