Turn on thread page Beta

Difference in working out relative atomic mass and relative isotopic mass? watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm starting all the way from the beginning again and want to be precise in my notes.

I know the difference in meaning: RAM is weighted mean mass compared with 1/12th mass of carbon 12 and RIM is weighted mean mass of an isotope compared with 1/12th of the mass of an atom of carbon 12... right?

But the working out is very similar, as in they both follow the same working out method pretty much:
    (x)+(x)
    ____
    (x)+(x)
    • Community Assistant
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Very Important Poster
    Someone, perhaps charco, please correct me if I'm wrong but I doubt you'd have to work out the relative isotopic mass. The RIM is given to you to find the relative atomic mass.

I hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kvothe the arcane)
    Someone, perhaps charco, please correct me if I'm wrong but I doubt you'd have to work out the relative isotopic mass. The RIM is given to you to find the relative atomic mass.

I hope this helps
    THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    i can't thank you enough! I wouldn't continue my notes until I didn't have an answer! I checked my past exam questions and like you said I'd been given the RIM and then asked to work out the RAM.
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper

I hope this helps
    Isotopes have a relative mass (of course) - they cannot have a relative isotopic mass per isotope, that just makes no sense.

Each individual isotope has a RIM
    The element has a RAM based on the natural abundances of the isotopes.
    • Community Assistant
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by charco)
    Isotopes have a relative mass (of course) - they cannot have a relative isotopic mass per isotope, that just makes no sense.

I don't disagree with you.

ReputationRep:
    What year r u guys in?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    I don't disagree with you.
    I know - I only answered because you asked for confirmation ...

ReputationRep:

I'm kinda confused again on the part where you say isotopes can't have a RIM per isotopes but each individual isotope has a RIM. what do you mean?
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Someoneanyone)
    I'm kinda confused again on the part where you say isotopes can't have a RIM per isotopes but each individual isotope has a RIM. what do you mean?
    An isotope is a particle. It has a specific mass. This can be expressed as a relative mass, but the same isotope ALWAYS has the same mass. There can be no such thing as an 'average' isotope mass.

ReputationRep:
    An isotope is a particle. It has a specific mass. This can be expressed as a relative mass, but the same isotope ALWAYS has the same mass. There can be no such thing as an 'average' isotope mass.
    okay i guess, thanks, i think i know what i need to now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Usman19999)
    What year r u guys in?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Year 12

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: January 30, 2016

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    Christ's College Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Sep '18
  2. Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Sep '18
  3. Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.