Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Well i'm (grades permitting) off to Pembroke (yeah, yeah, no jokes .... it's poor, i get it ) and apparently we have to clear out every 8 weeks so what did you take? (aside from clothes and suchlike)

Desktop / Laptop / Both ?
    Hi Fi ? TV ? VCR ? DVD player ?
    Musical Instrument ? (this is probably impractical as i'm a drummer)
    Books ... lots / few ?

I mean overall what was it?

One cardboard box ?
    One Carboard Box and a Suitcase ?
    One Suitcase ?
    One small bag filled with leaves ?

so.....

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure there's a thread on this elsewhere already, but in answer to your specific questions:

Desktop, with flatscreen. If you haven't got a flatscreen, then go for a laptop - CRT will just take up too much space.

Started the year with a fairly basic CD player, but it died, so returned to personal CD player. My neighbour has a fairly large sound system, which I don't always appreciate. No TV or video - you won't have time! DVD player in my computer

Erm, no, I wouldn't take your drumkit.

A few books to read, unless you're an English student, in which case a small library.

As for how much space - a whole car - two bags of clothes, several boxes of files, textbooks etc (although I acquired these over the year; I didn't start out with them), and two/three boxes of kitchen/bathroom/general furnishings stuff. Plus a sombrero.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    lots of stuff.
    Did I read somewhere that you're a cellist? I'm currently terrified that if I bring my cello up I'll have pretty much no other space. How do you/other people deal with that?

ReputationRep:
    No TV or video - you won't have time! DVD player in my computer
    Seriously? I was going to take my TV with me!!! I'm going to get a dvd player in my laptop so wasn't going to take that, but I would have thought we'd have time to watch just a little bit of tv!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tom Holder)
    Musical Instrument ? (this is probably impractical as i'm a drummer)
    Cool! I'll have to meet up with you. I've always loved drums and have wanted 2 play them since I was younger, but we don't have room for them at home. However, my form room at school is the music room so I've kind of taught myself them and people say I have good natural rhythm and somehow I just look right playing them (despite being a girl!), but I can't do anything fancy yet, but I'd love to learn how to! Perhap's you could teach me?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hoofbeat)
    Seriously? I was going to take my TV with me!!! I'm going to get a dvd player in my laptop so wasn't going to take that, but I would have thought we'd have time to watch just a little bit of tv!
    I'm sure you would be able to make time, but don't you expect to have worthier/more fun things to do?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RxB)
    Did I read somewhere that you're a cellist? I'm currently terrified that if I bring my cello up I'll have pretty much no other space. How do you/other people deal with that?
    I played the cello, but haven't really since coming here, so think it's probably time to say I've given up When I first came up at the start of my first term, I had two cars, one with the cello and the bike, and one with everything else. Without the cello, and with the bike on a rack behind the car, it's possible in one car.

Well, I'm not sure of overall statistics or anything, but not many of my friends have a TV, and I don't really miss it in term time, to be honest. You get abusive letters from the TV licensing company too :mad:

ReputationRep:
    Well, I'm not sure of overall statistics or anything, but not many of my friends have a TV, and I don't really miss it in term time, to be honest. You get abusive letters from the TV licensing company too :mad:
    I have one. Can't miss Newsnight

ReputationRep:
    i cant watch newsnight....i just think of dead ringers all the time. It's like when i watch andrew marr on the news, you can see he's trying oh so hard to not move his arms, and now they've started taking the piss out of that guy on morning news who sits with his legs wide open, you can see him trying to position himself behind the table, or otherwise shut his legs. It must really hurt being impersonated!

Oh also: it's still worth taking me guitars to uni isnt it!?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alexander)
    I'm sure you would be able to make time, but don't you expect to have worthier/more fun things to do?
    sure, i plan to do exciting things too. Just I'm normally an early bird and like to catch the latest news etc on GMTV every morning! lol. I just like my TV especially for the Simpsons & ER!!!

And thanks for the advice bout TV license - I'll make sure I get one before I go!

ReputationRep:
    I think I heard of something in that you could get a TV card for your pc and you didn't need a license. Might that be more useful?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acaila)
    I think I heard of something in that you could get a TV card for your pc and you didn't need a license. Might that be more useful?
    nah you still need a license

ReputationRep:
    Did anyone take any school notes to uni? I'm going to be studying physics (hopefully at ox) and was wondering whether people take maths or physics notes with them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kikzen)
    Ah right, sorry

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bezza)
    Did anyone take any school notes to uni? I'm going to be studying physics (hopefully at ox) and was wondering whether people take maths or physics notes with them.
    heya, I'm doing Physics at Ox hopefully too! I'm going to take my A2 notes on Physics and Maths with me, just incase I forget some of the basics! I'm also taking textbooks that cover the further maths Pure modules (P4-P6) as I haven't studied them at school, along with a maths book I've bought that's designed for undergrads and a few physics books that might be helpful, or interesting. Other than that, Ii'll start a fresh when I get here.

What were you thinking of doing?

ReputationRep:
    I played the cello, but haven't really since coming here, so think it's probably time to say I've given up When I first came up at the start of my first term, I had two cars, one with the cello and the bike, and one with everything else. Without the cello, and with the bike on a rack behind the car, it's possible in one car.
    So in short I'll either need two cars, a van or the ability to pack incredibly light if I'm planning to bring my cello with me?

(I'm assured my college orchestra is amateur enough for me to join)

ReputationRep:
    heya, I'm doing Physics at Ox hopefully too! I'm going to take my A2 notes on Physics and Maths with me, just incase I forget some of the basics! I'm also taking textbooks that cover the further maths Pure modules (P4-P6) as I haven't studied them at school, along with a maths book I've bought that's designed for undergrads and a few physics books that might be helpful, or interesting. Other than that, Ii'll start a fresh when I get here.

What were you thinking of doing?

feynman lecutres on physics...that's all i need to take (strokes his copies)
    and my notes from this year seem far from complete!

ReputationRep:
    Sorry to be pedantic (though an Oxbridge forum might appreciate it more than most) but licence is the noun, and license is the verb.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kikzen)

ya but its harder to prove. You can get away with it more easily. Usually if theyre conducting signal tests on campus you would see them as opposed to when theyre hiding in a street corner or something. It happened with my friend, they knocked on his door telling him he had a t.v signal, and he denied it saying he had no television and said the signal was from someon who walked into his room with a portable television.

ReputationRep:
    How do you actually get a tv licence? Doesn't the college's one cover you?

Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.