Size:  322.7 KB

Could anyone help me with these two?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TimGB)
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 71

For the first one think about using the exponential definition of sinhx, and for the other perhaps just write it as cosec4x and see if you can do anything with integrating it my recognition etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TimGB)
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 71

First one notes sinh2x=2sinhxcoshx

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by physicsmaths)
    First one notes sinh2x=2sinhxcoshx

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It's cos not cosh though. There's both a hyperbolic and trig function in the integral.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TimGB)
    It's cos not cosh though. There's both a hyperbolic and trig function in the integral.
    Oh ok.
    Do what Jordon suggested.
    Notes something about doing parts a few times on two integrals.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jordan\)
    For the first one think about using the exponential definition of sinhx, and for the other perhaps just write it as cosec4x and see if you can do anything with integrating it my recognition etc.
    I'm not sure if parts will help - it looks like it will go on in a continuous cycle.

For the second on I did what you suggested, rearranged to csc²(x) + csc²(x)cot²(x) - not sure how to integrate the second part though. My mind is kind of dead after doing these for 4 hours, so I might be making an easy mistake.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TimGB)
    I'm not sure if parts will help - it looks like it will go on in a continuous cycle. For the second on I did that, rearranged to csc²(x) + csc²(x)cot²(x) - not sure how to integrate the second part though. My mind is kind of dead after doing these for 4 hours, so I might be making an easy mistake.
    It is a cycle that is the point' consider rearranging when you have the same integral on the right!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TimGB)
    Would you mind terribly making a new thread and asking for help, you're cluttering this thread up integrals you need help on. This thread has a slightly different purpose.

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zacken)
    Would you mind terribly making a new thread and asking for help, you're cluttering this thread up integrals you need help on. This thread has a slightly different purpose.

Thanks.
    I will do that. I was going to do that originally but then I found this thread which I thought would be a better place for it, but never mind.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TimGB)

Separating into

2I = \displaystyle\int \Big( e^x \cos{x} - e^{-x} \cos{x} \Big) \mathrm{d}x

Both parts of that integral can be solved independently by using integration by parts twice. Basically the idea is that you let

I_a = \displaystyle\int u \dfrac{\mathrm{d}v}{\mathrm{d}x} \mathrm{d} x

and do parts until the original integral forms again, you can then solve for  I_a .

Note that I'm just using sub a as notation so you don't get mixed up with two integrals.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.