y08wildings
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I am doing some work on the measurements in the universe, and was wondering if anyone could explain in simple terms how they work?
Any info helps,
Thanks!
Andy98
  • Study Helper
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by y08wildings)
I am doing some work on the measurements in the universe, and was wondering if anyone could explain in simple terms how they work?
Any info helps,
Thanks!
Do you know how sonar works? It's a similar concept but with radio waves rather than sound waves
Kyx
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Kind of like echolocation in bats.
Joinedup
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Well it's bouncing radio signals off objects and analysing the return signal as others have said...

hopefully there's some useful information specific to astronomical radar for you here http://echo.jpl.nasa.gov/introduction.html
probably you want to pay particular attention how it's different from astronomy using naturally occuring radiation and what sort of information you can get from radar, especially if it's different from what you could get by other methods.

or google for 'planetary radar' etc
uberteknik
  • Study Helper
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by y08wildings)
Any info helps,
Thanks!
A pulse of electromagnetic radiation (radio frequency)propagates away from a directional source. At the same instant an accurate timer is started running.

When the outwardly propagating radio pulse interacts with an object, that object absorbs and reflects some of the EM energy back towards the source.

The pulse transmitter is also a receiver which detects the returning EM energy albeit at a very reduced amplitude.

When the returned pulse is detected, the timer is stopped and [in it's simplest form] a distance computation is performed using the return journey time and the EM pulse propagation velocity (speed of light).

i.e. s = \frac{v}{2t}

Because the transmitting antenna is designed to be highly directional and thus concentrating the EM energy into a narrow beam, the azimuth and elevation of the beam at the time the pulse is transmitted and returned is used to compute the direction to the target.

Hence the acronym RADAR RAdio Detection And Ranging.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (513)
33.75%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (627)
41.25%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (311)
20.46%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (69)
4.54%

Watched Threads