Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do you think black people bleaching is the equivalent of white people tanning? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Do you think black people bleaching is the equivalent of white people tanning? I wanted to hear your thoughts...

ReputationRep:
    No. White people don't tan in order to look more like the African diaspora.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bijoux1801)
    Do you think black people bleaching is the equivalent of white people tanning? I wanted to hear your thoughts...
    lol no.

Black people bleach their skin because society makes them think they're inferior because they're black.

Pretty ignorant thing for you to ask.

ReputationRep:
    And I guess bleaching is more permanent and has more risks than tanning...?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    no. while I'm not black I understand that most dark skinned people bleach because society makes them feel insecure about their skin tone. I doubt white people have as much pressure to make themselves look tanner.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ronda Rousey)
    lol no.

Black people bleach their skin because society makes them like they're inferior because they're black.

Lol sorry then

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheThiefOfBagdad)
    No. White people don't tan in order to look more like the African diaspora.
    Black people don't bleach to look more like white people...

ReputationRep:
    Yes it's exactly the same. Both do it to alter their skin colour in some way

ReputationRep:
    lol no.

Black people bleach their skin because society makes them like they're inferior because they're black.

Doesn't have to be linked to society. Some people just want to have a lighter complexion, the same way white people tan for a darker complexion.

Doesn't have to be about feeling inferior to white people.

Bit ignorant for you to say.

well white people tan naturally in the sun anyway and black people don't naturally bleach they also get darker in the sun so I don't think its the same and skin bleaching seems to be made more popular by the light skin/dark skin hate/divide between black people

ReputationRep:
    No.

(Original post by Anonymous)
    well white people tan naturally in the sun anyway and black people don't naturally bleach
    That applies to some kinds of tans (e.g. holiday tans) but not to fake tans or tanning on sun beds and whatnot -- those are undertaken for the sole purpose of getting a darker complexion.

they also get darker in the sun
    It depends entirely on the individual and how dark they usually are. Much like some white people 'burn' while other white people are able to tan, there is variation among coloured people as well.

skin bleaching seems to be made more popular by the light skin/dark skin hate/divide between black people
    That's a fair point, but not all attempts at lightening one's skin are motivated by that. There are plenty of cases where it's done to achieve a more uniform complexion.

(Original post by Hydeman)
    That applies to some kinds of tans (e.g. holiday tans) but not to fake tans or tanning on sun beds and whatnot -- those are undertaken for the sole purpose of getting a darker complexion.

It depends entirely on the individual and how dark they usually are. Much like some white people 'burn' while other white people are able to tan, there is variation among coloured people as well.

That's a fair point, but not all attempts at lightening one's skin are motivated by that. There are plenty of cases where it's done to achieve a more uniform complexion.
    your points are true but my main point is that tanning and getting darker as a result is a natural occurrence in all races but because its damaging some opt for a fake version of what they would get naturally anyway as tanning is associated with wealth and holidays. bleaching however can never naturally occur at best you can stay out of the sun and try to prevent your skin becoming darker

ReputationRep:
    lol no.

And so do white people tan because society says pale skin is ugly?

ReputationRep:
    I think it is the same thing, just bleaching is permanent, tanning is not. Both are manipulating their skin tone and are unhappy with it.

ReputationRep:
    They are not equivalent. Bleach is a corrosive substance, and should not be regularly applied to skin. Tanning (fake tan) can be completely harmless, and there is no harmless equivalent in Bleach.

ReputationRep:
    Not in the slightest. There should be a poll.

(Original post by Anonymous)
    bleaching however can never naturally occur
    It does occur naturally as a symptom of some diseases (e.g. Vitiligo).

Anyway, whether it's a natural process or not is pretty irrelevant; we're discussing whether it's comparable to tanning and, as far as intentions are concerned, in some cases it is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JPO92)
    They are not equivalent. Bleach is a corrosive substance, and should not be regularly applied to skin. Tanning (fake tan) can be completely harmless, and there is no harmless equivalent in Bleach.
    Fake tanning can be harmful and cause cancer.
    Even if it is sunbathing you can still get cancer from it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loveleest)
    Fake tanning can be harmful and cause cancer.
    Even if it is sunbathing you can still get cancer from it.
    I recognise that fake tanning can do that, but the effects compared to bleach just don't balance out. Prolonged exposure to bleach can cause tissue damage, chemical burns, a decline in melanin production, and therefore more exposure to sun damage.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.