?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Curious
Kvothe the Arcane
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Some do. I used to when I lived in Trinidad as it's like 40% Indian.
asif007
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I don't know any personally, but I wish more non-Asians were interested in Bollywood. I know they're out there somewhere!

It puzzles me as to why Hollywood and English films are enjoyed globally by people of all different races, yet most people are very reserved and reluctant to find out about Indian culture through Bollywood? The most common responses I get from people who say they don't want to watch/listen to Bollywood:

-They don't understand Hindi (answer: use subtitles!)
-They don't like songs in the films (answer: skip the songs or just watch the films which don't have songs)
-They think it's all about dancing around trees, screw the lightbulb/pat the dog (answer: HUGE racial stereotype. Not true at all).

Yes, Bollywood can be an acquired taste, but for those of us who enjoy exploring different forms of entertainment (especially world cinema), where else do you look? It's the biggest film industry in the world with something to cater for all tastes.
troubadour.
Badges: 18
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by asif007)
-They don't like songs in the films (answer: skip the songs or just watch the films which don't have songs)
Bollywood makes those? :rofl:

-They think it's all about dancing around trees
Can you blame them? :dontknow:
asif007
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Hydeman)
Bollywood makes those? :rofl:

Can you blame them? :dontknow:
Yes, there are plenty of films without songs. I can provide you with some examples if you want, just to prove my point.

TBH yes I do blame people for holding such a silly stereotype. If people bothered to take notice of some of the top Bollywood films, they would see that barely any of them involve dancing around trees like they did in the 70's/80's.
SaeedIXVII
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
No
Zezo
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
starting to get suspicious at some of my somalian friends
troubadour.
Badges: 18
Report 3 years ago
Yes, there are plenty of films without songs. I can provide you with some examples if you want, just to prove my point.
Go on, then. Name a few recent ones.

TBH yes I do blame people for holding such a silly stereotype. If people bothered to take notice of some of the top Bollywood films, they would see that barely any of them involve dancing around trees like they did in the 70's/80's.
They've recently replaced dancing around trees with dancing with lots of scantily-clad girls so I guess it's a somewhat outdated stereotype. :rolleyes:
BrokenLife
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I know a few Arabs who do.
Final Fantasy
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Of the ones I've met, I have never been aware that they do.

They've recently replaced dancing around trees with dancing with lots of scantily-clad girls so I guess it's a somewhat outdated stereotype. :rolleyes:
It's been awhile since I've watched any bollywood films but pretty much all of them featured singing and dancing. Of the more recent ones, it was only Piku that didn't have any singing/dancing I think. The last one I've watched was Bajrangi Bhaijaan and that one did have such scenes, but not as much as you'd normally expect.

I agree about the dancing, it's more 'westernised' now. If that even makes any sense.
asif007
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago

Ok then. Here's a list of some films which have no song/dance sequences:

Spoiler:
Show

Black
Piku
Rann
Sarkar
Nishabd
Gangs Of Wasseypur
Black Friday
Talvar
Paan Singh Tomar
That Girl In Yellow Boots
Margarita With A Straw
X - Past Is Present
Qissa
The Lunchbox
Water
Manorama Six Feet Under
Miss Lovely
Manjhi - The Mountain Man
Peepli Live
Kahaani
Chittagong
Aligarh
Shahid
Citylights
Pinjar
Chakravyuh
Ugly

Yawn!
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Who. Gives. A. S***?
asif007
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Final Fantasy)
Of the ones I've met, I have never been aware that they do.

It's been awhile since I've watched any bollywood films but pretty much all of them featured singing and dancing. Of the more recent ones, it was only Piku that didn't have any singing/dancing I think. The last one I've watched was Bajrangi Bhaijaan and that one did have such scenes, but not as much as you'd normally expect.

I agree about the dancing, it's more 'westernised' now. If that even makes any sense.
There's a difference between not liking "dancing around trees" and not liking any song/dance sequences in the films at all. I think people should be more clear about what they don't like in Bollywood films rather than coming up with narrow-minded stereotypes. For me, song and dance sequences are what make up half the experience of watching a Bollywood film. Bajrangi Bhaijaan was an awesome film not just for the songs, but the story and performances too.

Not only that, but aren't musicals a fairly popular genre in Hollywood? Ones like Grease, Footloose, Hairspray, Les Miserables and Mamma Mia are some of my favourites. Even the Coen Brothers' next film Hail Caesar has got a huge song/dance number with Channing Tatum. So there seems to be a huge double standard when it comes to people accepting song/dance sequences in Hollywood films but not Bollywood.
chikane
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
There's a difference between not liking "dancing around trees" and not liking any song/dance sequences in the films at all. I think people should be more clear about what they don't like in Bollywood films rather than coming up with narrow-minded stereotypes. For me, song and dance sequences are what make up half the experience of watching a Bollywood film. Bajrangi Bhaijaan was an awesome film not just for the songs, but the story and performances too.

Not only that, but aren't musicals a fairly popular genre in Hollywood? Ones like Grease, Footloose, Hairspray, Les Miserables and Mamma Mia are some of my favourites. Even the Coen Brothers' next film Hail Caesar has got a huge song/dance number with Channing Tatum. So there seems to be a huge double standard when it comes to people accepting song/dance sequences in Hollywood films but not Bollywood.
Have you decided to become a Bollywood star and what happened with medicine?
chikane
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I don't know any personally, but I wish more non-Asians were interested in Bollywood. I know they're out there somewhere!

It puzzles me as to why Hollywood and English films are enjoyed globally by people of all different races, yet most people are very reserved and reluctant to find out about Indian culture through Bollywood? The most common responses I get from people who say they don't want to watch/listen to Bollywood:

-They don't understand Hindi (answer: use subtitles!)
-They think it's all about dancing around trees, screw the lightbulb/pat the dog (answer: HUGE racial stereotype. Not true at all).

Yes, Bollywood can be an acquired taste, but for those of us who enjoy exploring different forms of entertainment (especially world cinema), where else do you look? It's the biggest film industry in the world with something to cater for all tastes.
I enjoyed Bollywood from the 90's nowadays it's just all about sex.
Final Fantasy
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago

Agreed.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (160)
17.66%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (78)
8.61%
No I am happy with my course choice (540)
59.6%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (128)
14.13%

Watched Threads