Edexcel M3 - What is the hardest chapter? Watch

Resonxnce
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
So I'm currently studying A2 Maths, Physics and Further Maths, continuing onto M3 for my A2 Further Maths. However, I'm finding it very difficult at the moment. FP2 & M2 have been relatively easy. I'm struggling on elastic strings. I was just wondering, does it get harder than this? The questions they ask in the book are very hard and the thing is, the examples they give are so simple and don't properly prepare you for the questions. I got an ABB last year, the A being in Maths. Are exam questions easier than the book questions?

Any help would be great ! Thank you.
TeeEm
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
problems involving strings, forces and SHM together
Resonxnce
Rep:
?
(Original post by TeeEm)
problems involving strings, forces and SHM together
So what would you say is harder, Chapter 2 (Elastic Strings) or Chapter 3 (SHM)?
TeeEm
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Resonxnce)
So what would you say is harder, Chapter 2 (Elastic Strings) or Chapter 3 (SHM)?
The chapter which have dynamics problems involving SHM
Student403
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
3 - SHM specifically - the rest of 3 is fine
Louisb19
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Circular motion!
Ayman!
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Resonxnce)
So I'm currently studying A2 Maths, Physics and Further Maths, continuing onto M3 for my A2 Further Maths. However, I'm finding it very difficult at the moment. FP2 & M2 have been relatively easy. I'm struggling on elastic strings. I was just wondering, does it get harder than this? The questions they ask in the book are very hard and the thing is, the examples they give are so simple and don't properly prepare you for the questions. I got an ABB last year, the A being in Maths. Are exam questions easier than the book questions?

Any help would be great ! Thank you.

SHM, but it gets easier with practice. The rest of it is straightforward. You might want to practice COM from first principles as well.

(Original post by Louisb19)
Circular motion!
Circular motion isn't usually too bad, it's just conservation of energy and resolving most of the time!
Student403
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by aymanzayedmannan)
SHM, but it gets easier with practice. The rest of it is straightforward. You might want to practice COM from first principles as well.

Circular motion isn't usually too bad, it's just conservation of energy and resolving most of the time!
Totally agree ^

Tbh I found M3 insanely difficult to self teach (maybe because it was the first non-trivial module I self taught) but when I started doing past papers it was nowhere near as hard as I found it at first

PS nice one with the S1 model answers - saw p&mtutor tweet about it :3
Louisb19
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Not sure why everyone finds the purple chapter hard.

Only part I found difficult from that chapter was remembering that

G = \dfrac{gR^2}{M}

F = \dfrac{gR^2m}{r^2}

I still find mechanics harder that pure though.
Ayman!
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Student403)
Totally agree ^

Tbh I found M3 insanely difficult to self teach (maybe because it was the first non-trivial module I self taught) but when I started doing past papers it was nowhere near as hard as I found it at first

PS nice one with the S1 model answers - saw p&mtutor tweet about it :3

This was completely my situation! I think it's because the Edexcel book has some crazy problems and is inconsistent with the difficulty? I still find COM in M3 easier than COM in M2.

Thank you, I'm thinking about doing M2 as well. It was an interesting way to begin my weekend.
Student403
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by aymanzayedmannan)
This was completely my situation! I think it's because the Edexcel book has some crazy problems and is inconsistent with the difficulty? I still find COM in M3 easier than COM in M2.

Thank you, I'm thinking about doing M2 as well. It was an interesting way to begin my weekend.
Yeah for sure lol - or at least learning it. Because there are just formulae which make sense in M3.

Haha go for it xD
Resonxnce
Rep:
?
So am I the only one finding chapter 2 questions difficult? Also, the books questions are crazy hard ! Are the exams of the same degree of difficulty?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Birmingham
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19
  • King's College London
    Postgraduate Taught Courses - Arts & Sciences - Strand Campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19
  • University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (34)
14.23%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (21)
8.79%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (50)
20.92%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (34)
14.23%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (29)
12.13%
How can I be the best version of myself? (71)
29.71%

Watched Threads