In What way ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RayApparently)
    B929 - Driving Reform Bill 2016, TSR UKIP
    Driving Reform Bill 2016

A
    BILL
    TO

Introduce driving re-tests for 70 year olds.

BE IT ENACTED by The Queen's most Excellent Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Commons in this present Parliament assembled, in accordance with the provisions of the Parliament Acts 1911 and 1949, and by the authority of the same, as follows:—

1) Driving Re-Tests
    a) Once a qualified driver reaches the age of 70, his driving license will be suspended.
    b) Once a qualified driver reaches the age of 70, he will have to take a re-test.
    c) If the driver passes the driving re-test, he will gain a new driving license.
    d) If the driver fails the driving re-test, he will not be qualified to drive until he passes the re-test.

2) Drivers Exempt From Re-Tests
    a) Drivers who have passed a driving test anytime from 3 years before their 70th birthday until their 70th birthday will be exempt from Part 1(a).

3) Commencement, Short Title, Extent
    a) This bill will come into effect immediately.
    b) This bill may be cited as the Driving Reform Act 2016.
    c) This bill will apply to the whole of the United Kingdom.
    No, I would not vote for this. it is penalising the experienced drivers on the road, most accidents are caused by the younger drivers. Their was a report ( I know it is a bit out-dated as it was written in 2009) published, here is the link.
    http://www.racfoundation.org/assets/...-%20110511.pdf

Page 7 of this report shows a graph titled figure 6. This graph shows that 23% 15-19 year olds have been in a car crash. Now comparing that with the rest of the age range demographic it pretty much proves that newly passed drivers are bigger risk of acciedents when compared with OAP'S who have an accident rate of around 2%. If you want to retest the old people over the age of 70 who barely crash according to statistics, you will need to retest people who crash within the first two years of learning to drive

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hazzer1998)
    In What way ?
    With helping people afford cars/driving licenses for work.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheHelpfulMan)
    No, I would not vote for this. it is penalising the experienced drivers on the road, most accidents are caused by the younger drivers. Their was a report ( I know it is a bit out-dated as it was written in 2009) published, here is the link.

Page 7 of this report shows a graph titled figure 6. This graph shows that 23% 15-19 year olds have been in a car crash. Now comparing that with the rest of the age range demographic it pretty much proves that newly passed drivers are bigger risk of acciedents when compared with OAP'S who have an accident rate of around 2%. If you want to retest the old people over the age of 70 who barely crash according to statistics, you will need to retest people who crash within the first two years of learning to drive
    The statistics only tell half the story, for instance, suppose that they showed that over 70s caused 10 fatalaties per year, on the other hand those in their 20s caused 1,000. Your logic would immediately jump to "those in their 20s are 100 times more dangerous than those over 70", but now suppose we actually have that there is only 1 over 70 on the road whilst there is a million in their 20s, suddenly those in their 70s are statistically ONE THOUSAND TIMES more dangerous than their younger kin. I think the clearest indicator of this is in the data where when it goes to over 85 the percentage drops off massively, is this because once you turn 85 you are inherently safer? Unlikely, it's far more likely because by the time your 85 you're, statistically, already 6 ft under and cannot harm a fly. It should come as no surprise that when considering the size of the driving population there is an inflexion point when looking at age whereby you are statistically more dangerous after.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    The statistics only tell half the story, for instance, suppose that they showed that over 70s caused 10 fatalaties per year, on the other hand those in their 20s caused 1,000. Your logic would immediately jump to "those in their 20s are 100 times more dangerous than those over 70", but now suppose we actually have that there is only 1 over 70 on the road whilst there is a million in their 20s, suddenly those in their 70s are statistically ONE THOUSAND TIMES more dangerous than their younger kin. I think the clearest indicator of this is in the data where when it goes to over 85 the percentage drops off massively, is this because once you turn 85 you are inherently safer? Unlikely, it's far more likely because by the time your 85 you're, statistically, already 6 ft under and cannot harm a fly.
    I would do differently i would make you resit if you cause an accident due to your driving
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    I would do differently i would make you resit if you cause an accident due to your driving
    i.e. potentially deal with a problem after the damage is done rather than potentially prevent it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    i.e. potentially deal with a problem after the damage is done rather than potentially prevent it.
    So your blaming pensioners for the crashes of everyone on the road. The fact is the older the driver the better. My dad is nearly 60- fantastic driver, my brother is 26, **** driver. Age matters, younger drivers are constantly on the phone where i live.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    So your blaming pensioners for the crashes of everyone on the road. The fact is the older the driver the better. My dad is nearly 60- fantastic driver, my brother is 26, **** driver. Age matters, younger drivers are constantly on the phone where i live.
    So you are rejecting that there is an inflexion point and that people do actually get perpetually safer? There are most certainly situations where elderly people are more dangerous, not least in fairly fast paced situations where they simply cannot keep up with what needs doing as well as their younger kin. It is also not at all unreasonable to suggest that there is a limit to extra experience making you safer in any meaningful way, and it cannot be denied that slower driving comes with risks.

ReputationRep:

That's done by figures, not proportions, there are more young drivers on the road than pensioners.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by That Bearded Man)
    That's done by figures, not proportions, there are more young drivers on the road than pensioners.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Someone who passed yesterday is a higjer risk than elderly. I have been cut up numerous times by drivers om the phone or trying to impre their GF this is usually done by asains and affricans but recently I have an increase of wigga's
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    This is in cessation.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 18, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.