The Student Room Group

Dropping Further Maths at A2

Right so I'm currently studying Maths, Further, Physics and Economics at AS.

I am not entirely sure what I want to do in the future. Some form of engineering most likely, but anything maths/science related for sure. I also can't decide between uni and an apprenticeship.

So anyway, of the subjects I am doing, Further Maths is unsurprisingly the hardest. I've also heard that it's very tough at A2. I chose it in the first place as I knew that, despite how tough it was, it could potentially give me that edge over people just studying maths when applying for uni/jobs.

Which brings me onto my dilemma. How useful would an A2 in Further Maths be over just an AS? Would I still get that "edge" if I only have an AS in Further Maths? I don't want to risk doing it for A2 and ending up with a B/C, when I could have got an A in another subject.

The alternative would probably be dropping Economics. I know it's obviously not as useful as FM for engineering and related courses, but isn't just an AS in FM good enough?
(edited 8 years ago)
You've already put 5 months into your further maths A2. There's no point in dropping it.
Reply 2
Original post by morgan8002
You've already put 5 months into your further maths A2. There's no point in dropping it.

Sorry, typo :'D I meant I'm currently doing AS. I corrected it now.
Original post by aadil10
Sorry, typo :'D I meant I'm currently doing AS. I corrected it now.

DONT YOU DARE DROP IT! You can get through this I also do further maths! You just need to work hard and you can to very well in it :biggrin: we havent even started FP1 yet so look at my situation so you can do well in it all it takes is hard work determination and most of all A FIRE IN YOUR BELLY TO DO WELL!
Don't give up, don't drop it, you could use it at an interview saying 'i didnt drop further maths when i found it difficult and then i did really well with my grade of '...' '
Whatever grade you aiming for :smile:

all the best we can do this!
Original post by aadil10

I am not entirely sure what I want to do in the future. Some form of engineering most likely, but anything maths/science related for sure. I also can't decide between uni and an apprenticeship.

So anyway, of the subjects I am doing, Further Maths is unsurprisingly the hardest. I've also heard that it's very tough at A2. I chose it in the first place as I knew that, despite how tough it was, it could potentially give me that edge over people just studying maths when applying for uni/jobs.

Which brings me onto my dilemma. How useful would an A2 in Further Maths be over just an AS? Would I still get that "edge" if I only have an AS in Further Maths? I don't want to risk doing it for A2 and ending up with a B/C, when I could have got an A in another subject.

The alternative would probably be dropping Economics. I know it's obviously not as useful as FM for engineering and related courses, but isn't just an AS in FM good enough?

It really depends on your aptitude for the subject. It is a respected subject, I would say, and it certainly does become challenging at A2. However, while it is challenging, it simply boils down to how much practice you are willing to do.

I think the extent of its difficultly is determined significantly by the volume of practice that is done - the more practice you do, the more routine the ideas become and the more intuition you form.

In terms of giving you the 'edge', I think it would demonstrate a greater mathematical ability - which is very valuable for engineering.

Ultimately, my advice would be to really consider whether or not you enjoy the subject. If you enjoy maths, and are willing to resiliently do maths, then I think you will find the A2 fine.
Reply 5
Original post by aadil10

Having a mindset like that is not going to take you anywhere in life
what i want you to do is pick yourself up and you are going to finish this course whether it kills you. Put all your effort in and so what if you get a B/C.
The thing is you would had the heart to finish such a demanding course without giving up and you putting all your effort in and i bet my bottom dollar that people will realise your effort and achievement and you will get far in life.
Go out there and prove everyone wrong
Reply 6
I'm in a similar situation, however i do History instead of Physics and I'm not sure if I should drop Further Maths/History.. It's not that I dislike Maths, I just worry that i won't do too well with it as it's an overwhelming amount of content.
Reply 7
Original post by aadil10

I am in a similar situation as you are. Most of my offers don't require Further Maths yet I decided to do it just for fun and now it's proving to be a lot of work. I am enjoying it but I will do much better at the rest of my subjects if I dropped it.
Is there a deadline for doing that?

Quick Reply

Latest