Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

People assume I'm racist because I'm White Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    "You're so white mate" acceptable.
    "You're so black mate" Racist.
    Are people being too contradictory? or is this OK?

ReputationRep:
    Do not worry...
    In 50 years time, though old, you will be a rarity ...

ReputationRep:
    I know what you mean. Yesterday in R.E we looked at an anti-racism poster. It said something along the lines of: 'Racists, your child needs a blood transfusion. You better pick the white one.'
    I found this to be quite offensive, as it seemed to imply that all racists are white, which is obviously untrue. In the past, there was a lot of racism towards black people/Asians/etc, but now I feel that things are going too far the other way. I wish people would just get on with each other regardless of race.

ReputationRep:
    I think its kind of taboo to go around saying "you're so white". It would be challenged too. But don't you understand why its more problematic to say "you're so black"?

ReputationRep:
    It is prejudiced to assume both that white people are racist and non-white people are never racist. If you read some of Gandhi's early writings for example you can see how much he hated black Africans. So he would count as a non-white racist. Many ISIS member's are Arab supremacists, and so are actively racist against white people.

Ironically this isn't a black and white issue. It's far more nuanced than that. Though in general racism at the moment is more strongly directed towards the black community, particularly in america, and I've seen a lot of it in the UK too.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.