Do you consider Scottish people Northerners? Watch

Announcements
  • View Poll Results: do you?
    Yes
    27.27%
    No
    72.73%

ReputationRep:
    When people say 'the North', they mean the north of England. Likewise for 'Northerners'.

If you mean something different when you say it, I'm sorry to have to break it to you that people have been misunderstanding you for years.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Good bloke)
    Ah! The well-known No True North Briton Fallacy makes an appearance.
    Saying that people did not consider the question properly and likely were expressing a normative view is a No True Scotsman? Good point well made, bud.

ReputationRep:
    No. They are just loonies.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by callum_law)
    Saying that people did not consider the question properly and likely were expressing a normative view is a No True Scotsman? Good point well made, bud.
    It's a variant. Or you could come clean and admit you were calling everyone who disagrees with you stupid.

ReputationRep:
    I'm Scottish and I have never ever considered myself "northern". I'm Scottish, thanks. Yes, it might be the northern half of Britain, but I'd say we can be very different culturally. I remember traveling down to the north of England and passing the Angel of the North and laughing because it's essentially in the middle of the bloody country. Personally, I think that says a lot in terms of answering your question.

So, while it may be geographically correct to call us northerners, I suspect most of us would just prefer to be referred to as Scottish.

ReputationRep:
    It's a variant. Or you could come clean and admit you were calling everyone who disagrees with you stupid.
    I never called anyone stupid. I said your argument was wrong. If you think that means you're stupid, then you make a good point.

ReputationRep:
    I've always considered them as Northerns

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TimmonaPortella)
    If you mean something different when you say it, I'm sorry to have to break it to you that people have been misunderstanding you for years.
    Strong reading your own words into the OP :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anitax)
    Strong reading your own words into the OP :rolleyes:
    I said 'if'.

(Original post by Oxford English Dictionary)
    if, conj. and n.

A.

conj. I. Introducing a clause of condition or supposition (the protasis of a conditional sentence).

On condition that; given or granted that; in (the) case that; supposing that; on the supposition that.

ReputationRep:
    Well they certainly are not Southerners, they have manners.

ReputationRep:
    As someone from the North of Scotland (alright a smidge north of the central belt ), yer all feckin' southerners .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CAElite)
    As someone from the North of Scotland (alright a smidge north of the central belt ), yer all feckin' southerners .
    Do you even have Internet all the way up there?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by callum_law)
    Do you even have Internet all the way up there?
    Sorry cant hear you over "doodoodoododooo beeebow beeebow schshchshchsh"

Nah but yea. 8mb copper for the win. Cant wait to move my ass back to Glasgow next year, need fibre for my file server to work. ;P

ReputationRep:
    I feel like where I am (sorta like northern cumbria) is the North, anything about 20 miles below is the south, and Scotland is like wildling country or some ****.

ReputationRep:
    You are unfamiliar with the term "North Britain", then?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Britain
    I'm unfamiliar with it because no one uses it. Case in point, I was correct.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Nope. As soon as you come from a place over the border, to me you're Scottish, not a Northerner.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 1998RF)
    I class everybody in Great Britain up from Birmingham Northerners and everyone down Southerners. I am a Northerner
    What so people from Wolverhampton, Walsall, Stoke, Nottingham, Derby are northerners?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anitax)
    But still Northerners?
    Aye.
    The clue was when I typed 'Very'.
    Now, excuse me, my haggis is getting less than hot...😎

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drez999)
    Aye.
    The clue was when I typed 'Very'.
    Now, excuse me, my haggis is getting less than hot...😎
    *typed "very"
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Reporter Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    No. I don't believe the "yes" voters really think that. They likely thought "omg, Scotland is in da north of Britain. I didn't realise this. Omg, yea. They are northerners". In common usage, northerners is used to refer to those in north England.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.