Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Hi, I am 26 and halfway through an Access to Medicine course, I previously set my sights on Nursing but medicine is always what really interested me, and for the past few years I've been doing as much as I can both academically and in other areas to improve my chances.

I accept that medicine is fiercely competitive, and in no way do I feel it is my god given right to become a doctor, I appreciate many students get turned away, but the experience I have gained has given me great insights into a variety of areas in medicine, and there is no other career path I would like to choose, this is the problem.

I have 2 more choices on my UCAS remaining and should I not get interviews I really do not know what else to do, but I am trying my hardest to find something else which would be fulfilling for me.

Being a Mature student who has worked full time in industry and healthcare over the years, whilst studying in my spare time, I really don't like the idea of a full time degree with just science and no vocation involved which have an element of ambiguity about graduate prospects, so when people suggest I do Biomed or Pharmacology, I really don't feel compelled to spend three years of my life dedicated to this, again I would have felt different quite a few years back.

I am really not wanting to go to University just for the experience (right of passage), I want to do something I feel passionate about with a really worthwhile job at the end, so with medicine looking doubtful, I am stuck for ideas

ReputationRep:
    If you feel that strongly, then don't put down degrees that you don't want to do. Plenty of unis accept Access to Medicine for entry to their full medical degrees. I know that Southampton definitely give Access applicants fair consideration.

If medicine is what you want to do, then there's no suitable safety net. A different degree is going to be pointless as an alternative unless it will get you to your ultimate goal. It would be a huge amount of debt to build up, only to end up no nearer where you really want to be.

In your shoes, I'd forget the concept of insurance choices being different degrees. I'd use all of my choices for medicine and give it my best shot.

(Original post by Klix88)
    If you feel that strongly, then don't put down degrees that you don't want to do. Plenty of unis accept Access to Medicine for entry to their full medical degrees. I know that Southampton definitely give Access applicants fair consideration.

If medicine is what you want to do, then there's no suitable safety net. A different degree is going to be pointless as an alternative unless it will get you to your ultimate goal. It would be a huge amount of debt to build up, only to end up no nearer where you really want to be.

In your shoes, I'd forget the concept of insurance choices being different degrees. I'd use all of my choices for medicine and give it my best shot.
    thanks but ucas simply only let you make 4 choices for medicine

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sam00)
    I think you should keep trying for Medicine don't settle for anything else. Have you done the UKCat or Bmat? Also maybe you should get your personal statement looked at by a professional there are services online that can help improve it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sam00)
    Then in your place I'd put down four medicine choices and leave the fifth blank. If you have a specific goal in mind, there's no point being distracted by a Plan B that you wouldn't want anyway. An insurance choice is only useful if it offers you an option that you might want. What you've told us is that anything other than medicine, won't get you where you want to be. You have a very good background for medicine. Have faith in yourself.

At the very worst, if it doesn't work out you can ask unis for feedback on how to improve your application and try again next year. That has to be better than committing to a degree you don't want to do, which won't get you where you want to be and will leave you tens of thousands of pounds in debt (albeit benign student debt) for no reason.

I only put one degree on my UCAS form and left the other choices blank. I only wanted to do that one course. If I didn't get a place on it then I would have completely rethought my approach and probably not gone to uni full time.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.