Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Does every TC app question MUST require different examples of achievements/exp? Watch

ReputationRep:
    what if the 3rd question on the application form for example could be answered just as well by using an experience which you've already used for a previous question?

Or could I just answer the latter question by mixing in 2 experiences?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Different questions are asking for different things. I'd personally avoid any repetition or similarity in examples used.

But it depends on the questions.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Use different experiences to illustrate different competencies absolutely

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J-SP)
    Different questions are asking for different things. I'd personally avoid any repetition or similarity in examples used.

But it depends on the questions.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    (Original post by happyinthehaze)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Ok I get that, but when filling out the work experience sections, do I just state my duties and responsibilities in the role I was in (not trying to illustrate competencies etc as this is done in the separate competency questions)?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by glass14)
    Ok I get that, but when filling out the work experience sections, do I just state my duties and responsibilities in the role I was in (not trying to illustrate competencies etc as this is done in the separate competency questions)?
    Work experience sections are like what you should put on the CV - brief and factual about your responsibilities and achievements in the role. Don't waffle on about the competencies you developed - the reader will be able to infer those skills anyway.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J-SP)
    Work experience sections are like what you should put on the CV - brief and factual about your responsibilities and achievements in the role. Don't waffle on about the competencies you developed - the reader will be able to infer those skills anyway.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    in that case, could I simply just mix in bullet points?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    in that case, could I simply just mix in bullet points?
    If the form allows you to use bullet points, I don't see why you can't use them. Not sure what you mean by "mix in" though - either use them or not.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by happyinthehaze)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    What's your opinion on using one experience to illustrate 2 competencies?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    What's your opinion on using one experience to illustrate 2 competencies?
    Isn't there another example you could use for one of the two? You wan't to try and show diversity in your experiences, and so if you can, I would try and use another example.

If you only have one example of that skill/competency, then you probably need to look for ways in which you can develop that skill further.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J-SP)
    Isn't there another example you could use for one of the two? You wan't to try and show diversity in your experiences, and so if you can, I would try and use another example.

If you only have one example of that skill/competency, then you probably need to look for ways in which you can develop that skill further.
    There are 6 competencies this firm looks for, although I have 6 different experiences, one of those experiences is a bit "lacking" (although maybe I haven't thought about that one hard enough..). And what do you mean developing a skill further? As in expanding further on one of my experiences?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    There are 6 competencies this firm looks for, although I have 6 different experiences, one of those experiences is a bit "lacking" (although maybe I haven't thought about that one hard enough..). And what do you mean developing a skill further? As in expanding further on one of my experiences?
    I mean finding opportunities to develop that skill further.

I suspect you have got another suitable example, you just don't think it's "worthy" enough to put on your application. It really doesn't matter what it is, it's more how you describe it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 2, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.