The Student Room Group

High School Grades in Poland will worse it all?

Hi guys!
Before I'll proceed to my question I need to explain to you how does the 3rd level education in Poland look like (very briefly, obviously :wink: )
So, there are 3 years of High School - the first one is very general, we take up between 17 and 18 subjects including bio, chemistry, physics, IT, languages, history, maths, etc. We DO NOT choose them, they are required. I have to admit that this is the worst and the most difficult year for everyone, because it's hard to cope with subjects you were not made to understand. After this tiring year, we finally can choose between 2-4 advanced level subjects and 3 standard level subjects.
And now as you understand how does it look like I can finally ask my question - I just got to know that after graduation all the subjects we took (all 18!) will be listed on the diploma with the grades we have achieved... I am going to apply for International Relations & Politics, my grades at all of my advanced level subject are clearly perfect but the thing is that during the first year I achieved 2 (equivalent to D) in chemistry. I am really afraid that even though chemistry has nothing to do with the course I'm going to take I will be rejected :frown:
Do you know whether Cambridge cares about one particular subject taken while ago that has nothing to do with current advanced subjects? Will it worsen my application?

HUUUUGE thank you to everyone who read it all <3
Original post by brokenbones
Hi guys!
Before I'll proceed to my question I need to explain to you how does the 3rd level education in Poland look like (very briefly, obviously :wink: )
So, there are 3 years of High School - the first one is very general, we take up between 17 and 18 subjects including bio, chemistry, physics, IT, languages, history, maths, etc. We DO NOT choose them, they are required. I have to admit that this is the worst and the most difficult year for everyone, because it's hard to cope with subjects you were not made to understand. After this tiring year, we finally can choose between 2-4 advanced level subjects and 3 standard level subjects.
And now as you understand how does it look like I can finally ask my question - I just got to know that after graduation all the subjects we took (all 18!) will be listed on the diploma with the grades we have achieved... I am going to apply for International Relations & Politics, my grades at all of my advanced level subject are clearly perfect but the thing is that during the first year I achieved 2 (equivalent to D) in chemistry. I am really afraid that even though chemistry has nothing to do with the course I'm going to take I will be rejected :frown:
Do you know whether Cambridge cares about one particular subject taken while ago that has nothing to do with current advanced subjects? Will it worsen my application?

For UK applicants, doing badly on a small number of unrelated GCSE's (where most people study 8-12 subjects) doesn't harm your application much. That said, not many successful UK applicants will have any D's at GCSE's even in their worse subjects. If that grade is your only poor one, and all your others are the equivalents of A*'s and A's, I wouldn't worry. However, if you also have quite a few equivalents of C's, that might be concerning. Also, if 18 subjects is more than most people take, they will care even less about the chemistry grade.
Reply 2
Hi guys!

Judging by your question a lack of fluency and grammatical accuracy in your English is likely to be a bigger barrier than one low grade from a while ago. Cambridge do care about this. I would suggest you work as hard as possible on this and then your grade in itself may not limit you. I admit my Polish is absolute rubbish but then I wouldn't attempt to go to University in Poland!
The admissions tutors try very hard to understand the workings of the local school system. They look at the whole individual, the entire application, not for perfection but for the people they think will fit.

My daughter was in a French state school (a Lycee) and her grades were not perfect, indeed when she applied she had taken the first bac exams and had not done all that well (almost all humanities courses). We worried it would doom her application, in particular because all the science and math (her true strengths) were in the next year. She applied nonetheless, and on the strength of her experience and essays, she got an interview. After angst that she blew her interviews, she got an offer, but with very strict conditional requirements, which she was able to achieve because of the nature of her academic strengths in the final portion of her bac.

The entire process was a growth experience for her. I say, go for it and don't sweat the details too much.
Reply 4
Original post by Colmans
Judging by your question a lack of fluency and grammatical accuracy in your English is likely to be a bigger barrier than one low grade from a while ago. Cambridge do care about this. I would suggest you work as hard as possible on this and then your grade in itself may not limit you. I admit my Polish is absolute rubbish but then I wouldn't attempt to go to University in Poland!

Sorry, but your opinion is wrong. You've never seen me speaking, you've never read my essays, so your judgment is only based on some sentences. And even if you can judge my grammar, how do you know ANYTHING about my fluency? Just how, please, explain it to me, I'm curious.
Sorry, but your opinion is wrong. You've never seen me speaking, you've never read my essays, so your judgment is only based on some sentences. And even if you can judge my grammar, how do you know ANYTHING about my fluency? Just how, please, explain it to me, I'm curious.

