Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Having no career aspirations is stressing me out Watch

Announcements

Hi everyone, this is probably going to be quite long, so I apologise in advance.

Some background info:

When I started sixth form, I was confident that I wanted to get a job in geology. I'd enjoyed geography at GCSE, and took geology and geography at A Level, thinking those were the subjects I wanted to focus on (along with ICT as a third subject). I found geology to be the easiest of my subjects, and I consistently did well in it (gaining an A overall). However, I realised that I didn't enjoy it as much as I thought I would. In addition, I also realised that I had no interest in any other subjects, which led me to apply for a geology degree last year, despite not really enjoying it.

My current situation/predicament:

Due to personal reasons, I decided to take a gap year, and I'm about halfway through it now. Between applying for uni last year and applying again this year, I still haven't managed to find any subjects which interest me. I was therefore pretty much forced to apply for geology/geoscience again, and I have received a couple of offers.

While applying for geology seemed like the best option at the time, I'm now starting to get stressed at the thought of it. I've been looking at various careers which I could do with a geology degree, and none of them look appealing to me. I've always been the kind of person who needs/likes to have a clear plan, and I'm getting stressed out at the thought of not knowing what to do after my degree. Considering that I don't even like geology that much anyway, I was hoping to at least find a decent looking career which I could work towards, to make me feel like I'm actually achieving something, but I haven't been able to.

I guess what I'd like to know is, what do you guys think I should do? Should I stick with the geology degree, and hope that a suitable career comes along later? Or something else?

All advice is greatly appreciated

ReputationRep:
    I can't really give any long-term advice, but in terms of the degree, please do not do it if you are not going to be interested in it or pursue it as a career at all. It will be an expensive waste of money and time.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 29, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.