Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Trolling? Is it an issue? and what should be done? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

I was just watching this program called "troll hunters" (although I found it very bias).

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode.../troll-hunters

What do you think about trolling? is it an issue that needs to be addressed or is it just freedom of speech?

I personally agreed with the guy who said that you can just turn your device off and that using the web is a choice that people decide they want to use. Everything you post of social media (or online for that matter) is optional, so you must accept criticism and idiot comments.

What are your thoughts?

ReputationRep:
    Trolling is an art form that should be cherished and preserved.

ReputationRep:
    Depebds if its witty bantr or just plain abusive, obviously there is a sliding scale between the two and the issue isn't polar

ReputationRep:
    How apt. TSR is rampant with trolls atm although they aren't quite as sinister and personal as the guys on that programme.

If people in the public eye are on social media then a consequence of that is trolling- it's become normal. It doesn't make it okay but there's no real way of controlling it.

I think people in these situations who are susceptible to trolls should make the decision to either be on SM and ignore it and know that it's trolling or come off of it all together.

There are many celebrities who don't have Twitter/Instagram and I imagine it's for this reason. They already get hounded irl so don't want the extra attention online.

However some of the trolls were actually more like cyber bullies, especially the situation where the school girl committed suicide. So I think this needs to be reportable and accountable because the culprits probably knew her and would be easy to trace.

In terms of the more prolific and seemingly random trolls that is impossible to get a handle on. Although perhaps there should be some kind of measure/law to discourage people if they know they could get big in trouble for doing it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EtherealNymph22)
    How apt. TSR is rampant with trolls atm although they aren't quite as sinister and personal as the guys on that programme.

If people in the public eye are on social media then a consequence of that is trolling- it's become normal. It doesn't make it okay but there's no real way of controlling it.

I think people in these situations who are susceptible to trolls should make the decision to either be on SM and ignore it and know that it's trolling or come off of it all together.

There are many celebrities who don't have Twitter/Instagram and I imagine it's for this reason. They already get hounded irl so don't want the extra attention online.

However some of the trolls were actually more like cyber bullies, especially the situation where the school girl committed suicide. So I think this needs to be reportable and accountable because the culprits probably knew her and would be easy to trace.

In terms of the more prolific and seemingly random trolls that is impossible to get a handle on. Although perhaps there should be some kind of measure/law to discourage people if they know they could get big in trouble for doing it.
    Hmm very interesting comment you made!!

Although I don't think I agree with the bit in bold as surely a troll is a cyber bully? Due to the fact they are making hateful comments? Where do you draw the line?

Even with Cyber bullying, you have got the same issue. Having said that I do not agree with monitoring the world wide web (in that the government can access all your emails, passwords, social media accounts etc) as people say what they truly feel without being worried about being judged.

I agree that they would be far easier to trace and I also think that children who committed suicide although it is deeply saddening. They would probably have done it anyway if they are being bullied in real life too.

For the second bit in bold, I don't agree with as it would still go on and by making it an offence you are actually encouraging it!! Due to the fact that people tend to get an even bigger buzz out of it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mrITguy)
    Hi all,

I was just watching this program called "troll hunters" (although I found it very bias).

What do you think about trolling? is it an issue that needs to be addressed or is it just freedom of speech?

I personally agreed with the guy who said that you can just turn your device off and that using the web is a choice that people decide they want to use. Everything you post of social media (or online for that matter) is optional, so you must accept criticism and idiot comments.

What are your thoughts?
    The concept of trolling is sometimes used to shut down free speech, ideas which are not politically correct or considered "conspiracy theories". It's very easy for people to say they are just trolling and shut them down.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

What are your thoughts?
    Trolling is just a form of internet bullying. It should be policed within reason.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by illegaltobepoor)
    Trolling is just a form of internet bullying. It should be policed within reason.
    I accidently gave you a positive rating :P

No I do not agree with this as not only would this cost far too much money to police. But why should it? if the person is too sensitive to peoples comments online why be on social media at all? its just like spam we don't like it but we just get on with it.

Now if its serious abuse then of course this needs tracking, but again they can just turn the pc off or make sensible choices on what they are posting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by illegaltobepoor)
    What are your thoughts?
    It's a bit difficult, because what Trolling originally was, is not really how it's described now.

In the before-times, Trolling was deliberately posting/saying something (usually controversial) to cause a reaction. It was more or less specifically for the enjoyment of the individual.

Trolling is now just used as a catch-all term for insulting someone over the internet.

The former, in my mind, is perfectly fine and part of the older internet culture.

However, in terms of legality I believe that at the end of the end of the day, it is all just speech. Intentions are often misunderstood, and the victims of any abuse are able to withdraw themselves from such abuse. I think any issues with a persons conduct online, should be dealt with online.

ReputationRep:
    I accidently gave you a positive rating :P

No I do not agree with this as not only would this cost far too much money to police. But why should it? if the person is too sensitive to peoples comments online why be on social media at all? its just like spam we don't like it but we just get on with it.

Now if its serious abuse then of course this needs tracking, but again they can just turn the pc off or make sensible choices on what they are posting.
    Western sockety is so pampered and cuddled its unreal! Lets there be internet police because someone said something i did not like! Will never understand people IMO, if your getting bullied/trolled online, block the person or stop using social media!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Farm_Ecology)
    However, in terms of legality I believe that at the end of the end of the day, it is all just speech. Intentions are often misunderstood, and the victims of any abuse are able to withdraw themselves from such abuse. I think any issues with a persons conduct online, should be dealt with online.
    Is it really so easy to withdraw from abuse, specifically for youth?

Schools now accept homework via the internet. Those without Facebook can become virtual pariahs with no idea what their friends are doing or how they gather. Our phones tell us with a 'Bing' whenever someone has said anything on our social media.

While I am not afraid of such things, I am not part of that generation. Were it my son or daughter, where could they go to get away from bullying without withdrawing themselves from society?

I can't imagine how difficult it must be for younger folk who are subject to constant bullying; They deserve better. How do we resolve it without tramping all over free speech? I don't know.

ReputationRep:
    It always annoys me when I see the word trolling. It used to be a form of online prank, wherein you'd leave an ignorant viewpoint somewhere online and watch as people fall over themselves trying to correct you.

Now things like death threats and bigoted harassment count as trolling. That isn't trolling, trolling wasn't illegal, there are already laws in place to stop people harassing you or sending death threats, I don't know why new laws need to be put in place.

What we should be doing is trying to figure out the motivation of people who are harassing others online. It's probably just attention seeking to some extent, but there could be more to it. I don't think mentally healthy people send death threats.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThatOldGuy)
    Schools now accept homework via the internet. Those without Facebook can become virtual pariahs with no idea what their friends are doing or how they gather. Our phones tell us with a 'Bing' whenever someone has said anything on our social media.
    One of the major advantages of social media and the internet is that you can control what you interact with, and how. You can set up the conditions of your notifications, and you don't have to read everything on facebook. You can block individuals, report them, and so on.

Facebook users are in control of their environment, and do not have to withdraw from social media to avoid what they don't want to see.

ReputationRep:
    One thing you can be pretty sure about on an internet forum:

More than nine time out of ten the use of the word troll is purely to indicate "someone I disagree with so I am going to use this childlike term of troll".

That sums it up. Most people throw the word out (and it is so 10 years ago) purely to poison a debate and in the hope the silly label sticks.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.