rellamy
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
So I'm really interested in geography now because my friend's doing it, but for my igcses I didn't choose geography (all the teachers I ever had in it were so boring and that caused me to lose interest, as well as the geography block always smelling horrible) --- I know this is a really bad time to ask, because my IGCSE's start just as May does.

For now, I have a few questions, and answers for just one would be amazing:

1) can I start a course (outside of school) in sixth form or would it have to be now, in year 11?
2) how much would it cost and would I have to use the textbooks?
3) if I did need textbooks, is it standard that schools let you borrow theirs?
4) how would I take the exam if I did do the course? like where would I go?
5) how long would the course take? 2 years??
6) which exam board is the best - aqa, ocr, or edexcel - and should I do IGCSE (like my others) or just GCSE?

Thanks so much!
Compost
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by rellamy)
1) can I start a course (outside of school) in sixth form or would it have to be now, in year 11?
2) how much would it cost and would I have to use the textbooks?
3) if I did need textbooks, is it standard that schools let you borrow theirs?
4) how would I take the exam if I did do the course? like where would I go?
5) how long would the course take? 2 years??
6) which exam board is the best - aqa, ocr, or edexcel - and should I do IGCSE (like my others) or just GCSE?!
  1. Anytime
  2. Depends on whether you signed up to a distance learning course or just teach yourself.
  3. Barely anyone actually bothers to do this so there is no 'standard'.
  4. You have to find an exam centre (=any secondary school or college) willing to accept you, your own school is the obvious choice.
  5. AS long as you want, but the exams are only available in the Summer and maybe also (depending which exam board you pick) the Autumn/Winter.
  6. Take IGCSE as then you don't have to do controlled assessment.
However, I'd recommend you don't bother. You can read about Geography if you like but concentrate on your A levels for exams.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (126)
28.38%
No - I have already returned home (58)
13.06%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (87)
19.59%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (41)
9.23%
No - I live at home during term anyway (132)
29.73%

Watched Threads