I'm not Colmans, but I'm guessing it's the way you phrase certain things and some mistakes (eg using "while" rather than awhile). For instance, I'm not actually sure what you mean by "you were not made to understand"; I think you mean something along the lines of it's difficult to do well in so many subjects, especially given that these might not be subjects that you are necessarily talented in? The title of "worse it all" also doesn't really make sense.

Part and parcel of language fluency is having good grammar. This is especially important since you wish to study an arts subject (International Relations & Politics). All your formal assessments and weekly work will be in the form of essays, and being able to convey your thoughts in a precise and grammatically correct manner is essential. Oral fluency is undoubtedly important for tutorials, but so too is your competency in written English.
Hi guys!

Hi,

it is really unclear for me, whether you are speaking of gimnazjum or liceum diploma. Have you finished your last year of liceum already? Ignore these guys above, I am polish myself and I hold an offer for Physical NatSci at Christ's. I have met a lot of other applicants while I have been in Cambridge for my interviews, and your English is just fine.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by ArrogantJM
Hi,

it is really unclear for me, whether you are speaking of gimnazjum or liceum diploma. Have you finished your last year of liceum already? Ignore these guys above, I am polish myself and I hold an offer for Physical NatSci at Christ's. I have met a lot of other applicants while I have been in Cambridge for my interviews, and your English is just fine.

It interests me that a Pole who chooses the user name Arrogant thinks they are in a better position to judge somebody's English that a native speaking Cambridge Economics graduate.
The advice I gave was "your English is likely to be a bigger barrier than one low grade from a while ago. Cambridge do care about this. I would suggest you work as hard as possible on this and then your grade in itself may not limit you".
I stand by this advice and I think you should note that he is applying for an essay based subject not NatSci. He is of course at liberty to dismiss my advice, as indeed he did.
Original post by Colmans
It interests me that a Pole who chooses the user name Arrogant thinks they are in a better position to judge somebody's English that a native speaking Cambridge Economics graduate.
The advice I gave was "your English is likely to be a bigger barrier than one low grade from a while ago. Cambridge do care about this. I would suggest you work as hard as possible on this and then your grade in itself may not limit you".
I stand by this advice and I think you should note that he is applying for an essay based subject not NatSci. He is of course at liberty to dismiss my advice, as indeed he did.

Hmm, I really do not see the reason why you are still here taking in account your advice was unwanted by the thread starter as well as my post was not aimed at you whatsoever... :smile:. I agree with the point you make in the second half of your post, however you have started it off from a really bad perspective - I have never said that I am in a better position to judge somebody's English than you. I just know that posts like yours tend to discourage people, which is exactly what I have tried to prevent.
Reply 9
Hmm, I really do not see the reason why you are still here taking in account your advice was unwanted by the thread starter as well as my post was not aimed at you whatsoever... :smile:. I agree with the point you make in the second half of your post, however you have started it off from a really bad perspective - I have never said that I am in a better position to judge somebody's English than you. I just know that posts like yours tend to discourage people, which is exactly what I have tried to prevent.

@Colmans is one of the most experienced and helpful Cambridge TSRians. The OP would do well to pay attention to his comments.
(edited 8 years ago)

My post is designed to encourage the OP to work on their English and not worry too much about an isolated low grade. On the whole I find accurate advice is more valuable for getting an offer than misplaced encouragement.
Hi guys!

Hi :smile:

I suppose you will be applying for 2017 entry and you are now in second grade. Of course I received an offer for Engineering but I think that same rules apply here.

First thing is that you are required to provide transcript from 1st and 2nd grade of High School ("Świadectwo") and if you have good results you "Egzamin Gimnazjalny" results and last transcript from Junior High. I don't even know if Cambridge will look at my High School leaving certificate since my offer is based only on Matura results.

I am in really challenging school so my grades were mediocre. Aside from Physics and English (6), my grades were are not better than 4. And I got 2 from Geography. I think they only look at subjects important for your course.

The most important part of your application is your Personal Statement and Reference Letter. Of course predictions are important but I think you will achieve average of 90% from all subjects on Matura.

So yeah. I don't think bad grades from irrelevant subjects will ruin your application. But be kind to people who just want to help you here. And you really need to work on your essay writing skills since in almost every college there is a pre-interview written work for you to do for Arts subjects.

