Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Edexcel - M3 - 18th May 2016 Watch

Announcements

Am I thinking about this right, theta goes to 0 but then starts increasing as it goes to other side of circle?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BBeyond)
    Am I thinking about this right, theta goes to 0 but then starts increasing as it goes to other side of circle?
    Yeah mate, that's how I did it - theta was defined as the angle that OP makes with the downwards vertical.

Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1463252689.056754.jpg
Views: 83
Size:  103.9 KB

(Original post by Ayman!)
    Yeah mate, that's how I did it - theta was defined as the angle that OP makes with the downwards vertical.
    So like this? Didn't even read that part of the question tbh lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BBeyond)
    Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1463252689.056754.jpg
Views: 83
Size:  103.9 KB

So like this? Didn't even read that part of the question tbh lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
    :yep: Looks right!

(Original post by Ayman!)
    :yep: Looks right!
    Sound cheers man

ReputationRep:
    Who is willing to share any exam TIPS or TRICKS for this M3 exam.......

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by justthatboy)
    Who is willing to share any exam TIPS or TRICKS for this M3 exam.......
    Just have good working out and the 100s is there for grabs. M3 is just mistake land.
    ****ing retarded it is.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    If a question tells me to calculate the magnitude of the resultant force on a particle, why do I have to calculate the magnitude of acceleration and sub it into F=ma. It kind of makes sense but I don't fully understand the reason why

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JustDynamite)
    If a question tells me to calculate the magnitude of the resultant force on a particle, why do I have to calculate the magnitude of acceleration and sub it into F=ma. It kind of makes sense but I don't fully understand the reason why
    |F|=|ma|=m|a| since m>0.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by physicsmaths)
    |F|=|ma|=m|a| since m>0.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Ah, Thanks man.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JustDynamite)
    Or you could do it in the other order. Substitute your acceleration into F = ma and then find the magnitude of the force.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tiny hobbit)
    Or you could do it in the other order. Substitute your acceleration into F = ma and then find the magnitude of the force.
    If a circular motion question has 'prove the time is less then 2pi...'
    This would mean T>0 and I neglected the equality at 0 since it was 'less then 2pi'.
    In specific I am talking about this question 6 https://8a40d6c38bafca75cc407741c0f3...%20Edexcel.pdf

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    If a circular motion question has 'prove the time is less then 2pi...'
    This would mean T>0 and I neglected the equality at 0 since it was 'less then 2pi'.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    That's the right approach. There have been inconsistencies in questions involving strings in M3, sometimes using T > 0 and sometimes using T >= 0. If you are asked to "show ...", start with whichever version of the inequality will lead to the result you are asked to show.

ReputationRep:
    That's the right approach. There have been inconsistencies in questions involving strings in M3, sometimes using T > 0 and sometimes using T >= 0. If you are asked to "show ...", start with whichever version of the inequality will lead to the result you are asked to show.
    Thanks, that is what I do but i was just woriried since the Mark scheme said otherwise and implied the time is achievable. And used t>=0 but didnt address t>0 in the MS at all.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, that is what I do but i was just woriried since the Mark scheme said otherwise and implied the time is achievable. And used t>=0 but didnt address t>0 in the MS at all.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I see what you mean. To my mind, the version in the mark scheme doesn't tie in with what the question asked. Mark schemes for papers since then, IAL and home, have been consistent with the question asked.

If there is a rod rather than a string, the speed has to be > 0 at the top, otherwise it will just stay there.

ReputationRep:
    Bring it on Edexcel

ReputationRep:
    I see what you mean. To my mind, the version in the mark scheme doesn't tie in with what the question asked. Mark schemes for papers since then, IAL and home, have been consistent with the question asked.

If there is a rod rather than a string, the speed has to be > 0 at the top, otherwise it will just stay there.
    Yes it find the critical value.
    So from now it is T>=0 and then v^2>0 for a rod right?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yes it find the critical value.
    So from now it is T>=0 and then v^2>0 for a rod right?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I honestly don't know for the tension. As I said, there has been inconsistency in the past.

ReputationRep:
    Just did Jan 2014 IAL and found it a fair bit harder than any of the non IAL ones

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Messier31)
    Just did Jan 2014 IAL and found it a fair bit harder than any of the non IAL ones
    Yeh it was. The moments was the one I found difficult. I did overocmplicate it though.

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.