Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Swiss government proposes paying everyone £1,700 a month whether they work or not in Watch

ReputationRep:
    Great idea, the UK should do this too

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-want-job.html

ReputationRep:
    I agree.

This is the way forward.

In b4 the selfish right wingers 'but that will make the poor less poor and we cant be having that'.

ReputationRep:
    It is a good idea.

As technology advances it will become a thing to pay everyone a basic income.

ReputationRep:
    Shite idea

(Original post by _icecream)
    Great idea, the UK should do this too

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-want-job.html
    Agreed, although the amount would probably have to be reduced, given the significant difference in population size.

And yes, the term 'selfish right-winger' has been used to describe me.

ReputationRep:
    I would take that not my fault I'm unemployed

ReputationRep:
    Waits for the horde of right wingers.

ReputationRep:
    Sounds good so long as adjustments can be made for exceptional circumstances.

ReputationRep:
    Great way to bankrupt a country.

ReputationRep:
    It's not backed by the Swiss government, it's a popular referendum that will probably be rejected.

Because money doesn't grow in the trees.

I would however support a similar system, at the condition to scrap the welfare state - all of it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Josb)
    It's not backed by the Swiss government, it's a popular referendum that will probably be rejected.

I would however support a similar system, at the condition to scrap the welfare state - all of it.
    But this country willingly paid billions of pounds to bail out failing banks...

Much of the underlying problems with the economy are due to high levels of personal debt which makes people more likely to default on their loans, rather than giving it to banks to lend which exacerbates the problem.

ReputationRep:
    What could possibly go wrong?

Also, does everyone but literal communists now count as radical right wingers?

(Original post by edgydave1)
    I agree.This is the way forward.In b4 the selfish right wingers 'but that will make the poor less poor and we cant be having that'.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    I agree.

This is the way forward.

In b4 the selfish right wingers 'but that will make the poor less poor and we cant be having that'.
    The main complaint about a basic income is that it is usually proposed instead of government benefits, it would replace all benefits. This would leave many people off as poorer.

Still interesting idea.

ReputationRep:
    I agree.

This is the way forward.

Are you actually being serious?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by **** Diamonds)
    It is a good idea.

As technology advances it will become a thing to pay everyone a basic income.
    No. People should work for their income. Technology isn't going to get rid of every job, is it? We still need people to handle the technology and for other jobs.

ReputationRep:
    ...****ing why? this flies in the face of meritocracy and deservedness if you're going to pay people *not* to work.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Josb)

Except when ti does. QE.

It can be moved around though ¬.¬ It's good for the capitalists as well.

(Original post by sleepysnooze)
    ...****ing why? this flies in the face of meritocracy and deservedness if you're going to pay people *not* to work.
    Some version of basic income, often it s negative income tax, is generally supported by free market ideologues.

http://www.adamsmith.org/blog/welfar...-basic-income/

(Original post by hoping4Astars)
    No. People should work for their income. Technology isn't going to get rid of every job, is it? We still need people to handle the technology and for other jobs.

ReputationRep:
    How many will even want to work if they get that?

ReputationRep:
    Basic income can make some sense or not, depending on how quickly it is withdrawn with earned income and whether it stacks with other benefits.

If it is withdrawn such that, for instance, you lose 50p of minimum income for each pound you earn, it's not necessarily that much disincentive to work. Some still, but not necessarily a big problem, as working people are always substantially better off. The idea generally is to replace all other benefits which in principle results in a much simpler, perhaps even cheaper welfare system which guarantees everyone a good standard of living.

In practice, often doesn't work so well. A lot of people who consume welfare consume a lot of welfare; if you want the basic income to be liveable for them then it has to be quite large and that not only makes the system extremely expensive but makes it seem unfair. It is very difficult in reality for the public to support paying Joe Bloggs 20k/year to sit around playing xbox all day because he's happy living like that, while John Smith who is a severely disabled single father of four struggles to pay for food and rent on exactly the same income.

When you start making exceptions depending on need a large basic income is no longer affordable and what you are left with is basically the Universal Credit.

The Swiss proposed basic income is clearly far too large. They would have to withdraw it so quickly that working pays almost nothing and I do not see how there could be much money left over for additional means tested benefits. It would destroy their labour market as it would no longer be possible to incentivise people to do boring or difficult jobs while making the minority of genuine needy worse off than they are now.

Basic incomes work economically if they are small but in that case they can't replace other benefits which means they don't work politically.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hoping4Astars)
    Why should people work for their income?

With modern technology a factory can produce what in the past would have taken thousands of man hours over many months in a single day. This idea that work equals wealth is wrong and eventually technology will replace humans in everything. It's not just unskilled physical labour which will be replaced, even now accountancy work is currently being automated and we have Google developing cars which don't need drivers. Jobs in mathematics and computer science (as well as sports and entertainment) will be among the last to go, but eventually there will simply be no work to do and to have humans employed, will slow the entire process.

It's not even that much of a radical notion, we have people who receive unearned income from investments such as shares or property.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 30, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.