Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How to afford constant travel? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    How do young people afford constant travel without savings? I see people on Facebook and Instagram (20 - 25yr olds) travelling all around the world and not seeming to need to worry about money. It's something I'd love to do but it's financially untouchable at the moment. I often hear people say 'write a travel blog and make money from that', but that takes time to reach a point where revenue starts to dribble in and even then I can't imagine it would fund your whole trip. Am I missing something? How do people earn money whilst travelling?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Well you can get a job at 16 so they probably save a lot of their income and then wait until it becomes affordable, or get money from their family

(Original post by TSRsteven)
    How do young people afford constant travel without savings? I see people on Facebook and Instagram (20 - 25yr olds) travelling all around the world and not seeming to need to worry about money. It's something I'd love to do but it's financially untouchable at the moment. I often hear people say 'write a travel blog and make money from that', but that takes time to reach a point where revenue starts to dribble in and even then I can't imagine it would fund your whole trip. Am I missing something? How do people earn money whilst travelling?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It's relatively cheap to travel if you know how
    To get off this island, most youngsters use Ryannair, a ferry, basically no frills. I doubt those friends of yours are travelling Club Europe on British Airways
    Also, I doubt they'd stay at the Intercontinental on the Champs-Elysee probably in a cheap B&B or they use AirBnB...
    Backpacking is a cheap way to see a lot, especially if you have the energy to do so, and I believe it is quite cheap to get buses to different cities on mainland Europe rather than plane or train.
    North America is more expensive obviously, but that's due to the airfare. In fact a flight from LGW to JFK on Norwegian would cost you £450. That's not a fortune (granted Norwegian is by no means a five star airline BUT if it gets you from point A to B, what's the problem?!) And finding a cheap motel in the US and Canada isn't hard and in most cases still offers you a good bed to sleep in for the night. And if you could rent a car, then you've got a road trip!! Letting you see many cities very cheaply.
    On the other side of the world in the Far East, it is easy to think about how expensive it might be. You may not feel as comfortable staying in a Youth Hostel or B&B BUT if you look hard enough you can find something...

ReputationRep:
    Assume you mean long term travel?

Time, money and motivation - and rarely do you have all three.

Realistically, live on beans on toast, deny yourself every little luxury, save everything, get a second job, and a third...save some more - and then have a great trip whilst it lasts.

You can save a bit / maybe even make a few quid whilst travelling working in hostel bars...but generally speaking its pointless - you spend what you earn being there. So it's ok if you love the place and want to lower expenditure...but it's not going to increase your funds.

Blogs? There's millions of the things and a tiny percentage make money. Forget it.

You don't make money travelling doing backpacker jobs. You make it at home. The only two exceptions:

1) Working holiday visa for Aus/NZ. A year there would get you funds for a South East Asia trip on the way home.

2) TEFL somewhere like S. Korea or Thailand. You can save there, but, well, it wouldn't be my cup of tea.

I got lucky - redundancy payoff kept me going for years and then i ended up working in travel. Not stayed still for 8 years now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TSRsteven)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Living at home while working full time after you graduate from uni save it up in the bank until your comfortable then go travelling?

Idk but if your a student I know some students chose shared rooms rather than ensuite to save the extra money and fund it towards a holiday.

ReputationRep:
    Very easy.

Just like Coupon Kid http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/tr...NE-Berlin.html

Don't focus on going abroad just to get 'instagram' fame. Yes use instagram but also try and live the experience cause thats what will matter in the end.

My biggest tip to make/save money: Don't follow the crowd. Try the alternative.

Look at cost saving, coupons , bus instead of train , 6 months phone contract then sell phone for £400 + to lose no money.

How to go to Popular places for 80% Discount? e.g DUBAI !

Direct Summer Flight to Dubai = £ 750 Total Flying time 7 hours

In-Direct Flight with 1 or 2 stops = £180 Total Flying time 11 hours

How to Save when you're there?

Why spend soo much on a hotel with bad views when you can sleep in a hostel and have lunch and dinner at the highest most exclusive buildings ( that will look better for your instagram pictures )

MAKE MONEY?

i'm not even 18 and earn above the uk average salary via stock trading via ( parents name 18+ ) and i've never ever had a 'job' retail £4 per hour ****. I recommend looking at other ways of making money than retail.

1. Open a stall at your local market
    2. Stock Trading
    3. Youtube ( It's not too later to be big )
    4. Have a car? Be a delivery person ( getting paid to drive in your car isn't bad )
    5. Speak French? Look for a tourist job in Paris the wage is considerably higher and its just £5 away by coach.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.