Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

My parents don't accept the fact that I "changed" Watch

Announcements

Hey,

So I have always been an introverted guy. I went 5 years at uni. The first four years I didn't have many friends and I commuted daily so I couldn't go out and had no social life. The last year it changed though, I took a flat near my uni and I started to do things most people of my age do (going out, going to parties and clubs even though I don't really like clubs, etc). I didn't live with my parents anymore so I was independent for the first time, I was often out and wasn't at my flat as much as I thought I would be.

Anyway, end of uni in May 2015, moved back with my parents. I lost almost all of my uni friends cause I live far away. The following week I met a girl and she introduced me to her group of friends. We were going out sometimes, maybe once every other week. But since September it's much more often, I'm really close to those friends and I see them at least 3 times a week.

And my parents knew me as a quiet guy who would never go out, drink... So they were really surprised and started to ask me questions. I didn't want to answer them. Had no idea what to tell them and honestly I just thought it was none of their business. They kept telling me "what the hell do you do there anyway?". So I just decided to say everything, where I go, with who, what I do. Yeah I get drunk every now and then but that's it. I'm not doing anything wrong, if I drink I don't drive and sleep at the girl's place instead. Bad idea. It's even worse now. "You changed so much", "I miss the old you", every day.

I'm moving out in June cause I got a job but I'll still come back the weekends to see them and my friends and I'll still go out and they'll still say the same thing. Can anyone help me? I tried to be honest with them and it didn't work. It's true that I changed, I don't spend 16 hours a day in front of a screen anymore, I go out a lot now but I don't see how it's a bad thing... I mean when I was staying home all the time I heard things like "you are not living a normal life, you should go out with your friends". I had no friends, now that I have some it's wrong too. I'm 23 by the way, it's not like I'm 16...

Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    Just ignore your parents tbh. You can't win with them anyway

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Hey,

So I have always been an introverted guy. I went 5 years at uni. The first four years I didn't have many friends and I commuted daily so I couldn't go out and had no social life. The last year it changed though, I took a flat near my uni and I started to do things most people of my age do (going out, going to parties and clubs even though I don't really like clubs, etc). I didn't live with my parents anymore so I was independent for the first time, I was often out and wasn't at my flat as much as I thought I would be.

Anyway, end of uni in May 2015, moved back with my parents. I lost almost all of my uni friends cause I live far away. The following week I met a girl and she introduced me to her group of friends. We were going out sometimes, maybe once every other week. But since September it's much more often, I'm really close to those friends and I see them at least 3 times a week.

And my parents knew me as a quiet guy who would never go out, drink... So they were really surprised and started to ask me questions. I didn't want to answer them. Had no idea what to tell them and honestly I just thought it was none of their business. They kept telling me "what the hell do you do there anyway?". So I just decided to say everything, where I go, with who, what I do. Yeah I get drunk every now and then but that's it. I'm not doing anything wrong, if I drink I don't drive and sleep at the girl's place instead. Bad idea. It's even worse now. "You changed so much", "I miss the old you", every day.

I'm moving out in June cause I got a job but I'll still come back the weekends to see them and my friends and I'll still go out and they'll still say the same thing. Can anyone help me? I tried to be honest with them and it didn't work. It's true that I changed, I don't spend 16 hours a day in front of a screen anymore, I go out a lot now but I don't see how it's a bad thing... I mean when I was staying home all the time I heard things like "you are not living a normal life, you should go out with your friends". I had no friends, now that I have some it's wrong too. I'm 23 by the way, it's not like I'm 16...

Thank you.
    Mate why did you do five years of uni?

Either way I wish i hope to be like you. Right now i'm a ****ing loner having no friends. Ignore your parents or disown yourself tbh.

Thanks for the answers

(Original post by Uyi 95)
    Mate why did you do five years of uni?

Either way I wish i hope to be like you. Right now i'm a ****ing loner having no friends. Ignore your parents or disown yourself tbh.
    I don't live in the UK so I'm not sure it works the same way but basically I did 3 years for the licence's degree and 2 years for the master's degree.

I'm sorry to hear that. I hope you will find friends. I had no friends either before. You just need to find one friend, and if you're lucky you'll meet dozens of other people who will become your friends too.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 29, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    How are your GCSEs going so far?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.