Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Sharia law may stop MPs drinking. Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dumachi)
    MPs could be forced to stop drinking alcohol when they move out of the Palace of Westminster while it undergoes much-needed repairs over the next decade – because of Sharia law.

Earlier this week plans were revealed for MPs to be rehoused in a temporary chamber in a courtyard in the Department of Health, but it has emerged that the building is governed by Islamic law.

The building, located at 79 Whitehall, was quietly transferred to finance an Islamic bond scheme in 2014.

Read More:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...haria-law.html
    Am I the only one that finds it LOL that you can have a building in your country (other than an embassy) that is not governed by your law?

Lol at UK government

ReputationRep:
    It IS governed by our laws.

The rules that " happen to be sharia compliant" can be applied by any landowner who rents property.

Where I live , you are not allowed vans, campers or caravans.
    There are villages where all the paintwork has to be the same colour

A band that I knew used to practice in a church hall. They'd often take cans of beer.
    The hall got expensive so they rented another
    But this church insisted that if they rented the hall, no booze was allowed.
    They were very nice about it, but didn't want any alcohol on the premises

People are twisting what are actually quite common tenancy rules to suit an agenda
    I'd be more worried that the mp's need a drink so much. They have cheap booze and pretty much all day drinking . In any other workplace, you'd get the sack if you drank as much as mp's do

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.