Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Edexcel - M3 - 18th May 2016 Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by physicsmaths)
    Here you goAttachment 532929
    Hopefully it is readable.
    Attachment 532923Attachment 532923Attachment 532923532925

Ah, that makes a lot of sense.That question is brutal, thanks so much man I really appreciate it.

Here you goAttachment 532929
    Hopefully it is readable.
    Attachment 532923Attachment 532923Attachment 532923532925
    Such a **** q not hard at all yet so easy to **** up

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BBeyond)
    Such a **** q not hard at all yet so easy to **** up
    Yeo thats M3 for ya haha. ****ing m,g a, l ,k, r ,h. Too much mate, too much.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Did anyone do the 2016 Jan IAL paper? that ****ing cone problem pissed me off. The whole exam was easy but then this deceivingly hard problem comes in and kicks you in the balls -_- . I drew the cone as a right angle on the plane hence why I got it wrong.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oShahpo)
    Did anyone do the 2016 Jan IAL paper? that ****ing cone problem pissed me off. The whole exam was easy but then this deceivingly hard problem comes in and kicks you in the balls -_- . I drew the cone as a right angle on the plane hence why I got it wrong.
    I thought it was nice. Weirdly I found the whole exam hard since there were places to trip you up everywhere.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I thought it was nice. Weirdly I found the whole exam hard since there were places to trip you up everywhere.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    The only bit that was unusual I thought, apart from the cone, was the question about the total distance. X will only give you the distance if the particle is moving in one direction, if it flips directions you get the displacement. So you have the find the two displacements and add them up. Apart from that I think the rest was normal M3 stuff.

ReputationRep:
    Do you guys know if it's okay to use the SHM circle method to find the time? It's much much much easier than using equations, but I have never seen it in a marking scheme even though it's included in the syllabus.

ReputationRep:
    For some reason I feel like we have the exam tomorrow (17th).

Ever since missing my GCSE maths exam I'm so paranoid about this stuff.

ReputationRep:
    Do you guys know if it's okay to use the SHM circle method to find the time? It's much much much easier than using equations, but I have never seen it in a marking scheme even though it's included in the syllabus.
    It is in the alternatives(which get published now so you can see it in 2015 MS aswell) so feel free touse it. I used tonuse but made mistakes so I just stopped lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    physicsmaths

https://gyazo.com/db515e7d0736c94909d4c57a9f652f8b

Have we ever had to use this? I'm not even sure I would know where to use it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Louisb19)
    physicsmaths

We don't. Never seen it in any of the past papers or the problems in the book. In fact, I have never even seen a vector circular motion problem in the book or the past papers even though the book does touch on it. Weird.

ReputationRep:
    good luck kingaaran the god of maths :adore::adore:

ReputationRep:
    physicsmaths

Na I have never seen it in practice tbh. We can just differentiate to get that since dtheta/dt is omega anyway

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    physicsmaths

You use the first bit all the time. When you resolve radially, the centripetal acceleration is given by \frac{v^2}{r} = \omega^2 r. That's all the book is saying. Admittedly the tangential acceleration isn't used at A-Level but it's not much of a leap. (just differentiate the former)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zacken)
    You use the first bit all the time. When you resolve radially, the centripetal acceleration is given by \frac{v^2}{r} = \omega^2 r. Admittedly the tangential acceleration isn't used at A-Level but it's not much of a leap.
    Yeah I was talking about the second part.

ReputationRep:
    What are you guys planning to do tomorrow? I have done all the past papers and I still feel a bit insecure .

ReputationRep:
    physicsmaths

We don't. Never seen it in any of the past papers or the problems in the book. In fact, I have never even seen a vector circular motion problem in the book or the past papers even though the book does touch on it. Weird.
    Na I have never seen it in practice tbh. We can just differentiate to get that since dtheta/dt is omega anyway

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You won't have to use the second bit in M3, but it does explain why you have to resolve along the radius, not vertically or horizontally in general, since there is acceleration along the tangent.

ReputationRep:
    Hi all, I heard someone talking about the January 2016 IAL paper and had a question about the SHM question (5d). How come when you find the time it takes for the displacement on the other side of the equilibrium position you don't set x = -0.2? the mark scheme uses x= 0.2.

Link to the paper: https://drive.google.com/folderview?...jV3SzBabTE4NDQ

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alby1234)
    Hi all, I heard someone talking about the January 2016 IAL paper and had a question about the SHM question (5d). How come when you find the time it takes for the displacement on the other side of the equilibrium position you don't set x = -0.2? the mark scheme uses x= 0.2.

Link to the paper: https://drive.google.com/folderview?...jV3SzBabTE4NDQ
    Just convention that they have used it a different way. I did it your way and get the same answer.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ayman!)
    Zacken does this look familiar to you?

TeeEm was way ahead of his time...
    hi, im new to the thread . i was wondering if anyone could explain me part b)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.