Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Edexcel M3 - What is the hardest chapter? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    So I'm currently studying A2 Maths, Physics and Further Maths, continuing onto M3 for my A2 Further Maths. However, I'm finding it very difficult at the moment. FP2 & M2 have been relatively easy. I'm struggling on elastic strings. I was just wondering, does it get harder than this? The questions they ask in the book are very hard and the thing is, the examples they give are so simple and don't properly prepare you for the questions. I got an ABB last year, the A being in Maths. Are exam questions easier than the book questions?

Any help would be great ! Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    problems involving strings, forces and SHM together

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TeeEm)
    problems involving strings, forces and SHM together
    So what would you say is harder, Chapter 2 (Elastic Strings) or Chapter 3 (SHM)?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Resonxnce)
    So what would you say is harder, Chapter 2 (Elastic Strings) or Chapter 3 (SHM)?
    The chapter which have dynamics problems involving SHM

ReputationRep:
    3 - SHM specifically - the rest of 3 is fine

ReputationRep:
    Circular motion!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Resonxnce)
    So I'm currently studying A2 Maths, Physics and Further Maths, continuing onto M3 for my A2 Further Maths. However, I'm finding it very difficult at the moment. FP2 & M2 have been relatively easy. I'm struggling on elastic strings. I was just wondering, does it get harder than this? The questions they ask in the book are very hard and the thing is, the examples they give are so simple and don't properly prepare you for the questions. I got an ABB last year, the A being in Maths. Are exam questions easier than the book questions?

Any help would be great ! Thank you.

SHM, but it gets easier with practice. The rest of it is straightforward. You might want to practice COM from first principles as well.

(Original post by Louisb19)
    Circular motion!
    Circular motion isn't usually too bad, it's just conservation of energy and resolving most of the time!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aymanzayedmannan)
    SHM, but it gets easier with practice. The rest of it is straightforward. You might want to practice COM from first principles as well.

Circular motion isn't usually too bad, it's just conservation of energy and resolving most of the time!
    Totally agree ^

Tbh I found M3 insanely difficult to self teach (maybe because it was the first non-trivial module I self taught) but when I started doing past papers it was nowhere near as hard as I found it at first

PS nice one with the S1 model answers - saw p&mtutor tweet about it :3

ReputationRep:
    Not sure why everyone finds the purple chapter hard.

Only part I found difficult from that chapter was remembering that

G = \dfrac{gR^2}{M}

F = \dfrac{gR^2m}{r^2}

I still find mechanics harder that pure though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Student403)
    Totally agree ^

Tbh I found M3 insanely difficult to self teach (maybe because it was the first non-trivial module I self taught) but when I started doing past papers it was nowhere near as hard as I found it at first

PS nice one with the S1 model answers - saw p&mtutor tweet about it :3

This was completely my situation! I think it's because the Edexcel book has some crazy problems and is inconsistent with the difficulty? I still find COM in M3 easier than COM in M2.

Thank you, I'm thinking about doing M2 as well. It was an interesting way to begin my weekend.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aymanzayedmannan)
    This was completely my situation! I think it's because the Edexcel book has some crazy problems and is inconsistent with the difficulty? I still find COM in M3 easier than COM in M2.

Thank you, I'm thinking about doing M2 as well. It was an interesting way to begin my weekend.
    Yeah for sure lol - or at least learning it. Because there are just formulae which make sense in M3.

Haha go for it xD

ReputationRep:
    So am I the only one finding chapter 2 questions difficult? Also, the books questions are crazy hard ! Are the exams of the same degree of difficulty?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    How are your GCSEs going so far?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.