Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

n-point Wightman functions (notation confusion) Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    The problem I am trying to solve is trivial, but I am struggling with notation. I have a recursive formula for the nth Wightman function,

\displaystyle W_n(x_1,...,x_n)= \sum_{k=2}^n \Delta_+(x_1-x_k)W_{n-2}(x_1,...,\hat{x}_k,...,x_n),

where \hat{x}_k indicates that the kth argument has been 'cancelled'. I also know that W_0=1 and W_1=0.

The question is to find W_{2n+1}. Intuitively it looks like the answer should be zero, as it will be some product of the n-point Wightman functions with odd n. This includes W_1=0, and so W_{2n+1}=0.

However, syntactically the recursion formula doesn't actually seem to work. If we let n \rightarrow 2n+1 in the formula, we get

\displaystyle W_{2n+1}(x_1,...,x_{2n+1})= \sum_{k=2}^{2n+1} \Delta_+(x_1-x_k)W_{2n-1}(x_1,...,\hat{x}_k,...,x_{2n+1  }).

The next step would be to use the recursion formula again to compute

W_{2n-1}(x_1,...,\hat{x}_k,...,x_{2n+1  }),

but this doesn't seem to be possible since in the formula the subscripts on W and the final argument are equal, and this isn't the case here.

Specifically, if we let n \rightarrow 2n-1 in the formula, we get an expression for

W_{2n-1}(x_1,...,x_{2n-1}),

and if we let n \rightarrow 2n+1 in the formula, we get an expression for

W_{2n+1}(x_1,...,x_{2n+1}).

Neither of these is what we want: the former has the wrong arguments, and the latter is the wrong function!

ReputationRep:
    As an example I have looked at the 4-point functions. Using the formula,

\displaystyle W_4(x_1,x_2,x_3,x_4) = \Delta_+(x_1-x_2)W_2(x_1,x_3,x_4)+\Delta_+(x_  1-x_3)W_2(x_1,x_2,x_4) +\Delta_+(x_1-x_4)W_2(x_1,x_2,x_3).

But then we can't use the formula because the formula tells us how to compute the nth function with n arguments, where we now have nth functions with n+1 arguments...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Implication)
    The problem I am trying to solve is trivial, but I am struggling with notation. I have a recursive formula for the nth Wightman function,

\displaystyle W_n(x_1,...,x_n)= \sum_{k=2}^n \Delta_+(x_1-x_k)W_{n-2}(x_1,...,\hat{x}_k,...,x_n),
    Eek! It's over thirty years since I studied quantum field theory and the neurons where it was kept have long since been retired. However...

There does seem to be a serious problem with this formula as the left hand side implies that W_n is a function of n variables, whereas the right hand side is a sum of W_{n-2}'s that appear to be functions of n-1 variables. Unless that \Delta_+ is doing something weird. Remind me, what is it? Something nasty with distributions?

ReputationRep:
    As an example I have looked at the 4-point functions. Using the formula,

\displaystyle W_4(x_1,x_2,x_3,x_4) = \Delta_+(x_1-x_2)W_2(x_1,x_3,x_4)+\Delta_+(x_  1-x_3)W_2(x_1,x_2,x_4) +\Delta_+(x_1-x_4)W_2(x_1,x_2,x_3).

But then we can't use the formula because the formula tells us how to compute the nth function with n arguments, where we now have nth functions with n+1 arguments...
    Exactly. Where have you got the formula from?

ReputationRep:

I've found something like this formula in Roepstorff's "Path Integral Approach to Quantum Physics", and there the formula is:

\displaystyle W_n(x_1,...,x_n)= \sum_{k=1}^{n-1} \Delta_+(x_k-x_n)W_{n-2}(x_1,...,\hat{x}_k,...,x_{n-1}),

So is this just a typo situation?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gregorius)
    I've found something like this formula in Roepstorff's "Path Integral Approach to Quantum Physics", and there the formula is:

\displaystyle W_n(x_1,...,x_n)= \sum_{k=1}^{n-1} \Delta_+(x_k-x_n)W_{n-2}(x_1,...,\hat{x}_k,...,x_{n-1}),

So is this just a typo situation?
    Yes! The formula I posted was lifted straight from the teacher's lecture notes for the course. I compared it to the textbook and thought it was the same, but I've just quadruple checked and discovered that the arguments on the (n-2)th function should start from x_2, not x_1:

\displaystyle W_n(x_1,...,x_n)= \sum_{k=2}^n \Delta_+(x_1-x_k)W_{n-2}(x_2,...,\hat{x}_k,...,x_n)

That means that the first x is omitted as well as the kth and right number of arguments are there after all and everything works out fine

The formula you've posted looks like it should work out to be equivalent to this (corrected) version. I've checked for n=4 and it gives the same so thank you very much! This is like a weight off my shoulders haha, I went to chat to my lecturer about it and she just didn't understand what my problem was so it's good to know I wasn't going crazy

ReputationRep:
    This is like a weight off my shoulders haha, I went to chat to my lecturer about it and she just didn't understand what my problem was so it's good to know I wasn't going crazy

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.