Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What do you think should happen to a mentally ill person who beats a child to death? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I was reading a case were a mentally ill man thought there was demon inside his child so he beat them to death.

If you had the choice would you send this man to hell if there was one in the afterlife? Bare in mind this person was severely mentally ill and from their point of view they were dealing with a demon.

A lot of people in the comment section were saying how they were happy that the british justice system wasn't dealing with this man as he would only be sent to a mental hospital and not sent to a brutal prison where he will be tortured (This happened in a country with the harshest prisons in the world).

So how would you deal with this child killer knowing the context?

ReputationRep:
    Can't they be taken to a psychiatric unit?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Prison isn't going to help them. They need medical help.

ReputationRep:
    They should be helped as much as they can be. However also detained in a secure unit where they are unable to harm others.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by edgydave1)
    I was reading a case were a mentally ill man thought there was demon inside his child so he beat them to death.

If you had the choice would you send this man to hell if there was one in the afterlife? Bare in mind this person was severely mentally ill and from their point of view they were dealing with a demon.

A lot of people in the comment section were saying how they were happy that the british justice system wasn't dealing with this man as he would only be sent to a mental hospital and not sent to a brutal prison where he will be tortured (This happened in a country with the harshest prisons in the world).

So how would you deal with this child killer knowing the context?
    No, no hell for him, if he didn't know what he was doing.
    I'd lock up him up in a psych centre for life, though.

ReputationRep:
    They should face a walk to the gallows, just like a sane person should.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Daniellaaa)
    Can't they be taken to a psychiatric unit?
    In some countries they just get sent straight to prison or the death penalty.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tiger Rag)
    Prison isn't going to help them. They need medical help.
    So this person ever be allowed back into society again if doctors say he is well enough?

ReputationRep:
    Locked up in a psych ward i guess , is he accountable for his actions , no. But since he is a threat to the public , aforementioned needs to be done.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wellzi)
    They should face a walk to the gallows, just like a sane person should.
    You believe an eye for an eye no matter what the context?

ReputationRep:
    You believe an eye for an eye no matter what the context?
    No. I just don't think it's worth attempting to fix someone who will never be fixed. And in cases such as this, I believe capital punishment to be justice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hannahamy74)
    They should be helped as much as they can be. However also detained in a secure unit where they are unable to harm others.
    But he still brutally killed a child no matter what was going on in his mind.

ReputationRep:
    No. I just don't think it's worth attempting to fix someone who will never be fixed. And in cases such as this, I believe capital punishment to be justice.
    How do you know they will never be fixed?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    So this person ever be allowed back into society again if doctors say he is well enough?
    I think so. It's not a decision they make lightly.

I think sending them to prison is just going to make things worse for him. And what's it going to achieve, exactly? Ok, we can't just leave them alone and they do need some form of help. But prison isn't the place to get the help they need.

ReputationRep:
    How do you know they will never be fixed?
    People who are so deranged as to commit unspeakable acts such as the man you mentioned are very rarely fixed, and instead sit in Broadmoor, doped out of their minds and we have to pay for them to continue living. I see them as a waste of precious resources.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    People who are so deranged as to commit unspeakable acts such as the man you mentioned are very rarely fixed, and instead sit in Broadmoor, doped out of their minds and we have to pay for them to continue living. I see them as a waste of precious resources.
    Even if they were a relative of yours?

ReputationRep:
    You killing him to put him out of his misery of you killing out of spite?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tiger Rag)
    Even if they were a relative of yours?
    Not only is that irrelevant, as the emotions of the offender or their relatives should never be considered, but I would retain the same view. (probably, no one can imagine the situation)

ReputationRep:
    You killing him to put him out of his misery of you killing out of spite?
    Killing him because it's the correct way to punish an unfixable, deranged child murderer

ReputationRep:
    These people literally don't think the same as us, for some it can be quite hard. That's why we should help and teach them. They could be unaware of their actions, the consequences of their actions or unable to justify the consequences.

Gandhi once said an eye for an eye will make the whole world blind.

The key thing here is intent, if you are mentally unstable you may have bad intent or none at all. It is the reason behind it, if you cant understand the emotions of others how can you understand consequences.Why did they kill the child? If you were a sane person you must have had to have bad intent.

I once met a psychiatrist who told me a story of a patient she had that day (without breaking confidentiality or anything). It was about a young autistic man in his early twenties who suffered from depression. She was called to give him a psychiatric evaluation after he was picked up in an airport with no passport. This man preceeded to say that he was going to syria to join isis. This sounds awful but then he was asked why, and he replied that he needed to be pardoned by the British government. He was going to go as a spy. When asked why he said that he was being punished for sexually assualting women ( which he had never done, had been in care so almost impossible). When asked how he was being punished he told the psychiatrist that the British government were slowly cutting off his genitals (he was in care so again sorta impossible.
    So you see it really does make a difference. The child could have been killed for a number of reasons but only a mentally sound person can understand the true effect, and therefore makes that choice maliciously.

The problem is lack of awareness about mental problems no matter how small. Even with the severe mental disorders we hear about, we really have little concept of what it is really like because more often than not you wont find these people everday in society because they are already in care.

But he still brutally killed a child no matter what was going on in his mind.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.