Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone!
    As a disclaimer, I'd just like to state that though this may read to be somewhat petty, these are legitimate concerns of mine and I'd like some honest advice from people who go to LSE as to decision making.

I got an offer today to study at LSE in BA Social Anthropology (AAB) and though it's my best offer yet (I also have offers for Manchester ABB, Bristol AAB and SOAS AAA), I'm not sure. I'm incredibly interested in Anthropology and the course being offered, and to the reputation it holds as an institution. However, I've already been to school in London and, though I love it, I'm concerned about a few things.

a) Money - living in London at the moment, I know it's incredibly expensive. How has everyone found this so far, and is it the concern of others too? From my experiences clubbing, I've found I pay between £15-20 on average just for entry into some places. Does this reign true for the places LSE students typically go, too?

b) Social life - I know this comes up time and again in reference to LSE, but I'd really like to know if LSE is as antisocial as I've heard. I know some people might write off the whole question for my asking this, but here goes - is there a stoner community at LSE at all? I work hard and am confident I'd get the grades required to do well at LSE, but I also enjoy down time. I'm a girl, too - not sure if that really factors in but just wanted to make plain I'm not asking about if there's some lads group who smoke blunts and wear huf socks, if you know what I mean... What I suppose I'm also trying to ask is, will I be surrounded by City hopefuls, or is there a community of more lefty types?

When answering, I'd really like it if you could explain rather than state your opinion if you have the time, just so I can fully get a grip on the situation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by unvrsllychllngd)
    Hi everyone!
    As a disclaimer, I'd just like to state that though this may read to be somewhat petty, these are legitimate concerns of mine and I'd like some honest advice from people who go to LSE as to decision making.

I got an offer today to study at LSE in BA Social Anthropology (AAB) and though it's my best offer yet (I also have offers for Manchester ABB, Bristol AAB and SOAS AAA), I'm not sure. I'm incredibly interested in Anthropology and the course being offered, and to the reputation it holds as an institution. However, I've already been to school in London and, though I love it, I'm concerned about a few things.

a) Money - living in London at the moment, I know it's incredibly expensive. How has everyone found this so far, and is it the concern of others too? From my experiences clubbing, I've found I pay between £15-20 on average just for entry into some places. Does this reign true for the places LSE students typically go, too?

b) Social life - I know this comes up time and again in reference to LSE, but I'd really like to know if LSE is as antisocial as I've heard. I know some people might write off the whole question for my asking this, but here goes - is there a stoner community at LSE at all? I work hard and am confident I'd get the grades required to do well at LSE, but I also enjoy down time. I'm a girl, too - not sure if that really factors in but just wanted to make plain I'm not asking about if there's some lads group who smoke blunts and wear huf socks, if you know what I mean... (I'm a more Devendra Banhart type stoner than wake and bake diehard grime fan) What I suppose I'm also trying to ask is, will I be surrounded by City hopefuls, or is there a community of more lefty types?

When answering, I'd really like it if you could explain rather than state your opinion if you have the time, just so I can fully get a grip on the situation.
    Don't listen to the student room anymore!

(a) General life is very affordable, the prices in Tesco do not change radically wherever you are and most of my friends live on £10 a day.

Nights out are what you make of them - pre drink hard and go to student nights at places like saucy, XOYO etc. These are normally £5-10 entry.

(b) LSE isn't anti-social if you aren't. Overnight there is a number of people going out and Fridays are huge! The only cliques form around East Asian minorities.

At least where I stay, there is the kind of culture you are looking for - 100%. Also, the LSE is an extremely Left Wing establishment - it is notorious for this, once you are here. It's hell for a conservative!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.