ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Euclidean)
    (0.5+0.3)x (double dot) = -15.4(x)/1.3

I believe, not 100% confident on the modulus of elasticity

Posted from TSR Mobile
    mod was 15. length was 1.2

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gagafacea1)
    Okay but didn't it seem like a weird question? Only because we did the exact same thing in (a).
    very weird. I was doubting myself
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Student403)
    very weird. I was doubting myself
    I think it was mainly so we got omega to set us up for the last bit

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Krollo)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Fair point. Seems free marks in retrospect

ReputationRep:
    To prove the SHM, it's the same thing as in the beginning, except the mass of the particle is 0.8 kg instead of 0.3 kg (if that was right) and also it starts from origin (so it's a sin function).

For amplitude, calculate the velocity at the centre of oscillation using conservation of momentum.

0.3*(Vmax of the initial oscillation) = 0.8(Vmax of new oscillation)

Vmax of new oscillation = Amplitude*angular speed.

Angular speed comes from the SHM equation, thus allowing you to calculate the amplitude.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ayman!)
    SHM ones and elastic string ones are different for me. Everything else seems to be okay.
    what did you get for the SHM ones?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Krollo)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah probably

Fair point. Seems free marks in retrospect
    Exactly why I was doubting myself! Honestly this is why i have a love-hate relationship with Show-that questions, on one hand I love knowing what my answer should be, but on the other, no matter how much I put in, I still think it's not enough.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Velywen)
    To prove the SHM, it's the same thing as in the beginning, except the mass of the particle is 0.8 kg instead of 0.3 kg (if that was right) and also it starts from origin (so it's a sin function).

For amplitude, calculate the velocity at the centre of oscillation using conservation of momentum.

0.3*(Vmax of the initial oscillation) = 0.8(Vmax of new oscillation)

Vmax of new oscillation = Amplitude*angular speed.

Angular speed comes from the SHM equation, thus allowing you to calculate the amplitude.
    0.5*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gagafacea1)
    Yeah probably

Exactly why I was doubting myself! Honestly this is why i have a love-hate relationship with Show-that questions, on one hand I love knowing what my answer should be, but on the other, no matter how much I put in, I still think it's not enough.
    Yeah exactly xD

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nthyy)
    what did you get for the SHM ones?
    24/49 = 0.490 and 8 hours 19 mins. How did you do the elastic string one? It was so easy yet I might have messed it up - got 11/16. These are the only two that could pretty much make or break my paper

ReputationRep:
    0.5*
    Yeah that, im terrible at remembering numbers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dsefton)
    How many marks am I likely to lose for saying T>0 rather than T>=0 for question 6b (show that AB>=l/2) given that all my other working was correct? Also am I likely to lose a mark as I put -1/3N for the 1st question and it apparently asked for the magnitude?
    I did the same for the first question... Hoping I won't lose any marks but they can't penalise anymore than 1 or 2 if we do... the method to get there was right at most we probably lose an Accuracy mark? Hopefully.

With regards to the T>=0 I have no idea, logically again it might be one or 2 but shouldn't be too many, not enough to affect a grade overall unless you are borderline... hopefully someone agrees with me on this though...

ReputationRep:
    24/49 = 0.490 and 8 hours 19 mins. How did you do the elastic string one? It was so easy yet I might have messed it up - got 11/16. These are the only two that could pretty much make or break my paper
    Did get 0.490 meters per hour?
    wht was the time period you used

ReputationRep:
    So.... Is anyone going to make a hitler video?

ReputationRep:
    This is how inconsistant edexcel is. In the UK paper in one question they used T>=0 and the other question the use T>0, they really need to sort it out!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by physicsmaths)
    This is how inconsistant edexcel is. In the UK paper in one question they used T>=0 and the other question the use T>0, they really need to sort it out!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Exactly. Although my personal vendetta is one year it will be >= and the next year > . We need consistency!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Velywen)
    So.... Is anyone going to make a hitler video?
    Do you think it's worthy of a Hitler video?
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by physicsmaths)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Lmao I noticed that. Very slack of them.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nthyy)
    yes and i spent most of the time understanding the question (sigh but i got it wrong)
    i remember some of the answers but most of them are probably wrong, idk i think i really screwed up my paper

horizontal circular motion - prove
    SHM - a) prove + b) period (is it 2pi√a/g?)
    SHM (ladder) - a) speed(1.54mh-1?) + b) length of time (sigh idk)
    vertical circular motion - a) prove + b) distance AC? (i think i got 0.6m)
    gravitation - a) prove + b) U=√(2/21)gR
    elastic string - a) prove OB<l, b) distance OB (15l/16)
    centre of mass - a) prove CoM of cone + b) angle between OA and c) vertical (38.2°) + d) value of k (11/4?)

now that i think about it, the paper was pretty straightforward except for the SHM part b one!!!
    Im glad to hear AC = 0.6m !! I'm so worried about this omg
    my answers are same as yours !! you will be fine
    except the part b ladder got us confused

ReputationRep:
    i found distance AB by conservation of energy, where loss in EPE = work done against friction (AB= 5l/16)
    then i subtract distance AB from distance OA (which is 5l/4) to find distance OB
    (5l/4 - 5l/16 = 15l/16)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.