Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Ok so I've e-mailed at least 5 of these large animal hospitals and all the ones that have replied have said that they can't offer anything I don't really know who else to contact, would I be likely to get a different answer if I called them up instead? I'm just worried that it's gonna reduce my options as I won't be able to apply/ complete all criteria for some unis like Liverpool. So any tips much appreciated thanks
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Hi there, sorry to hear that you haven't had any luck yet. I can only recommend persistence; I emailed about 20 large animal places before I found one that would take me I think! If you can't find one nearby, look into travelling further afield and staying away. Some practices have locum flats that you may be able to use if you're lucky, if not, look for the cheapest B&B or whatever nearby.

I doubt that a call alone will help at all, but you may get somewhere if you follow up emails with a call.

ReputationRep:
    As LTC has said make sure you persevere, but don't worry if you can't get in with an LA vets, I never did but am currently holding a conditional offer for 2016/17. They understand its harder to get experience with a large animal vet, what really made my application was a lot of ongoing dairy work and plenty of lambing, I only had a couple of weeks lambing but I'm from a sheep/beef farm, on top of the standard SA vets and equine etc.
    Trying to get in to an abattoir may just be a repeat of the LA vet struggle but certainly will help and I would recommend doing it
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    I really struggled to get a large animal vet too. In the end I got 1 day with a farm vet and 1 week at an equine hospital (I'm now a final year vet student).

I had to stay with a family friend to get to my equine placement so I think you do need to look further from home; this is what other people will have had to do too. I would get dropped off at the equine clinic at 6am (they opened at 9am) and I would stand outside in the rain/cold in the middle of winter every morning waiting for a vet to arrive. So yes, it is possible, but contacting 5 places isn;t very many in the grand scheme of things. You have a lot more options open for you if you look further afield.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.