Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Edexcel - M3 - 18th May 2016 Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by physicsmaths)
    Now im paranoid i left the time answer as less then sqrt(2g/l) I always do this.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You forgot the \pi or what?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Insight314)
    You forgot the \pi or what?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Na i had a pi there. Im paranoid i switcced g and L. I doubt i did since I looked at my answer and then looked at the show that answer. And turned the page thinking yep. Its just i recall 2g/l but i think im just getting confused lol.

ReputationRep:
    Everyone seems to be saying the first question is 1/3N, but i swear the acceleration was 1/3 and the mass was 0.5, so the force was F = ma = 1/6N?

ReputationRep:
    Now im paranoid i left the time answer as less then sqrt(2g/l) I always do this.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I did the same thing but I noticed it in time You probably haven't. I am always paranoid about not putting in the right candidate number, but I am always wrong. Probably just post exam paranoia..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tgyhujikol59)
    Everyone seems to be saying the first question is 1/3N, but i swear the acceleration was 1/3 and the mass was 0.5, so the force was F = ma = 1/6N?
    Yea you're right. It was -1/6 I think.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oShahpo)
    Yea you're right. It was -1/6 I think.
    Nope

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Na i had a pi there. Im paranoid i switcced g and L. I doubt i did since I looked at my answer and then looked at the show that answer. And turned the page thinking yep. Its just i recall 2g/l but i think im just getting confused lol.
    All right. What do you think of what I said above?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Nope

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I am fairly certain there was 1/6 in the question.

ReputationRep:
    Guys for question 2, like some people here I also flipped the triangle and got y as 2x/3 and ended up getting 6 cm as my answer but then I thought I remembered the equation wrong and just added a 1/2 in front of the integral of xy dx and ended up getting the correct answer which is 3. Im wondering how many marks I would lose for that :/

ReputationRep:
    I got acceleration magnitude as 2/3 making the resultant force 1/3N

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Are we allowed for error carry forward in M3? Because in the question 7, I got root(20) instead of 5 for omega, and i used that omega to calculate the rest for the question.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nthyy)
    yea me too and i couldn't find a thread for M3 IAL

i remember there's a question about showing that OB<l ? sigh idk how to prove that but i think the answer for part b) is 15l/16?

oh and there's a question about SHM (the water level and ladder one)
    i'm so confused about the last part of the question (i think i've calculated 11 hours? idk) i think i've ****ked up my paper
    Yup its 15l/16. For part A showing OB<l, i showed that the work done against friction when it moves 1/4l is less than the EPE stored inside the string initially. (i.e. 0.1mgl<0.125mgl), so that the particle P is still moving, but idk if this is the most appropriate method.

The ladder one is so confusing(i mean part b)!! I dun even understand what the hell it is asking, i had to skip that part and do it later. my answer is 9.xx hour. (provided that the question means water level rises from "bottom of ladder" to top and falls back to "bottom of ladder", 9.xx hour would be the time for 1 cycle for this) Sigh.

ReputationRep:
    Nope

Posted from TSR Mobile
    nope

v = 12/(x+3)

m = 0.5

work out F at x = 3

F = ma = mv(dv/dx)

v = 12(x+3)^-1
    dv/dx = -12(x+3)^-2

so at x = 3, dx/dx = -12(6)^-2 = 1/3

v = 12(3+3) = 2

m = 1/2

mvdv/dx = 2 * 1/2 * 1/3 = 1/3N

Unofficial mark scheme anyone?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Euclidean)
    I got acceleration magnitude as 2/3 making the resultant force 1/3N

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Do you remember what the value of x was?

ReputationRep:
    I think velocity was 12/x+3, making the acceleration -144/(x+3)^3. So Force was -72/(x+3)^3..... when x=3, then magnitude of force was 1/3??.. I think??

ReputationRep:
    no 12x12x0.5/(x+3)^3 was force magnitude.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Student403)
    nope

v = 12/(x+3)

m = 0.5

work out F at x = 3

F = ma = mv(dv/dx)

v = 12(x+3)^-1
    dv/dx = -12(x+3)^-2

so at x = 3, dx/dx = -12(6)^-2 = 1/3

v = 12(3+3) = 2

m = 1/2

mvdv/dx = 2 * 1/2 * 1/3 = 1/3N
    Do you remember what the second bit of the question was? Was there even a second bit?
    Do you remember how many marks this bit was for? I might have not done it correctly, can't exactly remember though.

ReputationRep:
    Well, I do need to get A in Physics for my offer, and unit 1 is the easiest module so I should aim to get 100 UMS on it. When saying that I will be revising M4/M5 during the holiday, and not that much (still a few papers) in the next two weeks, I didn't mean that I will be doing only M4 and M5 during the holiday. My plan is to do a lot of papers and revision for Unit 1 Physics this weekend and get ready for the exam on Tuesday, then revise for Chemistry unit 1 next Friday (2 day gap). Whilst doing so, I will be trying to do some M4/M5 papers and DEFINITELY continue doing 3 STEP papers a week. During the holiday, I will revise the other exams I got during June which includes M4 and M5, and also do 1 STEP paper a day.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    sounds good

ReputationRep:
    Do you remember what the second bit of the question was? Was there even a second bit?
    Do you remember how many marks this bit was for? I might have not done it correctly, can't exactly remember though.
    not sure on how many marks. It was like find t when x = 10

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Break up or unrequited love?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.