Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Sharia law may stop MPs drinking. Watch

• Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    MPs could be forced to stop drinking alcohol when they move out of the Palace of Westminster while it undergoes much-needed repairs over the next decade – because of Sharia law.

Earlier this week plans were revealed for MPs to be rehoused in a temporary chamber in a courtyard in the Department of Health, but it has emerged that the building is governed by Islamic law.

The building, located at 79 Whitehall, was quietly transferred to finance an Islamic bond scheme in 2014.

Read More:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...haria-law.html
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    We may just see the fastest passed law in democratic history, once they move there.

ReputationRep:
    How can it be governed by 'Islamic law', I was under the impression we were all under one law in this country?

ReputationRep:
    Not sure I'd want to see tax payers money spent on making a temporary bar for MP's anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KingKoala)
    How can it be governed by 'Islamic law', I was under the impression we were all under one law in this country?
    Apparently the DM would have you believe that every prohibition of alcohol is rooted in Islamic law.

So, the bars and the pubs that close at midnight, they are enforcing "Sharia law".
    The drunken parties that you are not allowed to have after 11? That's down to "Sharia law".
    The employment agreement that says you are not allowed to drink at work? That's also "Sharia law".
    That tenancy agreement that stipulates that alcohol cannot be served on the premises? "Sharia law".

ReputationRep:
    Looks like those racists of the EDL and Britain First were right.

Never mind.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheArtofProtest)
    Apparently the DM would have you believe that every prohibition of alcohol is rooted in Islamic law.

So, the bars and the pubs that close at midnight, they are enforcing "Sharia law".
    The drunken parties that you are not allowed to have after 11? That's down to "Sharia law".
    The employment agreement that says you are not allowed to drink at work? That's also "Sharia law".
    That tenancy agreement that stipulates that alcohol cannot be served on the premises? "Sharia law".
    Erm no. The very reason there is prohibition is because of Islamic bonds that have been bought buy Muslims, and are thus allowed to implement their own laws. In this case, it is Sharia.

The Treasury agreed to make the sukuk fully compliant with Sharia law to ensure investors were not put off investing in the scheme, meaning each of the buildings used to finance the products must meet the terms of Sharia law, including the ban on alcohol.

ReputationRep:
    I don't want drunks to be ruling over me

ReputationRep:
    Department of Health building is governed by the body of Islamic law
    Saudi Arabia or UK? Confused...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KingKoala)
    No, private owners can implement their own rules on their own property. In this case, because of the Islamic bond scheme, they can, legally, implement Sharia law on property they own. The bond can only be purchased by Islamic investors, because Osborne decided that's a good idea to attract wealth.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord Samosa)
    Not sure I'd want to see tax payers money spent on making a temporary bar for MP's anyway.
    I think the principle is more important. If they can implement sharia law on significant government building, then they can do it anywhere in the UK. For example, restaurants, Universities, city centres, shopping malls, rented homes. You get the idea.

Rent a property that is owned through an Islamic bond scheme, then you can't drink alcohol, have a gay partner, eat pork etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AlwaysWatching)
    Erm no. The very reason there is prohibition is because of Islamic bonds that have been bought buy Muslims, and are thus allowed to implement their own laws. In this case, it is Sharia.

The Treasury agreed to make the sukuk fully compliant with Sharia law to ensure investors were not put off investing in the scheme, meaning each of the buildings used to finance the products must meet the terms of Sharia law, including the ban on alcohol.
    And how is this different to any other agreement, where some pre-existing conditions must be met or adhered to?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheArtofProtest)
    And how is this different to any other agreement, where some pre-existing conditions must be met or adhered to?
    Elaborate?

ReputationRep:
    Let's hope it also stops them having sex with chil.. oh wait

ReputationRep:
    No, private owners can implement their own rules on their own property. In this case, because of the Islamic bond scheme, they can, legally, implement Sharia law on property they own. The bond can only be purchased by Islamic investors, because Osborne decided that's a good idea to attract wealth.
    That is ridiculous, religion and law should never cross over.

ReputationRep:
    Elaborate?
    You simply wont be able to simply set up a bar, and charge for drinks, if you are renting from an office company, who are normally very stringent about such activities, not to mention the local council would probably shut the bar down.
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    So the owners of a building don't want to buy an on-licence for selling alcohol. Why is this news?
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    No they can't. They can implement rules, not laws, to say what they will allow on their premesis and what they will not. If someone breaks these rules, they can be asked to leave. That's about it. They can't be fined or summoned to court unless they break an actual law.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by al_94)
    I don't want drunks to be ruling over me
    Why do you think someone who drinks is a drunk?

ReputationRep:
    You can twist the truth any way that you want but alcohol free areas are not new
    A property owner can ban any activity that they want in their property

A large area near me was built by Quakers and there are no pubs. The properties were built for rent but are now privately owned.

The whole village of Bournville has Ben alcohol free for 120 years

I worked at a theatre with a bar, but every Xmas, the Sally Army did a carol concert.
    This meant that the bar was shut.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    How are your GCSEs going so far?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.