Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

So how did you get a girlfriend/boyfriend ? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    That's coming from a somewhat socially awkward fresher...that also never had a girlfriend, yay.

It's not that I'm particulary shy, I can talk to people about everything, both genders really. I have a group of friends and I have no problems talking to strangers. Even public speaking is okay with me. I I'm not sure but I think I'm average-looking.
    It's the lack of experience that gets me, I think. THE MOMENT I think of a conversation in this context of a guy hitting on a girl I can't really handle the anxiety. It doesn't help that I never had a date in my life. Oh wait, I had one...even managed to be calm and have fun, but it turned out I was the only side that saw it as a date rather than a friendly hangout, so you can imagine that ended badly.

My friends tend to be just as bad in dating as I am so they are of zero help... They're either single or got a girlfriend/boyfriend by luck - that is they never went through "dating" it was just one person saying to the other "hey I like you" which would be hell of a lot easier ! Lucky *******s. Oh and if I liked a girl I wouldn't really hesitate to tell her if there was a girl like that (there isn't), but the dating process, that feels like hell, mostly because I have no idea how it works.

See I can talk to girls IF I assume they are shy/awkward, because then I just don't get as nervous. If I think they're "competent" in the whole relationship thing then God help me because I just go into panic mode, even though I know there are like zero consequences for being rejected it still feels bad, I still feel like I'd embarass myself, and it feels like I can't say a thing properly.

How do you people find people you want to ask out ? Is it just based on looks or something more ? Is it normal that I only find maybe 1 in 6 girls attractive or am I too picky (it's not that I only go for model girls, but some just look better to me) ? So assuming there's a girl I think looks good and based on the minimal amount of information I know about her, might be a good girlfriend material, is it okay if I just approach her, have a chat and then invite her out for a coffee or a film ? Obviously I need to somehow get to know her better and I don't know her at all.
    How do I not make a fool out of myself but make it obvious I have a date in mind ? I can't even tell for sure if she has a boyfriend or not.
    I just can't picture myself doing that. I hate dating. Why whould she agree anyway ? The thing is I look average, so why would she agree - yeah I can be funny and people like to talk to me in general, but how do I show it to her in 30 seconds worth of a conversation ?
    And well I never had a proper date in my life.

This is hell. I wish I had an older sibling or something to ask. But hey, I have the Internet, it's the next best thing.
    Bless the anonymity of the internet. I'd ask my friends but like I said - they're useless...either single or found someone by lack, without effort.

Oh yeah someone will probably ask me why I want a girlfriend so badly. That it should "just happen".
    Isn't loneliness a reason good enough ? Maybe it's not normal when you're only 18. I dunno - let me know guys.

ReputationRep:
    I buy them , 2 for 1 sale atm

ReputationRep:
    In an answer to your thread title , a girl from my school started talking to me on Facebook and we went out a few times. Then I asked her the question and she said yes :sexface:.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    ihatePE look how many followers I have :mmm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TSR Mustafa)
    I buy them , 2 for 1 sale atm
    Sounds like Japanese waifu robots becoming reality, Lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mayhem™)
    In an answer to your thread title , a girl from my school started talking to me on Facebook and we went out a few times. Then I asked her the question and she said yes :sexface:.
    Lol you make it sound so easy. You're one of the lucky ones. Like all my friends. It all happened to them like that :/ just someone they knew as a friend before...or someone talking through them on Facebook randomly...

Maybe I'm just ugly I don't know xD but I even see ugly people with girlfriends so there's something wrong here Lol.

Can I ask what you were doing when you were out ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArcHunter)
    Lol you make it sound so easy. You're one of the lucky ones. Like all my friends. It all happened to them like that :/ just someone they knew as a friend before...or someone talking through them on Facebook randomly...

Maybe I'm just ugly I don't know xD but I even see ugly people with girlfriends so there's something wrong here Lol.

