Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

At what age should you have a signature? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

I still don't have a signature and think I ought to get one.

At what age should you have a signature?

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    I've had one since 13- needed it for debit card and signing on to a football team
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    I've ALWAYS thought about this in my head. I never thought someone else actually had the same dilemma! I've always thought that as long as you can scribble something that remotely resembles your name or initials you're safe. I've tried to have a concrete signature but I just cannot hold it together :lol:

ReputationRep:
    I've had one since age 11 because I thought I needed one for when I got famous. Turns out I need it more for signing exam papers.

ReputationRep:
    Around 12/13 when you start getting debit cards and such.

I didn't really have a proper one until I was about 16 which was awkward, as my driver's license has literally just my full name written on it because of my lack of signature.

Definitely by 16 have one

ReputationRep:
    I try to come up with a snazzy, cool signature all the time and always fail. I resort to just writing my name out normally.

ReputationRep:
    Just go onto your TSR settings and add it in now

ReputationRep:
    I made mine up one day when I was 7 and it's just kind of stuck... it's a bit rubbish but I'm stuck with it now since its on bank cards etc.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    I'm 18 and still haven't managed to make my signature particularly consistent... which isn't great.

I got one at 10 - had to sign some papers and statements for court
    stuck ever since

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iEthan)
    I've ALWAYS thought about this in my head. I never thought someone else actually had the same dilemma! I've always thought that as long as you can scribble something that remotely resembles your name or initials you're safe. I've tried to have a concrete signature but I just cannot hold it together :lol:
    Same here, it doesn't help that my handwriting's rubbish either
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iEthan)
    The worst that has happened to me so far is that the guy at the bank gave me a disapproving look. Signatures aren't as important as they used to be, I don't think (still should actually get a proper one though!).
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by similarBlank)
    Same here, it doesn't help that my handwriting's rubbish either
    Same here :lol: my handwriting is appalling.

(Original post by Plagioclase)
    The worst that has happened to me so far is that the guy at the bank gave me a disapproving look. Signatures aren't as important as they used to be, I don't think (still should actually get a proper one though!).
    Ugh… That happened to me the other day. I snapped my card in two and had to sign for a new one and the two signatures I gave were both completely different… so they made me come back with another form of ID as if my passport wasn't enough?!

ReputationRep:
    Mine was just formed from years of writing out my name lazier and lazier... it went from a whole A.Millington right through to A M__

ReputationRep:
    13 when I got my debit card

I needed mine to sign the documentation for my Subaru. Equally importantly I needed my sig (not the arachnophobic boobs thing attached to my TSR posts!) to:

Sign on the dole
    Do driving test
    Obtain firearms license
    Sign the petition to free Peter Sutcliff (I didnt know who she was at the time lol)
    Sign various financial agreements and penalties
    Sign release forms

Have absolutely no idea what age I was when I first done one of these things.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.