Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Soldiers should pay no tax. Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Their tax is their service. Currently there are policies which which exclude soldiers from being obligated to pay income tax while serving in a combat zone. I think we should take this policy further. Any member of the armed forces who is serving should be exempt from paying tax while on active duty. Further, any veteran who has been involved in direct combat should be exempt from paying tax for life. Being shot at while defending your country or your country's interests is a much greater sacrifice than the average tax payer makes over the duration of a lifetime.

ReputationRep:
    And what benefit is this to the country? We already have more than enough people who want to go into the army, and we have cut numbers significantly.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    I siagree. Why should you be exempt from tax on the basis of what job you choose to do?

ReputationRep:
    I disagree. It's a job, tax needs to be paid. It's not fair for everyone else who works in a different job.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    The issue is the money they're paid already comes out of the tax taken from others. If it was made so that they didn't 'pay' tax, but that their salary was reduced by the amount tax would have taken off, then we come to a decent solution. That could apply to all public service workers, not just armed forces. Nurses, teachers, police, fire, civil servants, etc.

Though it would be a big change, costing a lot to implement, for not much benefit beyond some small symbolism.

Veterans paying no tax makes no sense either, plenty go on to highly lucrative post-forces careers and its only right that they pay tax as a form of payback for the state providing them with skills that are deemed valuable.

(Original post by paul514)
    And what benefit is this to the country? We already have more than enough people who want to go into the army, and we have cut numbers significantly.
    Well, we don't, actually. Quite a few areas are struggling to recruit.

ReputationRep:
    my boyfriend is a soldier and my dad is a veteran, as is my bfs dad and the army actually get paid very little. it works out to less then a fiver and hour

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drewski)
    , plenty go on to highly lucrative post-forces careers and its only right that they pay tax as a form of payback for the state providing them with skills that are deemed valuable
    my dad left with ptsd and is highly disabled so not always true or fair

ReputationRep:
    They chose the job. They weren't forced into it. Why should they be exempt from tax just because of their career choice?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shawtyb)
    my dad left with ptsd and is highly disabled so not always true or fair
    If they continue to work post their forces career - the overwhelming majority do - then they should pay tax.

Sorry about your dad.

ReputationRep:
    If they continue to work post their forces career - the overwhelming majority do - then they should pay tax.

Sorry about your dad.
    his getting better a little bit, recovering alcoholic, severe depression and disabled. its not been easy on him, and with the loss of his wife too

ReputationRep:
    I disagree, and so does my brother, who's in the army...

ReputationRep:
    The left are well known to hate the armed forces, they see them as the enemy
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    If you want to offer soldiers a better monetary reward for killing people then you should just increase salaries, not go through this enormous quagmire of red tape to remove income tax. At the end of the day, salary increase vs. tax reduction would have exactly the same effect, given that it's government money they're being paid with in the first place.

ReputationRep:
    Good point OP.

The service the army provides to this country is priceless and I feel so ashamed at the number of war veterans who are undersupported in this country. It is known that some are homeless and there's one who was posting on youtube a little while ago about how his jsa had been sanctioned. It is very disappointing to see how brave they are and when they come back with an extent of inevitable issues the country turns it's back on them. I agree that more should be done for them and thensome!
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beautifulbigmacs)
    Good point OP.

The service the army provides to this country is priceless and I feel so ashamed at the number of war veterans who are undersupported in this country. It is known that some are homeless and there's one who was posting on youtube a little while ago about how his jsa had been sanctioned. It is very disappointing to see how brave they are and when they come back with an extent of inevitable issues the country turns it's back on them. I agree that more should be done for them and thensome!
    But only so much can be done. They also have to be willing to help themselves too. They can't just come out the army and expect to have everything handed to them on a plate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dez)
    If you want to offer soldiers...
    (Original post by beautifulbigmacs)
    The service the army provides to this country
    (Original post by Tiger Rag)
    They can't just come out the army and expect to have everything handed to them on a plate.
    I know the OP started this little mistake, but can you all stop pretending that the Army is the only bit of the armed forces?

There are 90,000 people in the RAF, RN and RMs - that's more than are in the Army.

ReputationRep:
    The issue is the money they're paid already comes out of the tax taken from others. If it was made so that they didn't 'pay' tax, but that their salary was reduced by the amount tax would have taken off, then we come to a decent solution. That could apply to all public service workers, not just armed forces. Nurses, teachers, police, fire, civil servants, etc.

Though it would be a big change, costing a lot to implement, for not much benefit beyond some small symbolism.

Veterans paying no tax makes no sense either, plenty go on to highly lucrative post-forces careers and its only right that they pay tax as a form of payback for the state providing them with skills that are deemed valuable.

Well, we don't, actually. Quite a few areas are struggling to recruit.
    An army recruitment truck comes into Redhill, Surrey on a regular basis. I never see anyone walk in

As for RAF and Navy, we see the adverts on TV all the time which suggests to me they're certainly looking for candidates

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dez)
    If you want to offer soldiers a better monetary reward for killing people then you should just increase salaries, not go through this enormous quagmire of red tape to remove income tax. At the end of the day, salary increase vs. tax reduction would have exactly the same effect, given that it's government money they're being paid with in the first place.
    What an inflammatory response.

OP, imo soldiers shouldn't be given tax exemption. Not only would is be pain in the ass to implement, they choose to take the job. It isn't like they're being forced to put their lives on the line. I mean by that logic Builders should also be exempt from tax as they also risk their lives, more so actually, seeing as they have had more deaths then the military since 2001.

That said, I do agree that we need to start treating veterans better, especially those who've received injuries or mental health problems due to their service. Every veteran should have the opportunity to have help to make sure they have a home and a job to go into.

http://www.theguardian.com/business/...y-construction
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/j...rous-jobs.html

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KimKallstrom)
    An army recruitment truck comes into Redhill, Surrey on a regular basis. I never see anyone walk in

As for RAF and Navy, we see the adverts on TV all the time which suggests to me they're certainly looking for candidates
    The Army advertise more than the others combined.

There are enough candidates for some areas, but it's suitable candidates that they all lack. There are tens of thousands of applicants for Pilot, but not many for chef, for instance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tiger Rag)
    But only so much can be done. They also have to be willing to help themselves too. They can't just come out the army and expect to have everything handed to them on a plate.
    cheese and rice! People who need a bit of help from the state due to injury and or mental illness post army are not expecting everything to be handed to them on a plate. I hardly think they'd have joined the army in the first place if they were of such mindset.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.