Can I ask what you were doing when you were out ?
    I never message people first so I've kind of become adapted to people doing it instead :lol:

it was to the cinema or a meal somewhere most of the time (granted that we only went out on something costly every fortnight or so)
    except that it was just a walk, usually around her estate or the woods 15 minutes away :holmes:

don't worry, you'll find someone
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    ihatePE look how many followers I have :mmm:
    combine our numbers and we're illuminati

ReputationRep:
    I met her right here, on TSR, funnily enough.

ReputationRep:
    I never message people first so I've kind of become adapted to people doing it instead :lol:

it was to the cinema or a meal somewhere most of the time (granted that we only went out on something costly every fortnight or so)
    except that it was just a walk, usually around her estate or the woods 15 minutes away :holmes:

don't worry, you'll find someone
    The way you're describing it it seems I have no clue about dating. It seems NOBODY does dating. I can't think of a single person that asked out another person that I know. Seriously. They all just kind of happen to be togheter. It's like all them used cheat codes or maybe dating does not happen unless you're 30+ and desperate. Maybe I should chill and wait.
    But I'm here for 5 months now...

ReputationRep:
    I met my boyfriend on the first day of sixth form. The attraction was immediate, and 2 weeks later, we became an official couple. That was almost 5 months ago now! We're so happy! Find a girl you think is pretty to you, and try and find something in common with her to talk about. Social media makes these things much easier, you can pop up to a girl or look into her interests on things like Facebook. Just try speaking to them, the worst that could happen is that you gain a friend!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Guy123)
    I met her right here, on TSR.
    In kind of a weird way actually, but if you want to know how, look at this thread:
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=3705137
    Enjoy (not really )!
    See nobody ever goes through dating. Does dating even exist ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NiamhGibson)
    I met my boyfriend on the first day of sixth form. The attraction was immediate, and 2 weeks later, we became an official couple. That was almost 5 months ago now! We're so happy! Find a girl you think is pretty to you, and try and find something in common with her to talk about. Social media makes these things much easier, you can pop up to a girl or look into her interests on things like Facebook. Just try speaking to them, the worst that could happen is that you gain a friend!
    Speaking about what...I don't know anything about her but the course she's on. I'm on a different one. It's weird, but her Facebook is...well empty. Maybe because she's not on my friends list and has everything set to private.

Jeez that's why I like awkward girls. Because I can be as awkward as I want. There's just this issue that I don't know any that I also find attractive xD

ReputationRep:
    They way you all make it sound is I should just do nothing and wait. But it's been 5 months here. I try to go out as much as possible and I have a lot of awesome friends, point for me. Which also ALL happen to be awkward about these things and are either single or found someone just like that - just like my friends back at home...
    so should I just...do nothing ? Is it a bad idea if I start talking to a girl an immediately ask her out ? But if I don't then how do I get to know her -__-
    Can I get an answer from someone who knows how it works because wasn't good-looking / lucky enough for it to just happen please ?

ReputationRep:
    TSR

ReputationRep:
    I was sad one night and asked him for a hug and to watch a movie with me. 15 months later he's still here.

ReputationRep:
    They way you all make it sound is I should just do nothing and wait. But it's been 5 months here. I try to go out as much as possible and I have a lot of awesome friends, point for me. Which also ALL happen to be awkward about these things and are either single or found someone just like that - just like my friends back at home...
    so should I just...do nothing ? Is it a bad idea if I start talking to a girl an immediately ask her out ? But if I don't then how do I get to know her -__-
    Can I get an answer from someone who knows how it works because wasn't good-looking / lucky enough for it to just happen please ?
    You're problem is you're overthinking everything. It does not have to be this complicated. If you like a girl ask her out, you can get to know her on dates. It's really not that hard, you're making it harder than it needs to be.

ReputationRep:
    Tinder 😋
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    When, or if I ever get a girlfriend I will let you all know.

ReputationRep:
    See nobody ever goes through dating. Does dating even exist ?
    Probably not anymore.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 30, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.