Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

french or not Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    basically we are picking our gcses this year (year 9) and ive got a choice to make, spanish or french
    when i came to this school they made me do spanish even though I could speak French , but now I hve forgotten most of the French and I have goot a good level in Spanish (6c) everyone in my family speaks french , so should i pic french or spanish
    what do u think?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by forre)
    basically we are picking our gcses this year (year 9) and ive got a choice to make, spanish or french
    when i came to this school they made me do spanish even though I could speak French , but now I hve forgotten most of the French and I have goot a good level in Spanish (6c) everyone in my family speaks french , so should i pic french or spanish
    what do u think?
    Do you not have the opportunity to pick both? That would be ideal.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by forre)
    what do u think?
    You should do Spanish though you can also do French even if you forgotten most of it as you'll still learn the vocabulary needed for the GCSE exam. If I was you, I would do both.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by super_kawaii)
    Do you not have the opportunity to pick both? That would be ideal.
    we can only do one language

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JTran38)
    You should do Spanish though you can also do French even if you forgotten most of it as you'll still learn the vocabulary needed for the GCSE exam. If I was you, I would do both.
    i wanted to do both but we can only do one
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    I would pick spanish in your case. apparently, the people who ''look at your gcses'' later on will want a gcse language that you learn, not know. even if they dont know you speak french you can always tell them you're bilingual and that in itself will be good enough. if you speak with your family daily in french even though you've forgotten most of the harder vocab i'd say that you are still fluent in it. im in a similar situation where i speak english, vietnamese and is on my last gcse year for french.
    if there was a vietnamese gcse, then i wouldnt pick it because i know it to a point where i can hold a conversation with the natives.

ReputationRep:
    French is a lot of grammar work, but at GCSE you can definitely start from scratch with a little motivation. I dont difficulty should have to do with your decision, it sounds like you are capable of doing well.

I think its more about which will be most useful to you in future, do you want to live in a french/spanish speaking country or visit these places?

There are other routes though, you can always study one later on in life or outside school if you really enjoy languages. Good luck with your gcse's :-)
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by forre)
    i wanted to do both but we can only do one
    Ah ... I would go for Spanish although you could speak to your teacher about doing either French or Spanish. I think they'll say do French GCSE first as you speak it despite you forgetting most of your French as you can easily get it done and dusted. Then you'll continue with Spanish for GCSE. I could be wrong.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by forre)
    we can only do one language
    I'd say go with Spanish, as pronunciation and grammar seem to be easier from what I've heard (I did French to A Level and the grammar still stumps me, it's so hard). Also, if you decide to carry on with languages later in life, knowing Spanish will be far more useful than French in the great scheme of thing, although the GCSE syllabus is by no means a measure of fluency

ReputationRep:
    I'd say go with Spanish, as pronunciation and grammar seem to be easier from what I've heard (I did French to A Level and the grammar still stumps me, it's so hard). Also, if you decide to carry on with languages later in life, knowing Spanish will be far more useful than French in the great scheme of thing, although the GCSE syllabus is by no means a measure of fluency
    if i picked french would i be able to get a good grade ? with hard work?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by forre)
    With either of them you'll be able to get a good grade. Language GCSEs are relatively easy-they just require an ability to parrot. There's no need to prove thinking in the language or knowledge of more advanced grammar.

ReputationRep:
    With either of them you'll be able to get a good grade. Language GCSEs are relatively easy-they just require an ability to parrot. There's no need to prove thinking in the language or knowledge of more advanced grammar.
    then it makes more sense that i should pick french , my parents wants me to pick it aswell

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by forre)
    then it makes more sense that i should pick french , my parents wants me to pick it aswell
    Ignore what your parents want for you. Which language would you prefer to do?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by forre)
    If you want to, sure! there is no reason why you can't. The only thing I would say being a french speaker; is grammar and writing. Other than that you could easily get 100% on speaking listening and reading (not sure if the GCSE changed).

I did mine last year, I lived in France for 4 years from 5-9. My grammar was all over the place but i came very close to 100%.

I vote french, there is more to a language than just speaking it. But at the same ,time in this case, I don't think there is a wrong option, you sound like you enjoy languages, so you should be fine :-) whatever. Choose your favourite.

ReputationRep:
    To French or not to French..that is the question.....XD

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Candy55)
    To French or not to French..that is the question.....XD

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hannahamy74)
    If you want to, sure! there is no reason why you can't. The only thing I would say being a french speaker; is grammar and writing. Other than that you could easily get 100% on speaking listening and reading (not sure if the GCSE changed).

I did mine last year, I lived in France for 4 years from 5-9. My grammar was all over the place but i came very close to 100%.

I vote french, there is more to a language than just speaking it. But at the same ,time in this case, I don't think there is a wrong option, you sound like you enjoy languages, so you should be fine :-) whatever. Choose your favourite.
    i agree with you , just one question is it ever possible to learn french in two years without ANY background

ReputationRep:
    Ignore what your parents want for you. Which language would you prefer to do?
    true but i Think il take french because i can Always talk to them at home and they can help me with course work and that

and does anyone of you know how the gcse Changes will affect launguages

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by forre)
    true but i Think il take french because i can Always talk to them at home and they can help me with course work and that

and does anyone of you know how the gcse Changes will affect launguages
    If you speak it at home, then it'll be even easier for you. You can easily learn Spanish at home in your own time if you want to.

I'm not sure about GCSE changes as I'm currently in my 4th year at uni

ReputationRep:
    If you speak and understand it, definitely, it would be very easy. If you don't then it might be a lot harder but with a LOT of dedication; its totally possible, you could learn all the vocab in 6 months if you tried.

Most languages are built on a stem of a couple thousand words, which sounds like a lot but you could use these to communicate almost anything.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    How are your GCSEs going so far?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.