Feel free to ask more questions :smile:
Original post by HUNTER297

I am in really challenging school so my grades were mediocre. Aside from Physics and English (6), my grades were are not better than 4. And I got 2 from Geography. I think they only look at subjects important for your course.

The most important part of your application is your Personal Statement and Reference Letter. Of course predictions are important but I think you will achieve average of 90% from all subjects on Matura.

Do you have any evidence for your assumption? Have you had a chance to asked your DoS about your application?
I'm not too sure if your advice applies to all applicants (polish or not) because afaik every application is looked at and assesses individually and holistically without any fixed weighting on any aspect of application. And I can't believe PS and reference would always play a bigger rule than othe aspects of your application, especially your grades and interview.

If that was the case in your situation, it might be because of your particular situation (the 'challenging school' you went) because your PS & reference could give admission people necessary Info about your background and explained your less than stellar academic records in earlier days? It certainly would have enabled them to assess you fairly against other candidates who had come from more advantages background than you.

I really don't think it'd be very appropriate to suggest that PS & reference are the most important parts of the application for everyone because we know it's not the case for many applicants.
Original post by vincrows
Do you have any evidence for your assumption? Have you had a chance to asked your DoS about your application?
I'm not too sure if your advice applies to all applicants (polish or not) because afaik every application is looked at and assesses individually and holistically without any fixed weighting on any aspect of application. And I can't believe PS and reference would always play a bigger rule than othe aspects of your application, especially your grades and interview.

If that was the case in your situation, it might be because of your particular situation (the 'challenging school' you went) because your PS & reference could give admission people necessary Info about your background and explained your less than stellar academic records in earlier days? It certainly would have enabled them to assess you fairly against other candidates who had come from more advantages background than you.

I really don't think it'd be very appropriate to suggest that PS & reference are the most important parts of the application for everyone because we know it's not the case for many applicants.

I didn't mean that they are the only important parts. Maybe it is because of my school but over 10 people received offers from Oxbridge this year and everyone of them had bad or mediocre grades from subjects irrelevant to their course. Maybe they don't consider grades that important for applicants from Poland. And of course interview is really important.

I am just anserwing the question posed in this thread. That having bad grades does not destroy your dreams of studying at Cambridge.
I didn't mean that they are the only important parts. Maybe it is because of my school but over 10 people received offers from Oxbridge this year and everyone of them had bad or mediocre grades from subjects irrelevant to their course. Maybe they don't consider grades that important for applicants from Poland. And of course interview is really important.

I am just anserwing the question posed in this thread. That having bad grades does not destroy your dreams of studying at Cambridge.

I didn't say you said that's the only important part. You said it's the most important part and that's what I'm disputing, because it's rather misleading especially people who are not familiar with Cambridge application. There're too many misconception about Cambridge application and we do not want to create another one in TSR. :wink:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by vincrows
I didn't say you said that's the only important part. You said it's the most important part and that's what I'm disputing, because it's rather misleading especially people who are not familiar with Cambridge application. There're too many misconception about Cambridge application and we do not want to create another one in TSR. :wink:

Ah all right. Bad choice of words then. Sorry for that :wink: Cheers mate :smile:
Reply 16

I suppose you will be applying for 2017 entry and you are now in second grade. Of course I received an offer for Engineering but I think that same rules apply here.

First thing is that you are required to provide transcript from 1st and 2nd grade of High School ("Świadectwo":wink: and if you have good results you "Egzamin Gimnazjalny" results and last transcript from Junior High. I don't even know if Cambridge will look at my High School leaving certificate since my offer is based only on Matura results.

So yeah. I don't think bad grades from irrelevant subjects will ruin your application. But be kind to people who just want to help you here. And you really need to work on your essay writing skills since in almost every college there is a pre-interview written work for you to do for Arts subjects.

Feel free to ask more questions :smile:

Where do you go to the liceum? Do they really want to see applicants' 1st year grades? I was almost sure that while applying through UCAS we are only asked to share 2nd year grades, PS, predicted matura results, references and nothing more
Where do you go to the liceum? Do they really want to see applicants' 1st year grades? I was almost sure that while applying through UCAS we are only asked to share 2nd year grades, PS, predicted matura results, references and nothing more

You don't need to share your 2nd grade results trough UCAS (I didn't). Cambridge asks for your High School Transcripts trough SAQ (their own additional application). You should read about it on their website.

I go to State Warsaw Staszic High School no 14

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending