Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Leaving a job to go to a competitor advice Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Evening everyone,

Always been a bit of a surfer on these forums but i finally need some advice and who better to ask.

I'm not going to go into too much detail regarding it as there tends to be eyes and ears everywhere and i dont want to give too much away.

I am currently working at a sales company and i have been there 3 years. I have done extremely well but the team we have is very poor and it affects the service i offer my customers and ultimately what my customers think of me which is extremely enfuriating. They are a market leader and have huge buying power and management are extremely efficient at sorting issues and dealing with competition.

One of my old bosses who was bought out from the board sunk his riches into a smaller company offering the EXACT same products as my current company to the EXACT same clients. He approached me and offered me a staggering 10k a year more than i was currently earning to join him. His company has 30 staff and extreme chances for potential and my current company has 300 and im probably 7/8 on the list for promotion if anything was to come around.

Since i originally spoke to the new company, my current workplace have offered me an 8k payrise, putting me just 2k behind the new offer. However the new offer doesnt include various benefits which i currently get which would essentialy make the offers equal.

I am unsure whether i am coming or going, i believe there is greater opportunity in the new role, however the job will include starting on a complete blank slate with the designated area i will be covering having £0 in sales. Although i can transfer relationships, the work will be extremely difficult getting the name out there whereas ive already done this at my current place and got it to around £20,000 (profit) per month up from around 10k when i started so ive never been on a completely blank slate.

it will be a challenge, but im unsure on what to do.

If i decide to leave, would you advise i tell my employer and leave on good terms? This is my hardest decision. I would love to leave without burning bridges however the nature of the new company would mean i get marched out on the spot when i tell them where im going.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrMonsterr)
    Evening everyone,

Always been a bit of a surfer on these forums but i finally need some advice and who better to ask.

I'm not going to go into too much detail regarding it as there tends to be eyes and ears everywhere and i dont want to give too much away.

I am currently working at a sales company and i have been there 3 years. I have done extremely well but the team we have is very poor and it affects the service i offer my customers and ultimately what my customers think of me which is extremely enfuriating. They are a market leader and have huge buying power and management are extremely efficient at sorting issues and dealing with competition.

One of my old bosses who was bought out from the board sunk his riches into a smaller company offering the EXACT same products as my current company to the EXACT same clients. He approached me and offered me a staggering 10k a year more than i was currently earning to join him. His company has 30 staff and extreme chances for potential and my current company has 300 and im probably 7/8 on the list for promotion if anything was to come around.

Since i originally spoke to the new company, my current workplace have offered me an 8k payrise, putting me just 2k behind the new offer. However the new offer doesnt include various benefits which i currently get which would essentialy make the offers equal.

I am unsure whether i am coming or going, i believe there is greater opportunity in the new role, however the job will include starting on a complete blank slate with the designated area i will be covering having £0 in sales. Although i can transfer relationships, the work will be extremely difficult getting the name out there whereas ive already done this at my current place and got it to around £20,000 (profit) per month up from around 10k when i started so ive never been on a completely blank slate.

it will be a challenge, but im unsure on what to do.

If i decide to leave, would you advise i tell my employer and leave on good terms? This is my hardest decision. I would love to leave without burning bridges however the nature of the new company would mean i get marched out on the spot when i tell them where im going.
    A few points and I hope they help (I was in a similar position two years ago:

a) Never burn bridges. I know this may seem difficult at times, but always try and leave on good terms. The principle reason for this is that the world is very small, especially in sales and marketing. You want to try and make sure that the wrong information about you isn't gossiped around. Do you need to tell them where you're going? Can't you just say you're leaving?;
    b) When I left my old job, I was happy to take on the risk as I was neither married and nor in a lot of debt. With a family and children, a new job, especially in sales, might not be wise;

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
    Useful resources

Quick Link:

Unanswered Marketing,Sales ad PR Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.