Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Foutre en L'air)
    Looks like I'm the only one who ****ed it up
    How badly?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pinksmartiee)
    yupppp agreed.
    I just didn't like the last part of the last question.. Getting the amplitude of the new shm. I somehow got 1.something.. which is larger than the original 0.8m I'm just waiting for somebody's model answers :P
    Unlucky :/ Nice thing about mechanics is all the method marks you can pick up

ReputationRep:
    People who screwed up are unlikely to comment about it, so don't worry.

ReputationRep:
    What makes you think it went badly? I'm sure it's not as bad as you think

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    If you write down two answers, one which is correct and the other incorrect. Do examiners ignore the incorrect answer and still give the marks?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ombtom)
    How badly?
    (Original post by Euclidean)
    What makes you think it went badly? I'm sure it's not as bad as you think

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Screwed up Q2 by doing the triangle the wrong way around so my answer was 6; couldn't do 6(b) at all probably no marks there and I've probably drobbed at least 5-7 marks in other places.. Definitely a C, if not scraped B.

ReputationRep:
    So in the first question I made a stupid mistake, found dv and multiplied by v but then wrote squared on the denominator instead of cubed and used that as acceleration to find force. How many marks does anyone reckon that will lose?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Khed Aydi)
    If you write down two answers, one which is correct and the other incorrect. Do examiners ignore the incorrect answer and still give the marks?
    At the start of every mark scheme it says something like "if they provide two solutions, mark both and award the highest mark. If one is crossed out, ignore it. If both are crossed out, mark both".

Screwed up Q2 by doing the triangle the wrong way around so my answer was 6; couldn't do 6(b) at all probably no marks there and I've probably drobbed at least 5-7 marks in other places.. Definitely a C, if not scraped B.
    I turned it around too (it made y a bit simpler). My answer was also 6cm. All you had to do from there was 9-6 = 3cm, so you probably only dropped 1 or 2 marks!

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, in question 6b they said that the particle completed a semicircle, all we need to do is solve for T at top >=0 and prove that the radius of oscillating with peg is =< 1/2l, then AB is >= 1/2l right?
    Just to be sure I didn't misread it

ReputationRep:
    Im praying to get as many method marks as possible for this paper

ReputationRep:
    does anybody have model answers or the questions?

ReputationRep:
    At the start of every mark scheme it says something like "if they provide two solutions, mark both and award the highest mark. If one is crossed out, ignore it. If both are crossed out, mark both".

I turned it around too (it made y a bit simpler). My answer was also 6cm. All you had to do from there was 9-6 = 3cm, so you probably only dropped 1 or 2 marks!
    Yep! I flipped it too to get a nicer equation and just did 9-6

Since this question was very geometrically based (distance from AB), there's no way they wouldn't accept our method

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DesignPredator)
    My answers are

1a) 1/3 N
    b) 7 s
    2 3cm
    3a) 3.57m
    b) 24 ms-2
    4a) Shown
    b) 18.4
    5 Shown
    6a) sqrt(3gl/2)
    b) Shown
    7a) SHM Proved Period 2pi/5
    b) 4 ms-1
    c) 0.483 s
    d) SHM Proved Omega=sqrt(125/8)
    e) 0.632 m
    Ah I got 10.5 for 1b?!?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maths2002)
    Hey guys, in question 6b they said that the particle completed a semicircle, all we need to do is solve for T at top >=0 and prove that the radius of oscillating with peg is =< 1/2l, then AB is >= 1/2l right?
    Yea

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Student403)
    Yep! I flipped it too to get a nicer equation and just did 9-6

Since this question was very geometrically based (distance from AB), there's no way they wouldn't accept our method
    Hey I thought you were hours ahead of UK time; who does the IAL paper?

ReputationRep:
    someone please tell me how many marks i may drop in that 9 mark tension question... i considered the radius as l/2 sin30 instead of l/2 tan30 and it messed up my horizontal equation however i got my vertical equation correct and submitted the show that answer into it to find the tension in B and then this worked out for the part b question show that. However, I did continue with my horizontal equation but did not get the show that and i am just wondering how many marks i may get out of the 9 marks. Considering i got the tension in B correct using the show that. I did the method all correct, just the radius messed up everything... Many thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maths2002)
    (Original post by oShahpo)
    Yea

Almost.

T must be > 0, not >= 0. This shows that the radius of the peg < 1/2l, which shows that AB >= 1/2 l

ReputationRep:
    Have voted and looked at last year's voting and UMS
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=4094789

ReputationRep:
    Hey I thought you were hours ahead of UK time; who does the IAL paper?
    I'm 2 hours ahead (daylight savings shiz) so I started my exam at 10:45am, which is 8:45am for you guys. Ayman did IAL

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Student403)
    out of interest how do the markers deal with small algebraic slips? I mean last year I got 70/75 , the lost marks i assume to a small slip or two but idk. If say it you miswrote down a number at the beginning of a 10 marker but the rest correct from the number you started with, how many could you lose? I imagine itd be about 2 or so but who knows

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.