Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

aren't we just addicted to everything? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    as humans, aren't we just addicted to practically everything life has to offer. if it feels good or even decent we just do it again and again and that's how we build our lives, spend our lives, and actually make decisions in our life( if you think about it deep enough).

no one really classifies it as an addiction unless it's bad for you or "interfering with normal life routine" but isn't normal life routine just addiction to our normal life routine?

like everything that we do, is out of personal gain and some level of addiction?
    Spoiler:
    Show

many things like social interaction, it's basically an addiction to interacting with people is it not? but it's an interaction that stops us from going crazy from being alone so i guess it's a necessity. so how about let's say for example, people with some kind of mental disorder, let's say they get high or enjoy sexual pleasure frequently to help eliminate their symptoms or to perhaps feel a normal level of good. why is it classed as an addiction in this case? when it may just be what they need to function?

if i'm honest I'm not entirely sure what I'm getting at I just want to see other people's opinion on this?

ReputationRep:
    Yes its true.

ReputationRep:
    why do all the deep/philosophical/depressing/weird threads appear after 12:30? Is everyone on here a late night stoner or something?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zargabaath)
    why do all the deep/philosophical/depressing/weird threads appear after 12:30? Is everyone on here a late night stoner or something?
    the font you use makes your posts appear as some kind of thread-virus... it's cool though
    n nah i've been thinking about it for a while now... I guess cause I'm alone with nothing better to do, i decided to ask about it

ReputationRep:
    Might as well face it, you're addicted to love

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by batoot)
    as humans, aren't we just addicted to practically everything life has to offer. if it feels good or even decent we just do it again and again and that's how we build our lives, spend our lives, and actually make decisions in our life( if you think about it deep enough).

no one really classifies it as an addiction unless it's bad for you or "interfering with normal life routine" but isn't normal life routine just addiction to our normal life routine?

like everything that we do, is out of personal gain and some level of addiction?
    Spoiler:
    Show

many things like social interaction, it's basically an addiction to interacting with people is it not? but it's an interaction that stops us from going crazy from being alone so i guess it's a necessity. so how about let's say for example, people with some kind of mental disorder, let's say they get high or enjoy sexual pleasure frequently to help eliminate their symptoms or to perhaps feel a normal level of good. why is it classed as an addiction in this case? when it may just be what they need to function?
    if i'm honest I'm not entirely sure what I'm getting at I just want to see other people's opinion on this?
    have you been watching asapscience again?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ishea16)
    have you been watching asapscience again?
    no i've never heard of them until you just said.

okay so i just watched the first video of theirs that came up "science of cheating" and they are basically putting it down to:
    "cheating is clearly based in biology & genetics for alot of us despite being monogamous"? and they have fully pissed me off
    Spoiler:
    Show
    yeah okay i understand how genetics can make you more susceptible to cheating but is not purely genetic ffs do people not have a moral conscience? Genetics is a factor in many things, and is not an excuse for cheating as they suggest, it's about self-control despite what you are chemically inclined to do?

e.g. people that are hornier due to genetics (e.g high levels of testosterone) doesn't mean they can or it's okay to cause it's genetically defined for them to be like that idk.... maybe it's late and i'm getting emotional over the **** that they're coming out with.

ReputationRep:
    the font you use makes your posts appear as some kind of thread-virus... it's cool though
    n nah i've been thinking about it for a while now... I guess cause I'm alone with nothing better to do, i decided to ask about it
    i am a thread virus
    it's too late for me to even start thinking about this, so i'll just give your thread a bump instead

ReputationRep:
    as a former smoker, caffeine addicted, ex-solvent sniffer who has also experimented with far harder drugs in the past

yes as i replaced my habits with a need for rolex, cash and rolexes

ReputationRep:
    no i've never heard of them until you just said.

okay so i just watched the first video of theirs that came up "science of cheating" and they are basically putting it down to:
    "cheating is clearly based in biology genetic for alot of us despite being monogamous"? and they have fully pissed me off
    Spoiler:
    Show
    yeah okay i understand how genetics can make you more susceptible to cheating but is not purely genetic ffs do people not have a moral science? Genetics is a factor in many things, and is not an excuse for cheating as they suggest, it's about self-control despite what you are chemically inclined to do?

e.g. people that are hornier due to genetics (e.g high levels of testosterone) doesn't mean they can or it's okay too cause it's genetically defined for them to be like that idk.... maybe it's late and i'm getting emotional over the **** that they're coming out with.
    youll get addicted now trust me, i think they are good, obvs you have your own opinion but i think sometimes they give controversial theories to get more people talking about it or something, but there is always some sort of logic

and i completely dsagree with that video
    its just an excuse for people now

i can just imagine a conversation with this
    'how dare you cheat me?!'
    'its in ma blood..:smug:.'

lol

ReputationRep:
    Meh I like caffeine however I've definitely gone a week or two without it (not on purpose as such) and never had withdrawal symptoms. I guess I'm not so easily addicted to substances then

ReputationRep:

Spoiler:
    Show

Yes I think you're right. But I also like to believe that there are humans out there who have picked up on this and like to live a more adventurous life. I hope I can one day meet someone like that.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.